FalconsIn2012

3rd & Short Philosophy: Koetter

258 posts in this topic

Just now, runshoot said:

Well thats thruth of the matter. With Matt and Julio and then Ridley....we will be throwing.

I hate to harp on it, but football is a team sport. Our defense with less than spectacular pass rush and HORRIFIC rush defense, means we will play from behind and from a lower TOP stand point. That means we will have to throw to play catch up.

I know thats not popular around here. Everyone wants rosy outlooks this time of year, but until we see Neal and Allen actually better on the field. Until we see Davison is more valuable than his 735. Until we see Senat improve. Until we see Vic doing something other than rushing up field and being taken out of the play. Until we see if Oliver can play full time CB.... Until then we can only go with how poor our D was last year.

65% passing is about what I expect. Mark me down.

That was last year losing the entire middle of the defense with injury. The way this team is built is to get a 2 score lead and go after the qb on defense. That’s Quinn's philosophy. We don’t want to be in a close game. So we will most certainly try to drill teams on offense. You don’t have Matt Ryan and pay him all that money to all of a sudden be a running team. We are a passing team and that will not change. The thing that will be different is sustaining a lead late in the game by closing it out with running. That’s why ollison was drafted. But make no mistake we are still gonna try and hang 30 plus points on teams. We’re not trying to slow the game down until the 4th qtr hopefully with a 2-3 score lead. DK was doing the same thing with Tampa last year. Drilling teams on offense. That’s what Quinn wants. That’s what blank wants. That’s what TD wants. That’s what fans want. DK has never been a slow the game down coach. It’s not gonna change. He wants big xplosive plays that stresses a defense. That’s the falcons identity. 

athell and falcons007 like this

1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Again, a QB he actually likes and is comfortable with

What does that even mean? DK liked Gerrad, heck he had pro bowl level season with DK. DK liked Winston and even Fitz. When he had healthy Doug Martin, the run game thrives.  DK or OC would call based on strengths of offense. If the Running game, OL is trash the OC is gonna call a pass if the gives best chance to move the chains or score.

14 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

This offseason was clearly a transition to more power base run sets. 

Falcons aren’t going Power man, it will be combination of outside zones and inside zone. There were many games in 2016, where Shanny came with passing then had some running game in 4th quarter. You would want DK to call what is going to be successful and with a lead orchestrate a 4 min or 6 min offense to run the clock.

7 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

That was last year losing the entire middle of the defense with injury. The way this team is built is to get a 2 score lead and go after the qb on defense. That’s Quinn's philosophy. We don’t want to be in a close game. So we will most certainly try to drill teams on offense. You don’t have Matt Ryan and pay him all that money to all of a sudden be a running team. We are a passing team and that will not change. The thing that will be different is sustaining a lead late in the game by closing it out with running. That’s why ollison was drafted. But make no mistake we are still gonna try and hang 30 plus points on teams. We’re not trying to slow the game down until the 4th qtr hopefully with a 2-3 score lead. DK was doing the same thing with Tampa last year. Drilling teams on offense. That’s what Quinn wants. That’s what blank wants. That’s what TD wants. That’s what fans want. DK has never been a slow the game down coach. It’s not gonna change. He wants big xplosive plays that stresses a defense. That’s the falcons identity. 

It was same in 2016, explosive passing game opened the run game depending on match up. KS considered short passing game as Run game.

athell and TheFatboi like this

1 minute ago, falcons007 said:

It was same in 2016, explosive passing game opened the run game depending on match up. KS considered short passing game as Run game.

I was just explaining that. The short pass is an extension of the run game philosophically for the falcons. DK has the same philosophy 

falcons007 and athell like this

18 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Who’s claiming we’ll run the call more? We know who he is and most are fine with it. @Falconsin2012 is the person that’s wanting more runs or balance and that’s who you replied to. I expect DK to be who he’s always been with an explosive offense. Play action is a big part of what we do so we will run the ball but expect us to be 55/45-60/40 pass/run. That’s our identity. It’s not gonna change unless we get rid of Matt Ryan and become a power running team. 

Yeah I see who I replied to. He wants us to run the ball more. My reply was that DK will not change his spots, he wont run the ball more. Historical data shows he likes to throw. People want him to run more but he wont.

5 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Youre confusing me. Im saying the same thing you are. We have matt ryan, we are a passing team. Im saying that we are a passing team. Youre saying that we are a passing team. Im saying We wont be a 50/50 run team. Not with DQ, not with Matt Ryan, Not with DK.

Yes I know we lost the middle of the defense last year. How did we do when GJ and Deon jones came back? Ill save you the stat lookup it was F'ing horrible. So will Neal be back to Neal or will he favor his knee? Will Rico be a step slower? Will Oliver handle full time starter? You cant say so you also cannot say this defense will stop a wet noodle currently.

Then people claimed DK had bad players and was forced to throw. WTF, dude was the head coach and got to pick his groceries. LOL go look at the DK drafts in tampa bay. Ill save you the trouble, there was no commitment to run the ball. He took Defense and a TE first over all. The best he tried was a 3rd round RB and an OT with 6 starts in 2 years.

DK will not run, he hasn't run since his days in Jax. Those days are gone. Go ahead and get your angry posts ready now, because you can expect 65% pass by the end of the season. Its who we are its who DK is.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

6 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

So when you throw, its a pass. Even if you want to "call it" a run. 

65% incoming.

13 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

What does that even mean? DK liked Gerrad, heck he had pro bowl level season with DK. DK liked Winston and even Fitz. When he had healthy Doug Martin, the run game thrives.  DK or OC would call based on strengths of offense. If the Running game, OL is trash the OC is gonna call a pass if the gives best chance to move the chains or score.

A top 10 QB is what I mean.  Was Gerard that

1 minute ago, runshoot said:

So when you throw, its a pass. Even if you want to "call it" a run. 

65% incoming.

I am not gonna be hung up on what’s called. KS had said it many times. Call the play which works, running for sake of balance or passing for sake of balance is no good. As long as the OL, QB and RB are aligned to what ever play is called. If it takes running the ball 50 times to score and win, run the ball. If it takes 50 passes, pass fifty times. 

athell likes this

36 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

A top 10 QB is what I mean.  Was Gerard that

Yes under DK. He ranked 4th in QBR and passed for 28 TD, Brees has 28 TD that season too. Wheels came off in Jacksonville when DG and John fox had a problem. It cost John Fox’s job eventually. 

1 minute ago, falcons007 said:

I am not gonna be hung up on what’s called. KS had said it many times. Call the play which works, running for sake of balance or passing for sake of balance is no good. As long as the OL, QB and RB are aligned to what ever play is called. If it takes running the ball 50 times to score and win, run the ball. If it takes 50 passes, pass fifty times. 

Bingo

falcons007 and Geneaut like this

54 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Exactly. You can’t account for the flow of the game. But most of the time we’re going to throw it anyway on 3rd down. That’s our identity. We’re a passing team. 

You going to Julio Jones or Jacquizz Rodgers?

falcons007, athell and Geneaut like this

Just now, falcons007 said:

Its all good. But its the topic here.

Im just sticking to the OP and his graphic which stated Pass vs Run in certain down and distance. Pass whether short, screen, long, middle, left, right is still a pass.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

Just now, runshoot said:

Just following the OP thread. Sorry that others CAN'T/WON'T kthx

Yeah, I got you.  I mentioned it as well, idgaf what is called as long as it works.

2 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

Exactly. I remember us having a discussion a few years ago about how getting a running game with Winston would make them scary. That’s the only thing I worry about with Tampa. If they get a good running game they will be hard to stop. Imagine if they had Free and Coleman via 2016 with Winston and Evans??  

OJ Howard’s there too, my man. That could be a scary good offense.

How you been? 

TheFatboi likes this

56 minutes ago, athell said:

MM is going to have a say in OL/Running Game as "Offensive Assistant".  DK will be calling plays.  MM will play a part in the run game and ol.

And like I said that’s all fine and dandy but game day DK is gonna use his eyes in the sky to call the best plays to succeed. Not listen to MM on the sideline. The run game will be installed during the week of preparation so whatever run plays is in the plan came during the week. Game day it’s DK and Knapp. Knapp relaying what the defense is doing and DK calling the play based on that assessment. Mularky did his part prepping.  

falcons007 likes this

7 minutes ago, Vandy said:

OJ Howard’s there too, my man. That could be a scary good offense.

How you been? 

I’m great brother. Working on a lot of different things. How about you? 

Vandy likes this

4 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

I’m great brother. Working on a lot of different things. How about you? 

Work is in high gear....I love what I do, but I’ve Been a too busy boy.

you still in LA?

TheFatboi likes this

31 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Work is in high gear....I love what I do, but I’ve Been a too busy boy.

you still in LA?

No I’m in Atl. Been back n forth to miami working tho. 

Vandy likes this

13 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

No I’m in Atl. Been back n forth to miami working tho. 

You’re on the go a lot too...  I was in Miami 2 weeks ago....a lot happening there, new restaurants/clubs on every corner downtown....the Haitian area especially is hopping, I couldn’t believe all the changes there in just the past year. 

TheFatboi likes this

1 hour ago, runshoot said:

Its all good. But its the topic here.

Im just sticking to the OP and his graphic which stated Pass vs Run in certain down and distance. Pass whether short, screen, long, middle, left, right is still a pass.

Gotcha. Sticking to OP here is hard lol. Imagine sticking to trade Matt Ryan or sign Tyrod Taylor threads.

1 hour ago, TheFatboi said:

And like I said that’s all fine and dandy but game day DK is gonna use his eyes in the sky to call the best plays to succeed. Not listen to MM on the sideline. The run game will be installed during the week of preparation so whatever run plays is in the plan came during the week. Game day it’s DK and Knapp. Knapp relaying what the defense is doing and DK calling the play based on that assessment. Mularky did his part prepping.  

Which is what I would hope. It’s important OC has feel for the game on that day to call out right plays. Too many cooks will spoil the bacon. 

2 hours ago, falcons007 said:

2012:  615 passes, 370 rushes

2013:  659 passes, 321 rushes

2014: 632 passes 320 rushes

KS: 537 passes, 431 rushes

Sark 2017:  530 passes 430 rushes

Sark 2018: 617 passes, 351 runs in 

2016 Tampa: 563 passes, 440 rush (good year)

2017 Tampa: 606 pass, 380 rush (bad year)

2018 Tampa: 625 passes, 388 rushes

Its not difficult to see which method works