Ollison vs Clemson - Horrible OL, Best DL in the NCAA

Yeah who would have thought the two guys I didn't think we needed would be the guys I'm most excited to see in action.   Ollison and Green are my favorite picks...really good stuff on film.  In that video, Ollison shows a very dynamic skillset... good speed, kinda shocking acceleration, nice power, awareness, good-enough pass protection, patience and nice pursuit on the INT.   He feels like a complete player.

Remember when the Chargers had all 3 backs on the same squad. The superstar in Landian Tomlinson, the scatback in Darren Sporles, and the powerback Michael “the burner” Turner.

Well it’s possible we have our own rendition of that with the superstar Devonta Freeman, the scatback Ito Smith, and the powerback Quadree Ollison.

He has a few good runs against Clemson, I always try to watch teams vs Clemson to see how well they play against a big front. I think two things that stick out about Ollison are his vision and his balance. He seems to stay up after initial contact and he's patient enough to find enough room to hit a hole. I'm really excited about this kid, curious to see how they use him in the pass game as well. He should get a bunch of reps in TC as I'm sure they'll bring Freeman and Ito along slowly after finishing the year on the IR.

I saw some more shake than I think he gets credit for. My big thing I didn't like was his pass pro. He looks to be willing but seemed to want to try to cut most of the guys and whiffed. I think he should try to use he huge frame and try to take guys on. Still like the dude a lot.

If the Panthers had a horrible O-line then the Falcons should have spent a 7th on Darrin Hall too.  That dude averaged 7.5 YPC.  The Panthers fan for over 3000 yards as a team with 29 rushing TDs on the season, I'm not so sure about the horrible O-Line claim.  I like the draft but I am going to wait and see on Ollison. The tape on Brian Hill looked great and the tape on Ito Smith looked great.  The jury is still a bit out on both of those guys too.  We'll see what all these guys can do. 

1 hour ago, JDaveG said:

Pitt went 7-7 in a weak (after Clemson) ACC conference last season.  They ended the season unranked.

I think it's safe to say Ollison will never see the o-line to d-line talent disparity with the Falcons he saw in this game and he still had some very nice runs against good talent across the board.  

Yeah I just don't think you can draw very much from a couple of runs.  Pittsburg's other RB had a better game, as a matter of fact.  Averaged over 6 yards per carry in the game.  He went undrafted.  He is going to get a shot with the Browns though.

29 minutes ago, Peyton said:

Yeah I just don't think you can draw very much from a couple of runs.  Pittsburg's other RB had a better game, as a matter of fact.  Averaged over 6 yards per carry in the game.  He went undrafted.  He is going to get a shot with the Browns though.

Sure, you can't make too much of it.  But you also can't pooh pooh it.  

Pitt had two 1000 yard rushers last season.  Part of that is they are unbalanced in favor of the run though.  They had 529 rushing attempts on the season versus 171 pass attempts.  Beyond that, Ollison did not keep pace with Hall on YPC, but he wasn't far off either (6.3 on the season versus 7.5).  TDs were roughly equal (Hall had 1 more).  But the key stat to me is not yards (Ollison outpaced Hall 1213 to 1144), but attempts.  Ollison got the ball 51 more times than Hall.  In part, that explains the additional yards (which is why I don't find the difference in yardage significant).  But in part it also indicates that Pitt viewed Ollison as their go-to back.

They platooned for sure.  But Ollison got more opportunities.  And since both were Seniors, I think that says something about how Pitt viewed them, and explains why we felt Ollison was worth drafting and no one drafted Hall (he went to Cleveland as a UDFA).

In that Clemson game, they had 47 rushing attempts versus 16 pass attempts.  I'm unsurprised another back had a good day too.

Not sure what some of you were looking at because his pass protection was stellar. 

There’s only ONE play where he tried to cut the wide DE and it wasn’t effective. But even that was moot because an interior DL demolished the OC and was already sacking the Pitt QB.

Besides that one play, dude was outstanding at blocking.

Just now, Beef said:

Not sure what some of you were looking at because his pass protection was stellar. 

There’s only ONE play where he tried to cut the wide DE and it wasn’t effective. But even that was moot because an interior DL demolished the OC and was already sacking the Pitt QB.

Besides that one play, dude was outstanding at blocking.

Agreed. Pass blocking is one of his best traits.

Edited by Bobby.Digital

Looks like a good north/south runner. Pretty good pass protection as well. Kind of reminds me of a slightly shiftier Brandon Jacobs. 

Pitt's fullback though?! I watched two Ollison highlight vids and that kid was great. Sign him if he's available.

Edit: Looks like Denver signed the FB as an UDFA

Edited by Run 'n' Shoot