FalconsIn2012

3rd & Short Philosophy: Koetter

258 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Duff_Man said:

Do we know how often run plays were audibled into passes because the defense was showing strong run stop?

Valid point.  No we don’t 

Lol balance I want to see Big Country lose his balance and drop his 315 plus on opponents at any given opportunity.I watch his tape and he actually takes pleasure in doing that.

Later on in my rugby career when I got slower I used to do exactly the samething accidentally trip and drop my shoulder into guys chests while they were lying on the ground.Actually took pleasure hearing the wind exit there mouth.

1 minute ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Balance.  It’s what I care about.  

Like I said balance for us is about 55/45. And that’s dangerous for anybody we face. Balance also depends on the flow if the game. If we get behind 2 scores early we’re not gonna be balanced anymore. But the situation you’re talking about has nothing to do with overall balance. Your putting a magnifying glass on one aspect of the offense. That has nothing to do with overall balance. 

5 minutes ago, Duff_Man said:

Do we know how often run plays were audibled into passes because the defense was showing strong run stop?

Exactly. You can’t account for the flow of the game. But most of the time we’re going to throw it anyway on 3rd down. That’s our identity. We’re a passing team. 

8 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

So you and @athell don’t agree with the OP?

Here's where I am.  The game of football is a living breathing entity that has ebs and flows.  I want DK to go with what works.  Versus some teams, running on third and short makes sense.  Versus other teams, passing on 3rd and short makes sense.  I would hope he wouldn't just run the ball, or pass the ball, just to establish more even splits.  I want him to orchestrate an offense that is multi-functional in ALL aspects and I want him, as a play caller, to attack the defense's weakness.  I don't care if it's run or pass as long as we move the chains and score points.

4 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Like I said balance for us is about 55/45. And that’s dangerous for anybody we face. Balance also depends on the flow if the game. If we get behind 2 scores early we’re not gonna be balanced anymore. But the situation you’re talking about has nothing to do with overall balance. Your putting a magnifying glass on one aspect of the offense. That has nothing to do with overall balance. 

As I said  in my OP

I honestly think it can be a banner season if our run-to-pass ratio is around 45-55.  We need more 2016 and less 2013-2015”

7 minutes ago, athell said:

Here's where I am.  The game of football is a living breathing entity that has ebs and flows.  I want DK to go with what works.  Versus some teams, running on third and short makes sense.  Versus other teams, passing on 3rd and short makes sense.  I would hope he wouldn't just run the ball, or pass the ball, just to establish more even splits.  I want him to orchestrate an offense that is multi-functional in ALL aspects and I want him, as a play caller, to attack the defense's weakness.  I don't care if it's run or pass as long as we move the chains and score points.

Athell 100 % I’m with this.If one part of it is working better than the other beat them to death with what works before addressing the balance.

Its why we lost that SB we got too cute with it.

Just because teams are expecting something different and we keep giving them the samething don’t change until they prove they can stop it.

falcons007 likes this

16 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

So you and @athell don’t agree with the OP?

It’s not about agreeing. I just feel it’s taken out of context within a 60 minute football game. It’s almost like saying why don’t you run more on 1st down  because that’s a “run down”. Whatever the identity of your team is what you go with. We’re not a power running team so it makes sense to pass in certain situations vs running. Not only that if I have Sanu matched up with a smaller slot corner I’m taking that shot every time on a quick slant. Sanu lead the league on 3rd Downs. It’s a reason for that. It’s more than just 3rd and 2 lets run it for the sake of balance. The flow of the game has a lot to do with it. I’d rather spread a team out where we could pass or run on 3rd down. If the defense has the play sniffed out audible to a run. Matt will do that. It’s just not that big a deal in the grand scheme. I’d rather have a balanced attack overall than magnifying 3rd down balance. That doesn’t paint a full picture. Especially after a full season we’re top 5-10 over the last 7 seasons out of 32 teams along with teams that run on 3rd and 2 and pass on 3rd and 2. It’s all about what works for YOUR team philosophy. 

falcons007 likes this

2 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I am not saying this will continue next year...but when Koetter has a qb he likes, his running game is bottom 7. Every single time.

That needs to change, especially in short yardage situations

Exactly. But people think Koetter will change his spots.

Im sure all these people who think all of the sudden think we will run the ball more, will be the first here to claim they want to fire Koetter. They never learn.

16 minutes ago, athell said:

65-35 pass run = 9 wins

60-40 pass run = playoffs 

55-45 pass run = special season

Thats my prediction

capitan and athell like this

Just now, Falconsin2012 said:

65-35 pass run = 9 wins

60-40 pass run = playoffs 

54-45 pass run = special season

Thats my prediction

That's cool but predictions are pointless.

1 minute ago, runshoot said:

Im sure all these people who think all of the sudden think we will run the ball more, will be the first here to claim they want to fire Koetter. They never learn.

Mularkey was brought in to force the change IMO

2 minutes ago, athell said:

That's cool but predictions are pointless.

An exercise in futility, I agree.  But the point remains, unless we have more balance between run/pass, we won’t be great

athell likes this

2 minutes ago, runshoot said:

Look back at his years here.  He was given the corpses of Michael Turner and Stephen Jackson as his workhorse backs, behind spotty olines.

Tampa.  Crap RB's behind crap OLines.

This season will be unlike any other for DK.  He has capable backs.  He has capable oline.  He has studs all around in the passing game.  DK has NEVER had the level of all around talent in ANY of his pro offenses that he will have this year so before you go ****ing him before he even calls a single play, maybe sit back and watch things develop.  The marriage between DK and MM is more significant than I think people realize.

falconidae likes this

1 minute ago, runshoot said:

Who’s claiming we’ll run the call more? We know who he is and most are fine with it. @Falconsin2012 is the person that’s wanting more runs or balance and that’s who you replied to. I expect DK to be who he’s always been with an explosive offense. Play action is a big part of what we do so we will run the ball but expect us to be 55/45-60/40 pass/run. That’s our identity. It’s not gonna change unless we get rid of Matt Ryan and become a power running team. 

athell likes this

4 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Mularkey was brought in to force the change IMO

There won’t be any change. His job is to coach TE’s. Not the OL. His experience will be vital in what he may see on the field but we have an OL coach that’s getting paid to do a job. 

runshoot likes this

1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

The last two years he was IMO

Even after he benched him for Fitzpatrick?

2 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Who’s claiming we’ll run the call more? We know who he is and most are fine with it. @Falconsin2012 is the person that’s wanting more runs or balance and that’s who you replied to. I expect DK to be who he’s always been with an explosive offense. Play action is a big part of what we do so we will run the ball but expect us to be 55/45-60/40 pass/run. That’s our identity. It’s not gonna change unless we get rid of Matt Ryan and become a power running team. 

This offseason was clearly a transition to more power base run sets. 

1 minute ago, TheFatboi said:

There won’t be any change. His job is to coach TE’s. Not the OL. 

MM is going to have a say in OL/Running Game as "Offensive Assistant".  DK will be calling plays.  MM will play a part in the run game and ol.

ShadyRef and FalconsIn2012 like this

2 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

There won’t be any change. His job is to coach TE’s. Not the OL. 

Disagree there.  I think he is basically the run game coordinator

ShadyRef likes this

1 minute ago, Falconsin2012 said:

This offseason was clearly a transition to more power base run sets. 

I don’t think that necessarily true. We will still run outside/inside zone. The bigger like is about protecting Matt. The line we have is still athletic and can move quickly. Like the Dallas like a few years ago. Big but still ran ZBS. 

capitan likes this

Posted (edited)

9 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Well thats thruth of the matter. With Matt and Julio and then Ridley....we will be throwing.

I hate to harp on it, but football is a team sport. Our defense with less than spectacular pass rush and HORRIFIC rush defense, means we will play from behind and from a lower TOP stand point. That means we will have to throw to play catch up.

I know thats not popular around here. Everyone wants rosy outlooks this time of year, but until we see Neal and Allen actually better on the field. Until we see Davison is more valuable than his 735k saslary. Until we see Senat improve. Until we see Vic doing something other than rushing up field and being taken out of the play. Until we see if Oliver can play full time CB.... Until then we can only go with how poor our D was last year.

65% passing is about what I expect. Mark me down.

Edited by runshoot
FalconsIn2012 likes this

2 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Disagree there.  I think he is basically the run game coordinator

That’s fine but being run game coordinator has nothing to do with calling the plays during the game. Game day DK will call the plays he feels will get the job done. Mukarky wont have any impact on that. 

4 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

I don’t think that necessarily true. We will still run outside/inside zone. The bigger like is about protecting Matt. The line we have is still athletic and can move quickly. Like the Dallas like a few years ago. Big but still ran ZBS. 

We will still be ZBS...but instead of more wide zone, we will be  more tight Zone centric .  More split zone sets