Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
egoprime II

Trade Vic Beasley

82 posts in this topic

Between DQ running the defense and the fact that this is Beasley's last chance for that monster contract, I think Vic will show out this year. Lets say he duplicates 2016 with 15 sacks.

If he does that, Falcons can tag him, probably with the  non exclusive tag, so other teams can talk to him, and the falcons can get a good  pick for him. [not a first] Don't see the Falcons signing him to a long term deal. 

If no team bites, they can play him on the tag in 2020 and see if he can do that 2 years in a row.

If he has another 6 sack year, then you just cut your losses, let him go, draft his replacement next year.

kiwifalcon and Ergo Proxy like this

Shocked anyone still wants to trade VB given our lack of edge depth. Even when he's bad, he's arguably the second best pass rusher on our roster right now. Too late to make that kind of move.

Best case scenario: he balls out, ~10-12 sacks, we let him walk for a comp pick or tag and trade him, maybe even re-sign if Quinn is confident

Worst case non-injury scenario: he has another ~5 sack season. Still gets wildly overpaid due to the insanity of FA and we get a 3rd or 4th comp

Just think if he walks and goes to another team we still get a comp pick so it's not like we won't get anything for him.

Keep him...he should get 10-12 sacks this year.  Then let him walk..or if he balls out this year and is better vs the run, TAG him next year and make him prove it again before considering an extension

falconidae and Ergo Proxy like this

42 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

Stopped reading at " Beasley registers double digit sacks "... :lol:

It actually would not surprise me at all

Be lucky to get a 5th rounder even before the option, dudes just not good and has managed to add nothing to his speed rush other than a terrible spin move

Atl Falcon likes this

4 hours ago, Flying Falcon said:

Shoulda traded him when those teams wanted him. Before we picked up that expensive option.

We picked up the option after the 2017 season, so that wasn't happening. Agree they should have traded him at the deadline though. Now, at this point, he's a Falcon for 2019. Pirritt. 

2 hours ago, falconidae said:

Between DQ running the defense and the fact that this is Beasley's last chance for that monster contract, I think Vic will show out this year. Lets say he duplicates 2016 with 15 sacks.

If he does that, Falcons can tag him, probably with the  non exclusive tag, so other teams can talk to him, and the falcons can get a good  pick for him. [not a first] Don't see the Falcons signing him to a long term deal. 

If no team bites, they can play him on the tag in 2020 and see if he can do that 2 years in a row.

If he has another 6 sack year, then you just cut your losses, let him go, draft his replacement next year.

Exactly what we should do and I’m a Vic fan.  I was really surprised he didn’t play better last season but felt like he came on at the end.  I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again, outside of Matt Ryan I’ve never wanted to see a player succeed more.  

10 minutes ago, CraigSmackDaddy said:

Exactly what we should do and I’m a Vic fan.  I was really surprised he didn’t play better last season but felt like he came on at the end.  I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again, outside of Matt Ryan I’ve never wanted to see a player succeed more.  

Dan Quinn feels your pain with Vic.

1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

It actually would not surprise me at all

It would be somewhat surprising to me considering his last two years combined he got double digits.

Hope I'm wrong though...but I have said it before and I will say it again re: Vic.  Show me.  I'm done with the "He should" narratives or "He could".  Enough with the promise and potential and start with the actual results.

6 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Watch Beasley get 10+ sacks this year and we franchise him.:lol:

This board would explode.

I'm sure that's what they would do. They'd either use the non exclusive tag or the transition tag. That would allow other teams to talk to him and work out  a deal. 

Doubt seriously they'd sign him to a long term deal even if they end up keeping him. They'd let him play on the tag and prove he could do it back to back years.

3 hours ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

To me, there is no way around the fact that we didn't play our hand to the best of our ability. We might be a very good team in 2020, but it doesn't negate the fact we didn't capitalize on multiple opportunities to be better. 

Mistake 1 - Trade Vic and pick up an extra 3rd. Could have been used in a trade up for a blue chip player like Ed Oliver or Josh Allen.

Mistake 2 - Signing both Brown and Carpenter to above market contracts. They are decent at best and we could have waited until after the draft to sign these guys like smart teams. 

Mistake 3 - Not going hard enough for the player we wanted. The time to jump up was when Bush or Wilkins was on the board and teams were calling about the #10 and #12 picks. If we had traded Vic, we'd have not even felt the impact of the move up. Package the extra Vic pick and one of our 4th rounders with our 1st and its done. When we've moved up for players it's turned out well. 

Mistake 4 - I don't care what anyone one says, the way we used our 1-3 picks was not smart. If we were dead set on the two guys we drafted we wouldn't have been inquiring about trade ups. We went with a backup plan and panicked based off rumors from "sources".

Other questionable decisions:

- Not addressing the D-Line more. I like Davison and think Senat will improve and have a better year if given more time. But we could have made a dominant line with this draft and FA. We paid 20 mil to what will now likely be O-Line depth and drafted starters. We could have given 14 mil to Suh and put him next to Grady. That'd be a dynamic D-Line. Coupled with trading Vic and drafting Montez Sweat or other rushers we would be stacked for this season without severely inhibiting our moves elsewhere. We could still have signed either Brown or Carpenter and picked up O-Line talent. Also we didn't address the WLB which was a huge weakness for us. The return of our Pro-Bowl MLB will help, but he needs to have a partner in crime beside him to cover the areas he can't. We were eaten alive on dump downs. 

I know it's not going to be a popular opinion. Folks will call me whatever they like. But this is the way I see it. 

TD and company re not done yet...

There will be one more move on the front seven....mark it down...it will either be a trade or signing...they must wait until the June 1 money kicks in before doing and also get the Grady, Julio, and Debo extensions out of the way...

Trading Vic for a 3rd would only have created an additional need on the team...

We needed the OL depth...it was evident last year we lacked in both quality starters and depth...TD and DQ were given a clear directive from Arthur Blank to fix that problem...

While we probably came out of draft with our Plan B option....the discussion after the draft was the trade up with DEN (3 spots) was too rich for us to do....

Having VB44 this year will be a great year and then we will get a comp pick in 2021...

This team will go as far as Matt Ryan goes...our owner and staff have watched as teams like IND, NO, KC, and others have invested in the OL to help their QB play better...

There are no more excuses for the offense to bot be a Top 5 offense...I fully expect us back to 2016 form...

As for the defense...the Falcons expect the return form injury for several palyers to immediately put us back in the 12-18 range on the defensive side of the ball...we still added a TOP interior DT run defender (which we didnt have last year) along with a young, promising DE/DT prospect and a veteran DE in Clayborn....we also got more physical at the boundary CB posittion and added more depth in the secondary and at LB...

This is by far the best Falcons team that will step on the field....name one team better from a talent perspective....VB44 and Takk are both 1st rounders...Grady is a near All-Pro and Davison and Senat are unsung run stuffers... Debo is an All-Pro with Foye and Campbell giving athleticsm....Kazee led the league in INTs, and Trufant is a former Pro Bowler and Neal is a Pro Bowler with Allen being a solid vet presence in the backend...

I fully expect us to either make a paly for Gerald McCoy (trade a 2020 3rd rounder?) or sign of of the remaining DE guys, of which there are many that will give us additional value in the pass rush...

Lastly, be honest with yourself though...who would you have wanted instead of Vic for 2019 season? and at what price? Everyone is more expensive....Probably the only guy is Justin Houston....were we ever in play for Bosa or Allen? NO....so then are Sweat and Burns better than VB44? the answer is no....

We have the best pass rusher on the team that we couldve possbily gotten this past year outside of maybe HOuston...the others were way too expensive....

There is a reason you and I and others are on the MBs and not in the FO...

1 minute ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

so then are Sweat and Burns better than VB44? the answer is no....

Vic Beasley was one of the worst pass rushers in the entire league last year. Even if either of those dudes only got 4-5 sacks as a rookie that is no different than what Beasley will provide. Long term wise, Both will be better than Beasley.

Atl Falcon likes this

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, ramonezy said:

Looking at this all wrong. 

If Beasley shows out and has double digit sacks, we look to extend him. If we can't afford to, we let him walk for a high compensatory pick (the Patriot way). 

The problem with option #1 is that Blank & Quinn will want to make Beasley a "Falcon for Life" and will agree to a contract (Mack money and mostly guaranteed) that will cripple the team.  The same will likely occur with Grady.

I'd prefer a couple of UDFA DLs make All-Pro instead.

Edited by JeffAtl

4 minutes ago, JeffAtl said:

The problem with option #1 is that Blank & Quinn will want to make Beasley a "Falcon for Life" and will agree to a contract (Mack money and mostly guaranteed) that will cripple the team.  The same will likely occur with Grady.

I'd prefer a couple of UDFA DLs make All-Pro instead.

Vic hits none of the "Falcon for Life" checkboxes though...

JeffAtl likes this

Posted (edited)

32 minutes ago, athell said:

Vic hits none of the "Falcon for Life" checkboxes though...

I thought Vic was very well liked personally by Blank and Quinn.  I may be mistaken though and hope I'm wrong!  :D

Edited by JeffAtl
athell likes this

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, TRUju2111 said:

Be lucky to get a 5th rounder even before the option, dudes just not good and has managed to add nothing to his speed rush other than a terrible spin move

The rumor was we declined a 3rd round pick for him at the trade deadline.

Edited by PriMeTiiMe

6 hours ago, egoprime II said:

Maybe they tried.  Who knows?

they did, with picks not Beasley though. There's a thread here explaining how we weren't even 2nd in the bidding for the 10th pick. The Steelers hella overpaid as it is. 

9 minutes ago, JeffAtl said:

I thought Vic was very well liked personally by Blank and Quinn.  I may be mistaken though and hope I'm wrong!  :D

I don't think so.  The guys they speak of as Falcons for life...

Grady - Tuggle connection.  Consistently great player.  Production.

Julio - What needs to be said?  It's obvious.

Vic isn't close to either of them.

Roddy was a Falcon for life for obvious reasons.  Matt will be a Falcon for life for obvious reasons.  Vic's just another dude.  Another mediocre Atlanta Falcon pass rusher.  Man I hope I am wrong and he balls this season...but so far that's where he is.

Ergo Proxy and JeffAtl like this

12 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

The rumor was we declined a 3rd round pick for him at the trade deadline.

Thats not a rumor, its a lie made up by someone, and repeating it makes you look bad

If he wants to get paid next offseason he will be great this year. Keep him this year. Let him walk next season.