falconfreek123

Keeping it balanced

9 posts in this topic

Dirk Koetter was the Atlanta Falcons’ offensive coordinator from 2012-14, and was hired to the same position again in 2019 to revitalize the team’s fortunes in the future.

Koetter inherits a Falcons offense that finished No. 6 overall in the NFL, including a top four ranking when passing the ball, but was just fifth worst in the league in terms of rushing.

That’s a disparity the new play caller believes has to be solved.

“I’m going into my 38th year of coaching and I’ve never met a defensive coach who didn’t say the hardest thing to defend is balance,” Koetter said.

“I believe in that, too. When you’re in a first or second down situation and the defense doesn’t know if you’re going to throw it, run it, play action, bootleg it, whatever you want to do, any defensive coach will tell you that’s the hardest thing to defend.

“Since balance is the hardest thing to defend, we will shoot to be as balanced as we can. Now, things like time and score and injuries that can affect that, but we’re going to definitely shoot for that.”

This past season, the Falcons ranked third highest in the NFL after electing to throw the ball on 65 percent of their play calls, an increase from 56 percent the season before.

The NFL average in the 2018 season was 58 percent.

Koetter says his collaboration with new tight ends coach Mike Mularkey will be pivotal.

“Everyone in the NFL runs approximately the same stuff, but how you coach the details of it, that really depends on the coaches that are in that room and the players you have,” he said.

“So, what we’re doing right now is going through the current system, between Mike and myself we’re giving our thoughts and our ideas of what we’re seeing. Just 30 minutes ago I came out of a meeting and we’re in there going through that playbook and the tape line by line and play by play.

“And what you’re really doing is your ironing out what is going to be the Falcons offense moving forward. Because when the players get back, it’s the Falcons offense.”

Koetter says he believes with players like Julio Jones and Calvin Ridley, who combined for 18 receiving touchdowns last season, the Falcons can be an elite offense going forward.

“You can see it on tape, how much talent those guys have,” he said. “[Austin] Hooper has an outstanding year and gets into the Pro Bowl. I saw something that somebody wrote comparing Calvin’s rookie year to some of the greatest receivers in the league right and he was right there. I think Calvin’s got huge upside.”

Tampa Bay passed 63% of the time last year (6th in NFL) and more than any other team on first down. Under Koetter the Falcons were seventh in the NFL in pass play percentage in 2012 (62.80%), first in 2013 (68.65%), and third in 2014 (64.06%).

I hope Koetter does strive for balance but he was anything but in his first stint here and in his stint in Tampa. 

58 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

Tampa Bay passed 63% of the time last year (6th in NFL) and more than any other team on first down. Under Koetter the Falcons were seventh in the NFL in pass play percentage in 2012 (62.80%), first in 2013 (68.65%), and third in 2014 (64.06%).

I hope Koetter does strive for balance but he was anything but in his first stint here and in his stint in Tampa. 

The bolded made me throw up a little bit in my mouth

During Koetters time here we never had good run blocking either, we had Peter Konz playing guard for us in 2012 and he was consistently on skates on pass pro and not able to generate much push in run plays overall the line play was average to just ok in 12....2013 and 14 the oline was BAAAAAAD, kinda hard to be balanced with that. Hopefully with investinf high round draft picks on the line along with the added talent(fa and draft) we can have that balance, I don't think we'll ever be a 50/50 pass/run team but getting passing under 60% would be great.

UnrealfalcoN likes this

22 minutes ago, thajames said:

During Koetters time here we never had good run blocking either, we had Peter Konz playing guard for us in 2012 and he was consistently on skates on pass pro and not able to generate much push in run plays overall the line play was average to just ok in 12....2013 and 14 the oline was BAAAAAAD, kinda hard to be balanced with that. Hopefully with investinf high round draft picks on the line along with the added talent(fa and draft) we can have that balance, I don't think we'll ever be a 50/50 pass/run team but getting passing under 60% would be great.

Yup he has had terrible running talent and run blocking talent in all of those stints. Didn’t koetter coach the jags offense when they were run heavy?

15 hours ago, bossFALCON™ said:

Yup he has had terrible running talent and run blocking talent in all of those stints. Didn’t koetter coach the jags offense when they were run heavy?

I believe so

Whatever they did before, doesn't really matter now. Koetter doesn't have an end of the line Turner or end of the line Steven Jackson. He doesn't have the scrubs that ran in Tampa. He has an all pro, albeit one coming off a serious injury, with Freeman; a promising spark plug in Ito and Qadree a kid who could be rather exciting. They also beefed up the line in a way he never did in Tampa. 

There is no reason not to have faith that this team is gonna run the ball well and often. But if not they have MVP Matt throwing to the best receiver in football and Calvin Ridley about to break out. Also a Pro Bowl TE and Master Sanu. 

So many weapons, why not be excited about the possibilites.

falconfreek123 likes this

On 5/2/2019 at 3:44 AM, bossFALCON™ said:

Hoping for that. But far from expecting it rn. He's a pass first guy until proven otherwise. The OL additions help. If he can incorporate ground and pound effectively this team will be real hard to stop.