Falcons beat writer: $450M not enough for Saints to fix 'dump' Mercedes-Benz Superdome

birdz4i

A day after details were released about the Mercedes-Benz Superdome's $450 million makeover, a beat writer for the Atlanta Falcons wasted no time sending jab across the NFC South.

Jeff Schultz, who covers the Falcons and other teams for The Athletic, called the Superdome a "dump," though he made sure to let the city know it's nothing personal.

"I love the city, the food and the people," Schultz tweeted. "But there's 2 things I know about New Orleans: 1) The stadium is a dump; 2) $450 million won't fix that."

Schultz didn't say, exactly, what he found 'dumpy' about the Dome or comment further about the renovations on Twitter.

But the cross-conference trash talk is nothing new among the Saints-Falcons rivalry. Before Atlanta hosted Super Bowl 53 earlier this year, mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms generated headlines by saying she was hoping for "anybody other than the Saints" to make the big game, and also subtly jabbing the team for the so-called "bountygate" scandal in 2010. 

The comment drew a harsh response from New Orleans Councilman Jay Banks. 

"At the end of the day they shouldn't be mad at us that they suck," Banks said. The Saints beat the Falcons in both games last season, with Atlanta missing the playoffs. The Saints lost to the Los Angeles Rams in a controversial NFC Championship game. 

The two teams have to wait for their 2019 faceoff, with the first matchup coming in Week 10 in New Orleans, and the second being another Thanksgiving Day matchup in Atlanta's Mercedes-Benz Stadium. 

As far as stadium comparisons reach, the Saints ranked number one for overall game day satisfaction out of all 32 NFL teams for both 2017 and 2018, according to a report from the NFL's Observation Program. New Orleans notched top 10s in seven of the nine categories evaluated for the report.

The renovations in question are the first major updates to the nearly half-century-old building since the post-Hurricane Katrina repairs. The first phase will include the removal of 80,000 square feet of interior ramps and installation of escalators and elevators.

A current parking space will be crafted into a large kitchen and food-service area. The New Orleans Saints will pay for a third of the overall costs.

All four phases of the overhaul are expected to be completed before the Superdome hosts Super Bowl LVIII in 2024.

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/sports/saints/article_b868bdc2-6d06-11e9-8232-a3eea6b6c254.html

31 minutes ago, birdz4i said:
  •  

The renovations in question are the first major updates to the nearly half-century-old building since the post-Hurricane Katrina repairs. The first phase will include the removal of 80,000 square feet of interior ramps and installation of escalators and elevators.

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/sports/saints/article_b868bdc2-6d06-11e9-8232-a3eea6b6c254.html

Why would a 50 year old building not up to modern safety codes be a dump?

Escalators and elevators seem like a pretty basic thing to be but so are not having streets smelling like piss and vomit so who knows?

Renovations and upgrades can only take you so far.

Can you imagine trying to use a 'renovated/upgraded' 50 year old computer?

3 minutes ago, Beef said:

Little do these NO guys know that Jeff Schultz craps on most things Falcons just as much as he craps on any other team.  Dude is a straight up negative nancy hater who thinks his opinion is a gift to anyone who reads it.  He's not DLed level Summer's Eve, but he's not far.

Meh....Schultz is ok.   He's not a total homer but he ain't a total hater either.  He's much better than DLed and the old Terrance what's his name.

3 minutes ago, Jpg428gggg said:

Yeah, they are going to get rid of that sponsorship once the contract is up. I have heard that from multiple sources.

I had heard the same - assumed it was almost over last year.

"Welcome to Wal-Mart's Superdome"

Image result for old walmart store

Image result for superdome katrina

Image result for superdome katrina

36 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

it should be the Wal-Mart Superdome.

Wal-Mart would never be associated with that place even though they're based out of Arkansas.

The Family Dollar SuperDome has a nice ring to it don't you think?

Or the Waffle House SuperDome?

Popeye's Fried Chicken SuperDome.....  I think that's local.

Just now, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Wal-Mart would never be associated with that place even though they're based out of Arkansas.

The Family Dollar SuperDome has a nice ring to it don't you think?

Or the Waffle House SuperDome?

Popeye's Fried Chicken SuperDome.....

no way would Atlanta based Waffle House be associated with that swamp.

Just now, ChickenBiscuit said:

Their stairs that lead up to their nose bleed seats are so steep you could easily misstep if you were drunk enough and fall down the entire stadium to the first row.

**** that stadium. 

It’s so nasty, but so is most of that city.

I was in New Orleans last weekend for jazz fest.......great music and food, but that city’s infrastructure is rotten to the core.