A deeper dive John Cominsky

Pulling for him as long as he is a Falcon. Just think if he continuous to improve and grow as an NFL player like he did college we could see a very good DE emerge before our eyes. Just think he did that mostly on his own in college. Who knows what is going to happen with the resources he has to help and guide him now. 

Dude is really raw, but man, some of his highlights are really impressive. Senior Bowl was rough on him. DQ definitely going to have to work on some pass rush moves with him though, sounds like a long-term plan .... I do like his game though, looks to win with power, something we haven't seen around these parts for awhile.

Didn't like this guy as well as some at his position, but still wanted him when we got him.

Huge project, but hopefully he can learn 2 or 3 moves to change his game.  He obviously has the base athleticism, just needs a lot of technique work (hands and feet).  He seems like the type who is more than willing to learn.

I've learned, over time, I wouldn't bet against people who have athleticism and want to, and will dedicate the time and energy to their craft.

Just like on a regular job.  Give me the guy who is smart AND will take full ownership and do what it takes over the guy with knowledge.  Just the talent isn't enough, but the talent combined with the intense drive is gold.

1 hour ago, Adam25 said:

Dude is really raw, but man, some of his highlights are really impressive. Senior Bowl was rough on him. DQ definitely going to have to work on some pass rush moves with him though, sounds like a long-term plan .... I do like his game though, looks to win with power, something we haven't seen around these parts for awhile.

Senior Bowl wasn't rough on him, it's why he was drafted bro.  Once he moved to nose, he was getting so much push in the backfield, they had to double him.  Batted a pass down and got multiple pressures.  Reason why he got a combine invite and why we drafted him.  Physically, dude is a freak...

Side note; when he went against McGary, he stonewalled him... Its obvious a lot of our scouting went into the Senior bowl. Lingstrom, McGary and Cominsky all played at a high level.

Edited by gHost83

2 hours ago, Smiler11 said:

He has so much room to grow (both literally and figuratively) and seems to have the desire to be great. He's raw but could end up being a steal. Reminds me of JJ Watt as a prospect - I'm not saying he'll be JJ Watt but he's got a similar frame, relentless motor and desire to get better. 

He will definitely have a better nutrition plan now that he got a little bit of money. Pulling for the kid.

1 hour ago, gHost83 said:

Senior Bowl wasn't rough on him, it's why he was drafted bro.  Once he moved to nose, he was getting so much push in the backfield, they had to double him.  Batted a pass down and got multiple pressures.  Reason why he got a combine invite and why we drafted him.  Physically, dude is a freak...

Side note; when he went against McGary, he stonewalled him... Its obvious a lot of our scouting went into the Senior bowl. Lingstrom, McGary and Cominsky all played at a high level.

I watched his tape at the senior bowl, and I know he’s got tons of room to grow. I think his physical traits got him drafted rather than what he did at the senior bowl. He was average, the batting of the pass down was good, other than that he was pretty non existent. I like him, and I think he has the traits to be a physical beast for us, but if he’s trying to win the same way he was at the senior bowl he’s gonna learn the hard way that it won’t work. DQ should help

Here's the thing:

Everyone sees someone like this in a poor competitive environment.

Fans and hot-takers say but what about their competition level? Why wasn't he more outstanding?

A good interview and review of a player's skillset and whether or not they can be coached and BENEFIT from playing vs Pros/others to get their game to a level is what an eye for talent is about; coupled with skillset and a vision for that player...that's the part no one here can know with this kid but that's what mid-rounds are about.

If DQ thinks he can mold a beast, let's go. He has more time for it now taking over as DC after all.

https://relativeathleticscores.com/2017/01/17/de-relative-athletic-scores-ras-table/

His RAS is pretty good. Basically Nick Bosa from same draft. :shrug:

2019 DE Nick Bosa Ohio State 9.43 9.4
2010 DE Everson Griffen Southern California 9.43 9.4
2019 DE John Cominsky Charleston 9.42 9.4
2012 DE Nick Perry Southern California 9.41 9.4
2005 DE Justin Tuck Notre Dame 9.4 9.6

Rookie pass rushers (inside or out) struggle year 1. Hes from D2 and has limited moves. Hes going to be a big project. Doubt he does much of anything in year 1. He does have a non stop motor and freakish athleticism though which you can’t teach.

Edited by PriMeTiiMe

1 hour ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Rookie pass rushers (inside or out) struggle year 1. Hes from D2 and has limited moves. Hes going to be a big project. Doubt he does much of anything in year 1. He does have a non stop motor and freakish athleticism though which you can’t teach.

And that's fine given we got several 1 year contracts on the DL right now. If he allows us let Crawford walk next offseason, that's a win at minimum.

GJ is the MIT going forward, VB breakout or not pretty close 2nd, but also AC/Davison/Crawford/Means/Hageman(?) are on 1 year deals, too.

Takk/Senat/Cominsky/2020 draft and probably GJ...this DL is gonna take a couple years. Hinges on GJ long-term and VB's 2019 year and subsequent decision.

So, we can afford to stash Cominsky and let him earn snaps/active status year 1 while being a full-time groom for DQ. He'll know what he can expect from Cominsky in 2020 worst case, and the other decisions on GJ and VB, plus the progression of Senat or the year by Davison will effect greatly our needs next draft. But for 2019? It can be a good unit. Might be worth a flyer on another rusher for a playoff run. We hurt when AC went down for the SB run.

Man...that hurt. 1 more sack that game. 1 more run of the ball. 1 FG kick. Glad to have AC back.

Edited by Ergo Proxy

He’s definitely a project but will be a special teams maven from the beginning. DQ said that he would play teams during the post draft presser. Can you imagine 285 lbs running at you with 4.56 speed on kick or punt return? With his attitude??? Maybe a couple of defensive snaps per game on obvious run downs and go from there.