Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cole World

Dimitroff talks Offense Line

25 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Power I said:

I love his logic, but with the resources he put into it that starting five better be **** good. 

I'm starting to really get Dimi's logic. He learned from past mistakes. Competition can't just be competing for depth. It has to be true across the board at starting positions - at least to an extent. I've never been so unsure of who the starting OL will be week 1, and yet so sure we'll have a great OL when that time comes, and possibly phenomenal a year or two out.

I'll say one thing - most people won't complain next year if we sign a DT and DE in FA for "starter money" (ie: Grady full contract, then a big splash DE) and follow it up going DE/DT with our first 2-3 picks. I think people would be thrilled tbh. That's where you win the game - trenches.

OL (and QB) are the trickiest positions, because there's no rotation.  On DL, you can have 9 guys and 4 can be one kind of trait, 4 another and 1 wildcard.

On offense, you have to have 5 who are "good to go" and 2 more who are pretty close.  If you project wrong on a DL and he's not ready, it doesn't cripple your D, you just rotate him in less.  If you project wrong on an OT or OG (and didn't get a legit backup) then that's pretty much your season.

It's worth overpaying for a couple of years (not forever) to get it right.

The whole articLe is a good and I understand there thinking a little more.

Not in this article but something Nagy (the senior bowl pres) said... Next year O-Line class looks lean as ****.... I was looking at next year O-Line class and it did not look goood.

Last year class and this year class will spoil a lot of ppl... I'm glad we took advantage

1 hour ago, atljbo said:

Not in this article but something Nagy (the senior bowl pres) said... Next year O-Line class looks lean as ****.... I was looking at next year O-Line class and it did not look goood.

Last year class and this year class will spoil a lot of ppl... I'm glad we took advantage

Yeah outside of the big 4 (Tre Smith, Trey Adams, Andrew Thomas, and Tyler Biadasz) it’s not much.

8 minutes ago, Cole World said:

Yeah outside of the big 4 (Tre Smith, Trey Adams, Andrew Thomas, and Tyler Biadasz) it’s not much.

Trey Smith may not even be playing football. No clear answer on his blood clot issues.

atljbo and Cole World like this

It's called ... winning now and the window is NOW.

Can't afford to do the old Patriots ways where drafting lower round OL and coach them up. They have not been successful with this approach.

If the DL combo this year doesn’t work we need to take this same approach to that... just get as many quality guys in there and hit a good rotation. I like this thought process from Dimitroff, we finally got quality AND depth across the OL, something we haven’t had in a long time. Hoping we can see Lindstrom/McGary start this year though and them win the camp battles at there positions.

7 hours ago, Cole World said:

I'll admit when the pick was announced I was staring at the screen looking puzzled my wife laughing at me as none of the names I said the pick would be were announced, I immediately came across  the film vs Clemson and was very impressed, I believe he will be a good one. All rookies will take lumps but he looks to be better than most of what we've had the last 2 years  at guard.

10 hours ago, atljbo said:

Lol. True, and even still...this class wasn’t all that great either. We had to move back and get McGary. There were teams hoping he and Lindstrom would be overlooked. Like that thing with Sweat. Somebody lied.

It's a fail-safe approach to fixing the offensive line, and I can't get mad at it. The fact of the matter is that our offense has a much better chance of dominating and finishing games well this season because of the hard-nosed off-season game plan of the Falcons' staff. 

Cole World likes this

13 hours ago, atljbo said:

And with the dependence on RPO and HUNH in the college game, it will likely continue to get even leaner until the tide turns the other way.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the NFL try a developmental league again in the next few years.  It's a shame that the AAFL was so half-baked.

12 hours ago, rudy said:

It's called ... winning now and the window is NOW.

Can't afford to do the old Patriots ways where drafting lower round OL and coach them up. They have not been successful with this approach.

Excepts the Pats don't really do that

2019 - 3rd tackle; 4th guard

2018 - 1st tackle (23rd overall) 

2017 -  3rd tackle

2011 - 17th overall - Tackle

Pats have been taking o linemen high in the draft and they've drafted them in every draft for the last 5 years.

Cole World, MSalmon and Osiruz like this

27 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

2017 -  3rd tackle

Pats have been taking o linemen high in the draft and they've drafted them in every draft for the last 5 years.

Sure tackle to protect the QB blindside has traditionally been the approach...like Bill Parcell. But interior guards are usually not selected high in the draft.

16 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

I'm starting to really get Dimi's logic. He learned from past mistakes. Competition can't just be competing for depth. It has to be true across the board at starting positions - at least to an extent. I've never been so unsure of who the starting OL will be week 1, and yet so sure we'll have a great OL when that time comes, and possibly phenomenal a year or two out.

I'll say one thing - most people won't complain next year if we sign a DT and DE in FA for "starter money" (ie: Grady full contract, then a big splash DE) and follow it up going DE/DT with our first 2-3 picks. I think people would be thrilled tbh. That's where you win the game - trenches.

I agree. Too bad we have to wait till 2020 to "enjoy it". 2019 the Offense line will be better while Dline sufffers. Tough to swallow.

7 hours ago, Knight of God said:

Lol. True, and even still...this class wasn’t all that great either. We had to move back and get McGary. There were teams hoping he and Lindstrom would be overlooked. Like that thing with Sweat. Somebody lied.

yup.. i agree... i like Tytus Howard but when he went top 25 .. i was like .... Wow

Its like when fans thought you can trade back in the first round and get Dexter Lawrence.,.. Dude went top 17 ...... I think the Vikings would have taken Lindstrom at 18 if he was there

Knight of God and kiwifalcon like this

20 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Depth doesn’t mean too much to me when they talk about it.

If you can’t come in and at least show you can push the incumbent why bother bringing in the guy in the first place if as they mention being a depth pick.

The whole idea is you come in whatever your walk of life and do the above mentioned make the starters uncomfortable.Make the coach make tough decisions much like Kazee did last year.Olukoun aswell relegated Riley too the bench.This is what we need up n down the roster a continual push to be better.

3 hours ago, atljbo said:

yup.. i agree... i like Tytus Howard but when he went top 25 .. i was like .... Wow

Its like when fans thought you can trade back in the first round and get Dexter Lawrence.,.. Dude went top 17 ...... I think the Vikings would have taken Lindstrom at 18 if he was there

You can trade back, but good luck with a bunch that would have been undrafted last year 

atljbo likes this

7 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

2017 -  3rd tackle

Ouch lol and good find. I had wondered about this myth of pats and low round picks. Even Cannon dropped because of cancer but he was highly rated. Go back to mankins. They invest heavy in OL