MD-FalconFan13

How much will we miss TeCo?

161 posts in this topic

57 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Not home run threat like Teco.

Like I said in my original reply in this thread, how often did Tevin actually get the chance to show off his homerun ability? It was rare. I think his loss is being overstated.

cwell1 likes this

2 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Like I said in my original reply in this thread, how often did Tevin actually get the chance to show off his homerun ability? It was rare. I think his loss is being overstated.

His 20+ yard runs would have been 5-10 for Freeman. He was just able to get the edge better than him. 

Just now, Yo_Lover said:

His 20+ yard runs would have been 5-10 for Freeman. He was just able to get the edge better than him.

20+ Yard Runs

• Devonta Freeman = 22
  • Tevin Coleman = 21

40+ Yard Runs

• Devonta Freeman = 3
  • Tevin Coleman = 5

Like I said, Coleman rarely got the chance to show off his home run ability. Freeman was pretty much just as much of a threat to break off a long run as Coleman.

GeorgiaBoyz, Geneaut and 1989Fan like this

7 hours ago, FalconAge said:

Lmao Koetter didn't do crap to "make" Antoine Smith. Dude was lightning in a bottle and likewise faded just as quickly.

Well of -course- Smith possessed his athletic qualities all on his own.   At one time the consensus on these boards was Smith was taking up space on the roster but that was about it.  We felt a better back was needed.

Koetter started using Smith in much more innovative ways in order to utilize Smith's speed.  Result was, Smith became a player known for making big chunk plays, similar to what Taylor Gabriel did in 2016 (though Gabriel was much more of a WR).

Eventually Smith left to play for someone else, but it wasn't because Smitty didn't want him. Not sure what happened to Smith after that.... but he wasn't exactly a young player anymore.

Geneaut and ATLSlobberKnockers like this

7 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Yep. Barry Sanders! They both suffered from the same thing, bad OL play. Barry played behind some of the worst OL's imaginable in Detroit. It was amazing he had all the success he did. I can only imagine what kind of numbers he would have had somewhere like Dallas or San Francisco.

Not to mention the QB situation in Detroit was amongst the worse in the league....

Do you realize Green Bay could have drafted Sanders instead of Tony Mandarich?  Imagine Favre and Sanders, and Reggie White, on the same team.  :o

10 minutes ago, egoprime II said:

Well of -course- Smith possessed his athletic qualities all on his own.   At one time the consensus on these boards was Smith was taking up space on the roster but that was about it.  We felt a better back was needed.

Koetter started using Smith in much more innovative ways in order to utilize Smith's speed.  Result was, Smith became a player known for making big chunk plays, similar to what Taylor Gabriel did in 2016 (though Gabriel was much more of a WR).

Eventually Smith left to play for someone else, but it wasn't because Smitty didn't want him. Not sure what happened to Smith after that.... but he wasn't exactly a young player anymore.

He went to TB i think but got hurt. 

egoprime II likes this

9 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Well a big reason for that was because of Steven Jackson being hurt so much. But I hope Ollison gets plenty of touches. I really hope he shows out enough in preseason to be #2 in line behind Freeman. I'm not as big a fan of Ito as a lot of folks here.

Me neither.   I'm still trying to figure out the difference in Ito versus, say, an UDFA like the South Carolina back we had a couple seasons back.  Or any number of FA's out there.

Falconsfan567 likes this

Were gonna miss him and he’s gonna shine being back with Shanahan in San Fran. That being said, I’m sure his production can be made up with all the WR’s we have, but it’s hard to find any running back that can catch and run like he can. Everyone always raves about what  Kamara does for the Taints, but Coleman was just as good for us.

egoprime II likes this

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

20+ Yard Runs

• Devonta Freeman = 22
  • Tevin Coleman = 21

40+ Yard Runs

• Devonta Freeman = 3
  • Tevin Coleman = 5

Like I said, Coleman rarely got the chance to show off his home run ability. Freeman was pretty much just as much of a threat to break off a long run as Coleman.

Just because the oline was **** and sarkisian didn't know how to use Coleman that doesn't mean Freeman had as much big play potential. Coleman could take any run to the house from anywhere. Free can't do that.

Teco will be missed. You never heard of any trouble or mouthing by Teco

Shanny knew how to use Teco skills and that help made the Falcons offense dangerous.

I don't know about Ito being as good as Teco? It will be interesting to see how things work out this year.

13 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I can't use that to knock Coleman or any running back. Why? Do you know which player holds the NFL record for TFL?

Wityout looking has to be Barry Sanders

13 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I can't use that to knock Coleman or any running back. Why? Do you know which player holds the NFL record for TFL?

3 hours ago, PHALCONABERNATHY said:

Were gonna miss him and he’s gonna shine being back with Shanahan in San Fran. That being said, I’m sure his production can be made up with all the WR’s we have, but it’s hard to find any running back that can catch and run like he can. Everyone always raves about what  Kamara does for the Taints, but Coleman was just as good for us.

No kamara has an elusiveness to him that Coleman doesnt.

3 hours ago, egoprime II said:

Me neither.   I'm still trying to figure out the difference in Ito versus, say, an UDFA like the South Carolina back we had a couple seasons back.  Or any number of FA's out there.

Had 6k scrimmage yards and 50 total tds?  Only a handful of runnng backs have ever had that much production.

Depends on Smith’s and Freeman’s health, Ollison’s production, and whoever else. Green is who I think takes that role. I seriously believe we will see a lot of those two.

egoprime II likes this

1 hour ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Had 6k scrimmage yards and 50 total tds?  Only a handful of runnng backs have ever had that much production.

Yeah, I saw that in his bio, and thought we might have hit on another really good back.  Then I saw Ito play....and I kept looking for something, you know, special.   I'm not seeing it.   To be fair Coleman wasn't lights out as a rookie, either....he kept fumbling.  

Here's to hoping Ito is better in -his- second season.  Having a better O line will definitely help.

47 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Depends on Smith’s and Freeman’s health, Ollison’s production, and whoever else. Green is who I think takes that role. I seriously believe we will see a lot of those two.

We also signed an UDFA WR named Olimade Zachaeus….he looks like a keeper to me. Deep speed WR.

Knight of God likes this

33 minutes ago, egoprime II said:

We also signed an UDFA WR named Olimade Zachaeus….he looks like a keeper to me. Deep speed WR.

I like Zacchaeus, but Green is actually taking snaps at RB

egoprime II likes this

9 hours ago, Yo_Lover said:

Not home run threat like Teco.

Tevin ain’t the home run threat y’all claim he is. All I see is a bunch of what ifs instead of facts. He’s  a home run threat that rarely hit for home

GeorgiaBoyz likes this

7 minutes ago, cwell1 said:

Tevin ain’t the home run threat y’all claim he is. All I see is a bunch of what ifs instead of facts. He’s  a home run threat that rarely hit for home

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000001000483/Tevin-Coleman-enters-overdrive-on-43-yard-TD-run

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=28z5bI4asj8

I would have rather kept him and put more emphasis on replacing free in the draft. Coleman was an underutilized weapon in our offense with Sark the last couple years.

I still think where we might miss Teco the most is in our passing game. He had turned into a very good pass catcher ... not just from the backfield but he could split out wide as well. Over his career he's averaged 11 yards per reception versus Free's 8.1 . Free catches more passes, but Teco seems to get more production out of them for yardage and TDs.

MD-FalconFan13 likes this

8 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

20+ Yard Runs

• Devonta Freeman = 22
  • Tevin Coleman = 21

40+ Yard Runs

• Devonta Freeman = 3
  • Tevin Coleman = 5

Are you considering that Freeman had more touches in 2015, 2016 and 2017?

The fact that their explosive play numbers are close says alot about how good a big play threat Coleman was. 

Geneaut and Knight of God like this

1 hour ago, cwell1 said:

Exactly ..