How much will we miss TeCo?

Was watching some old highlights from last year and it hit me like a ton of bricks. I know we have Freeman, Ito and now Ollison but just going through some of our highlights over the last 3 years and it's impossible to not notice the outstanding speed element Tevin Coleman brought to out team. He was a guy that could take a hand-off to the house with the proper blocking. All he needed was one good crease and boom he was off to the races. In the pass game he was an outstanding receiving RB that brought that same break-away speed to screen plays and dump downs.

Yes, we upgraded our line and I think that will help our run game. But I can't help but wonder how much more explosive we could be with better blocking for a speed demon like TeCo. We can no longer say we have one of the best RB tandems in the league. I for one, will miss his speed.

What are your thoughts?

8 minutes ago, GeorgiaBoyz said:

Not much . He excelled with Shanny one year . The buck stopped there for him . Outside of that one season he really wasn’t a game breaker or anything special. Good for a couple big plays but that production can & will be replaced .

He averaged 4.8 per carry last year and had a 1,000 total yard season. 
I don't think he was a top 10 back but he was an important element to our offense. I mean the guy has had about 950+ total yards and at least 8 TDs per season the last 3 years in a row.

Let's not sit here and pretend he didn't matter guys. Not many back up RBs can put up the numbers he can...

Edited by MD-FalconFan13

3 minutes ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

I don't think he was a top 10 back but he was an important element to our offense. I mean the guy has had about 950+ total yards and at least 8 TDs per season the last 3 years in a row.

Let's not sit here and pretend he didn't matter guys. Not many back up RBs can put up the numbers he can...

i agree. He waa quietly better than folks give him crrdit for. For what SF paid him i would have been more than comfortable keeping him.

Honestly I think it will depend on how much Ito has improved, and if Ollison can come on. Most of our RB can catch the ball so there won't be a problem there.

Ito is probably the quickest back after TeCo, so him getting better would be great, plus dude can find hole and slip through when you go back and look at some of his games last season. 

If Ollison can be that powerback we need, you got your one-two punch right there with him and Ito. Not gonna sleep on Hill either TBH as he did show flashes even after his drop during the Carolina game.

The only one I have concern about is Freeman. Not because he's not an effective back, but he's missed 2 seasons now with injury, so his health during the season is the biggest "?".

But the biggest thing is if our O-line can greatly improve with the run blocking. If that happens, we definitely won't miss TeCo that much.

44 minutes ago, GeorgiaBoyz said:

Not much . He excelled with Shanny one year . The buck stopped there for him . Outside of that one season he really wasn’t a game breaker or anything special. Good for a couple big plays but that production can & will be replaced .

1.  Shanny is a better OC than Sark

2.  Our Oline was better in 16

And yet he still put up numbers.  He will be missed 

If Freeman isn't 100%... we're going to miss him a lot.

And we'll of course see how well Quinn can defend against him.  Hopefully Quinn is up to the task.

Speaking of Feeeman.  Has there been any word on his recovery progress?  I've heard about Neal but I don't recall if I've heard anything about Freeman.

36 minutes ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

I’m not discrediting him .. he’s good but we won’t miss him much . I don’t like to pick numbers when it comes to RB . Numbers are one thing game play is another .. for example Mark Ingram has averaged 4.8 YPC the last 4 years ? Do you think NO is really gonna miss him ? Sure but it won’t be hard to make up his production .. it can be made up in many ways . 

As long as Freeman stays healthy, Ito stays healthy & the younger guys give us a few quality snaps per game it won’t be much different .  

I wish we would have kept him and cut Freeman. Freeman won't stay healthy and is a selfish player pulling that contract crap during the SB bye week. Don't make excuses saying that was just his agent since the agent represents the player.

I don't expect Freeman to last past week 3 so we will see how our rookie pans out.

Teco was always supposed to be a complimentary back. He had to ability to go out and run routes and our recent ineptitude at O.C. completely wasted that skillset.

He was more than affordable given his San Fran contract, we signed more than one J.A.G. this offseason who got paid money that could have retained him.

Edited by FalconAge

If the o-line is as good as it should be, we shouldn't miss Coleman that much.  I'm hoping to see them open holes your feeble old granny could average 4.8 through.  

Yep...I just called your granny old and feeble.  Gonna do something about it? 

That's what I thought.  :slick:

You guys are getting caught up on the numbers too much .. Tevin isn’t a feature back for a reason . Not a tough runner, doesn’t have good balance or vision. He’s good but him & his production will be replaced . It’d be much harder to replace a healthy Freeman than a healthy Coleman & that isn’t a knock . 

Feature backs are much harder to replace than gadget/change of pace . We already know what a healthy Freeman is capable of .. that’s the production we’d miss, we saw it last year with Coleman starting the whole year .

I loved Tevin Coleman and his straight line speed. That being said, how many times did he actually get a chance to show that off? It was very rare. I think overall the Falcons offense will be better overall this year despite not having Coleman. It's not a knock against Coleman, just a nod to how much better the OL will be and the offensive system in general.

1 hour ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

Was watching some old highlights from last year and it hit me like a ton of bricks. I know we have Freeman, Ito and now Ollison but just going through some of our highlights over the last 3 years and it's impossible to not notice the outstanding speed element Tevin Coleman brought to out team. He was a guy that could take a hand-off to the house with the proper blocking. All he needed was one good crease and boom he was off to the races. In the pass game he was an outstanding receiving RB that brought that same break-away speed to screen plays and dump downs.

Yes, we upgraded our line and I think that will help our run game. But I can't help but wonder how much more explosive we could be with better blocking for a speed demon like TeCo. We can no longer say we have one of the best RB tandems in the league. I for one, will miss his speed.

What are your thoughts?

@caponine will miss him a lot more than most.....:)