FalconsIn2012

3rd & Short Philosophy: Koetter

258 posts in this topic

Just now, falconsd56 said:

That would be cool....until the first sack happens or the first tackle for loss is given up and then the 8594 threads about how bad the o line is will commence

Lmao so true

Flying Falcon likes this

7 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

That would be cool....until the first sack happens or the first tackle for loss is given up and then the 8594 threads about how bad the o line is will commence

If both start, people need to be prepared for some growing pains next year.  I’d see it as a move to win a title in 2020 at the expense of 2019.  

And I’m good with that

17 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

If both start, people need to be prepared for some growing pains next year.  I’d see it as a move to win a title in 2020 at the expense of 2019.  

And I’m good with that

Considering we play the NFC South at the end of the year, it may be perfect timing.

18 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

And I’m good with that

If both start I fully expect them to have rookie moments. Both of em are coming in with red flags. One in the run game. One in the pass game. The good news is if they get handled we should have enough depth to cover. Finally. Carpenter and Brown at guard. Ty and Wetzel at tackle. They all have plenty of NFL snaps. Not beasts but should be able to gel enough to hold down the fort.

4 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

If both start I fully expect them to have rookie moments. Both of em are coming in with red flags. One in the run game. One in the pass game. The good news is if they get handled we should have enough depth to cover. Finally. Carpenter and Brown at guard. Ty and Wetzel at tackle. They all have plenty of NFL snaps. Not beasts but should be able to gel enough to hold down the fort.

Completely agree.

Youre about to get put on blast for saying Lindstrom has a red flag

Who knows what Kutty will do this yr....let’s reserve judgement til eos. Personnel could dictate what he does on third and short. 

3 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

You've been a fan since 2012 so you should know Kutty prefers a quick screen over a dive play any day of the week. I heard Mularkey will be influencing the run game. If that's the case expect more runs. That will make play action more effective and set up some gadget plays.

We're gonna see as many WR screens as we saw toss sweeps. 

Tim Mazetti likes this

3 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

These are from his time as our OC between 2013-2014

The injuries on OL makes it hard to judge. Heck when your LT is Lamar Holmes, Trunlood and some times a TE like toilolo it’s hard.

3 hours ago, ltstorm2 said:

I think you'll see the opposite.  Teams now have drafted defenses to contend with the spread attacks the NFL is becoming.  The cycle is coming back around to having more power run plays to defeat defenses set up to defend the pass.

It’s interesting to watch how the game evolves and how defense and offense counter through that evolution. 

ltstorm2 likes this

3 hours ago, athell said:

Interesting graph here, peep NE...

jhC2866.jpg

Success rates seem higher across the board for the most part passing vice running...

Where did you get this Tableau graph? And the data source?

athell likes this

2 hours ago, falcons007 said:

The injuries on OL makes it hard to judge. Heck when your LT is Lamar Holmes, Trunlood and some times a TE like toilolo it’s hard.

Whew. We were really scraping the bottom of the barrel back then

falcons007 likes this

5 hours ago, ltstorm2 said:

I think you'll see the opposite.  Teams now have drafted defenses to contend with the spread attacks the NFL is becoming.  The cycle is coming back around to having more power run plays to defeat defenses set up to defend the pass.

I hope so. That was fun football. I loved the TJ Duckett pick because I was looking forward to having a Falcon bulldozer. 

ltstorm2 likes this

10 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

These are from his time as our OC between 2013-2014

RB situation was even worse then. 

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

11 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Dirk Koetter loves to preach balance, yet history shows he is pass happy.  This is especially true in short yardage situations. The graph below is troubling...if the trend continues, our success will run hot & cold with him as our OC.  Over two seasons we only attempted 6 runs on 3rd & 2.  Tragic.  Hopefully the FO had this in mind when rebuilding the OL this offseason

I honestly think it can be a banner season if our run-to-pass ratio is around 45-55.  We need more 2016 and less 2013-2015

ShortYardage-032416-1.jpg

We had a lousy OL back then. After Blalock, Dahl and the Mud Duck left, we have had a suspect OL.  Every OC tried to scheme around that fact.  Shanny did the best job, but even he crapped the bed in the SB trying to scheme around a poor OL.

Let's see how Koetter works with a better OL.  By mid season, the OL should look like this:

Matthews-Carpenter-Mack-Lindstrom-McGary

I think we will see more balance to the offense.  

JDaveG likes this

11 hours ago, ltstorm2 said:

Agreed.  I don't think we will see a return to the old "3 yards in a cloud of dust" but having an improved OL will give us options that we have not had in years.  

Tim Mazetti and ltstorm2 like this

LOL, I really don’t care if they run it or pass it on 3rd, as long as they move the chains.  I’m pretty sure they’ll be reading the D & that’ll be a significant factor in the decision.  With two yards to go we could be facing a stacked box OR a normal 3-4 / 4-3 formation.

2 hours ago, Duff_Man said:

I'm sure this has nothing to do with the fact that in 2013 and 2014 our leading rusher was Steven Jackson and our main backup was Jacquizz Rodgers.

and if you look at the OL personnel for those 2 years it's a whole other level of awful

JDaveG likes this

15 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

You've been a fan since 2012 so you should know Kutty prefers a quick screen over a dive play any day of the week. I heard Mularkey will be influencing the run game. If that's the case expect more runs. That will make play action more effective and set up some gadget plays.

I am hoping that we do get “a whole lot of Mularkey” around here!

FalconFanSince1970 likes this

Run the ball just enough to were the opponents think we're going to run again, And then pass it till they think you going to pass again,, then run it,, And always stick to percentage of success of any situation. Over and Out ,, pass and run... Do it all ,, and at the right times. And don't forget the TEs,, Tony G.. was one hugh weapon.. when we had a must get first down ,, Bang.. right in his hands.. and first down it is.  We need to let our best TE be more of the Receiving ... just like we used Tong G.

9 hours ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

I hope so. That was fun football. I loved the TJ Duckett pick because I was looking forward to having a Falcon bulldozer. 

I wore my TJ Duckett Jersey the other day and had a guy ask me who he was.

We need a dedicated TAFT historian who has time to pull up crap threads showing how time changes thread opinions.

First it was when we hired Dirk, people cited how great his running attack IN JACKSONVILLE was and that it makes a good hire. Superbowl!!

Now we see people come to realize 2019 might not be so clear cut. Dirk is pass happy, WR screen happy, that our team is learning a new offense (only Jake, Matt and Julio were around) and we are possibly starting 2 rooks on the Oline.

3 hours ago, Duff_Man said:

I'm sure this has nothing to do with the fact that in 2013 and 2014 our leading rusher was Steven Jackson and our main backup was Jacquizz Rodgers.

Cool story, bro.  

What was Tampa’s excuse for having nearly identical ratios the last 3 years as Koetter had while in Atlanta?

FalconFanSince1970 likes this