jlrfalcon

Poll - What is the Falcons Biggest Weakness Now After the Draft?

What is the Falcons Biggest Weakness Now After the Draft?   90 members have voted

1. 1. What is the Falcons Biggest Weakness Now After the Draft?

• QB
    • FB/RB
    • OL
    • WR
    • TE
    • K/P/ST
    • DE/DL
    • LB
    • CB
    • S
    • HC/OC/DC
  2. 2. Did the Draft Change Your Answer to This?

• Yes
    • No

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

35 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

The draft has now passed, we have signed multiple UDFA's, and even cut a player or two.  So, what area (field level) do you now consider the biggest area of weakness/concern on the Falcons after the draft?

Is the answer you give now the same as it would have been 2 weeks ago or maybe after the last week of the season?

Personally, I was highly concerned about the OL at the end of the year but had become more fearful going into the draft of the CB levels following all of our cuts/FA's signing elsewhere.  I still have a lot of uncertainty about both of these, but I now see our RB level as being our possible biggest weakness as we have an injury-prone veteran coming back with a lot of youngsters around him.  I wonder if this grouping could handle 20-25 carries a game in what is expected to be a much more running offense.

Edited by jlrfalcon

DT

Specifically we do not have a big guy 330lbs plus that can take on double teams, collapse the pocket, stuff the run and open lanes for our pass rushers.

We need a big guy in the middle to wear down the opposing OL

If Vic and Takk were to suddenly explode with production, then I wouldn’t say DE. Though, right now I’d say DE. I’m expecting a DE/DT infusion of talent next free agency and draft, because we don’t know Vic’s future and we have a lot of 1 year contracts at those positions.

However, I voted LB to be different. Not a fan of our inside backer depth.

1 minute ago, CTann said:

If Vic and Takk were to suddenly explode with production, then I wouldn’t say DE. Though, right now I’d say DE. I’m expecting a DE/DT infusion of talent next free agency and draft, because we don’t know Vic’s future and we have a lot of 1 year contracts at those positions.

Our pass rushers will never succeed here until we get some legit size at DT.

Chitown2ATL_Falcon likes this

Posted (edited)

Pass rush. My answer has not changed.

Weakness is in terms of results but we did add AC back to the weak DE rotation we had. If the run D improves, it'll give the unit better pass rush situations.

If you have a clean shot at a 1yr vet contract around TC or after the June cuts maybe take a guy for the DE rotation. Only a couple DTs I'd like to bring in that might do something. We're probably more in need at DE; given AC's injury history and Mean's unknown as a pass rush option.

Edited by Ergo Proxy
egoprime II likes this

Worried most about LB depth.  I don’t want Duke to see significant time again this year.

It's the RB but mainly the FB position mostly. We need to add one more LB maybe. But mainly fullback. RB we have a stable so I know the best  combination will be chosen. Dline is stacked I think just cause we didn't add a splash name in the draft folks is butthurt. Get over it we just got ridiculously bigger stronger meaner and nastier in mere months  literally. Run defense stout, Run offense stout , Passing offense Spectacular and Passing defense Venomous. With a new and improved Special teams.  Watch Out

I think an edge guy is still our biggest need. Haven't really replaced Brooks Reed yet.

I didn't think we had any huge holes going in to the draft, outside of depth.

Posted (edited)

13 hours ago, jlrfalcon said:

The draft has now passed, we have signed multiple UDFA's, and even cut a player or two.  So, what area (field level) do you now consider the biggest area of weakness/concern on the Falcons after the draft?

Is the answer you give now the same as it would have been 2 weeks ago or maybe after the last week of the season?

Personally, I was highly concerned about the OL at the end of the year but had become more fearful going into the draft of the CB levels following all of our cuts/FA's signing elsewhere.  I still have a lot of uncertainty about both of these, but I now see our RB level as being our possible biggest weakness as we have an injury-prone veteran coming back with a lot of youngsters around him.  I wonder if this grouping could handle 20-25 carries a game in what is expected to be a much more running offense.

Good thread, but DE and DT should be separate, ok.  

Edited by egoprime II
FalconJim likes this

13 hours ago, MAD597 said:

DT

Specifically we do not have a big guy 330lbs plus that can take on double teams, collapse the pocket, stuff the run and open lanes for our pass rushers.

We need a big guy in the middle to wear down the opposing OL

Really wanted Lawrence in the first......

Later I was really pounding the table for Daylon Mack.

I think TD and DQ are not done with the D line just yet.

rugger8 likes this

13 hours ago, quotemokc said:

DE but not DT

13 hours ago, CTann said:

13 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Pass rush. My answer has not changed.

Weakness is in terms of results but we did add AC back to the weak DE rotation we had. If the run D improves, it'll give the unit better pass rush situations.

If you have a clean shot at a 1yr vet contract around TC or after the June cuts maybe take a guy for the DE rotation. Only a couple DTs I'd like to bring in that might do something. We're probably more in need at DE; given AC's injury history and Mean's unknown as a pass rush option.

When Smitty was here, one reason we were won so many games was our run game.  We did not have as much talent on defense as we do right now, except for the secondary.  And we do have some players in our secondary right now.

As our run game improves, our short yardage conversion rate will get better, extending drives and improving our TOP.  Our already- great passing attack will improve with better play action, meaning we will score more points.

More points plus superior TOP means more later-in-the-game pass rush opportunities because the other teams can't run the ball as much....and our defense will be fresher and able get after the QB without having to worry about the run.

More and better pass rush means more INTs.  And since we already have an offense that rarely turns the ball over, any TO's produced by our defense will be devastating to opposing teams.

We can win a -lot- of games playing this style of football....

Schwarzwald and CTann like this

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, egoprime II said:

When Smitty was here, one reason we were won so many games was our run game.  We did not have as much talent on defense as we do right now, except for the secondary.  And we do have some players in our secondary right now.

As our run game improves, our short yardage conversion rate will get better, extending drives and improving our TOP.  Our already- great passing attack will improve with better play action, meaning we will score more points.

More points plus superior TOP means more later-in-the-game pass rush opportunities because the other teams can't run the ball as much....and our defense will be fresher and able get after the QB without having to worry about the run.

More and better pass rush means more INTs.  And since we already have an offense that rarely turns the ball over, any TO's produced by our defense will be devastating to opposing teams.

We can win a -lot- of games playing this style of football....

Yep yep. The revamped OL will not only make our offense better, but our defense as well, like you mentioned. TOP, sustaining drives, converting downs, avoiding punts etc.

I believe the Saints OL was the best last season, and still in the Top 4 two seasons ago. On the contrary, I feel that their defense wasn’t anything special. Yet, their defense was very solid because of their ability to stop the run as well as the juggernaut of an OL and overall quality of the offense as a whole. 

Falcons FO definitely utilizing this style of approach. We acquired guys on the D-Line who can stop the run, and we invested heavily into the OL. Smashmouth grind it out element that we’ve missed. 

Edited by CTann
egoprime II likes this

17 minutes ago, CTann said:

Yep yep. The revamped OL will not only make our offense better, but our defense as well, like you mentioned. TOP, sustaining drives, converting downs, avoiding punts etc.

I believe the Saints OL was the best last season, and still in the Top 4 two seasons ago. On the contrary, I feel that their defense wasn’t anything special. Yet, their defense was very solid because of they’re ability to stop the run as well as the offense’s juggernaut of an OL and overall quality of the offense as a whole. 

Falcons FO definitely utilizing this style of approach. We acquired guys on the D-Line who can stop the run, and we invested heavily into the OL. Smashmouth grind it out element that we’ve missed. 

Interesting you mentioned the Saints' run D, we just obtained one of their top run stoppers from las season in Tyeler Davison.

And didn't the Saints just lose RB Mark Ingram?

CTann likes this

7 hours ago, Smiler11 said:

I think an edge guy is still our biggest need. Haven't really replaced Brooks Reed yet.

I didn't think we had any huge holes going in to the draft, outside of depth.

Clay

I went with coaching staff.  I think Quinn is capable of consistently winning at a high level, but I do question his sense of urgency.  He seemed to get complacent in 2017 and 2018.

We will see early on by how he approaches this year's preseason. 

Difficult to choose one area, but I went with CB.  Trufant is horrible. Kazee was a ball hawk at Safety, but who knows how he does at Nickel.  Oliver has great potential, but we will have to wait and see.  The 2 rookies from this draft has potential, but who knows what they will contribute either.

19 minutes ago, egoprime II said:

Interesting you mentioned the Saints' run D, we just obtained one of their top run stoppers from las season in Tyeler Davison.

And didn't the Saints just lose RB Mark Ingram?

Goodness, I had to go back and fix some spelling errors I made. Had my their’s and they’res mixed up there. 

Yep! Big fan of Davison as a guy who makes it harder to run against. Being the NT of the league’s #2 run defense should say something. I give credit where it’s due, and their linebacker Demario Davis, previously of the Jets, is one helluva defender against the run as well. Hageman is another guy I’m referring to as well with our additions. 

Mark Ingram to the Ravens but the Aints picked up Latavius Murray. At best, just a lateral move if even that. Not really an upgrade for them. 

egoprime II likes this