Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
egoprime II

Trade Vic Beasley

82 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Scenario ONE:  Beasley has a great season rushing QB's, registers double-digit sacks.
Scenario TWO:  Beasley does badly.  Falcons don't offer Beasley a new contrast.... he walks in 2020.
Scenario THREE:  Beasley gets hurt which either:  ends his season early, or reduces his effectiveness.  Lots of scenarios could arise from this one, most of them not good.

Beasley is on a one-year contract.  No matter how well he does or does not do, the Falcons will be faced with signing (or not signing) Beasley in an offseason where the following players' contracts expire:  Deion Jones, Grady Jarrett, Austin Hooper, DaVondre Cambell, Tyeler Davison, Wes Scweitzer.  Plus, Keanu Neal will be in -his- option contract giving him a subdtantial raise.   Even without re-signing Beasley, we could see more than one significant player walk .  So even if Beasley has a great season, he could very well walk next offseason.  Which is why I believe its time to trade him.

In a trade scenario Beasley's salary is a problem which could be solved by the Falcons 'eating' a goodchunk of his 13 million salary.  Lets say the Falcons take on half that... there are ways to do it.  Then the Falcons offer Beasley up for a 3rd round pick, which is the same as a comp pick for a premium FA.... only the Falcons would get the pick next draft instead of waiting for 2021.

Or the Falcons could trade for another teams' player.  Someone like LB Darron Lee, or Solomon Thomas (just examples, folks...).   Then TD could use any cap-savings on signing a FA DE like Ansah or Morgan. 

At any rate I can see Beasley and/or some good players walking after this season.  We might as well get some value out of  him.  With the right trade the team might actually be better this season..
Edited by egoprime II

15 minutes ago, Flying Falcon said:

Shoulda traded him when those teams wanted him. Before we picked up that expensive option.

In hind-site, probably so. Then drafted Montez Sweat. 

This would have been a much more interesting falcons draft if they had come into it with (2) 3rd rounders together with (2) 4ths and (2) 5ths. 

Looking at this all wrong. 

If Beasley shows out and has double digit sacks, we look to extend him. If we can't afford to, we let him walk for a high compensatory pick (the Patriot way). 

If he doesn't show up, we clear $12m off our cap immediately that can be used for DJ, Neal, etc. 

The strength of next year's draft is Edge rushers, so we can get a good replacement there. 

If DQ thinks there's something there, keeping him only raises his value to the team

16 minutes ago, Flying Falcon said:

Shoulda traded him when those teams wanted him. Before we picked up that expensive option.

Depends entirely on what they were offering.

NeonDeion likes this

1 hour ago, EJmusic said:

But if his value is low who are you going to get for him?

Well as an example.... other teams have former highly regarded players whose performance has been  subpar, that -they- are trying to move.  Sometimes a change of scenery can do wonders for a player.   One example?  John Abraham.  Problem child in NYJ... team leader and top performer, here.

Coaching changes create more players that teams are willing to let go of.   The Cardinals with Josh Allen is a -classic- example.

At any rate, it sure looks, to me, like this is Beasley's last season.   More than likely anyway.

Flying Falcon likes this

22 minutes ago, ramonezy said:

Looking at this all wrong. 

If Beasley shows out and has double digit sacks, we look to extend him. If we can't afford to, we let him walk for a high compensatory pick (the Patriot way). 

If he doesn't show up, we clear $12m off our cap immediately that can be used for DJ, Neal, etc. 

The strength of next year's draft is Edge rushers, so we can get a good replacement there. 

If DQ thinks there's something there, keeping him only raises his value to the team

Way I see it....the Falcons are taking a big gamble with Beasley.  The guy has shown -nothing- since 2016.   In the Super Bowl..... it was like Beasley wasn't even there.

What I am saying is....get Beasley out now, while he might have -some- value.  Heck even make the compensation a conditional draft pick.  Free up some money, then get a player with some 'dog' in him, like Ansah or Morgan.

27 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Coming from someone who has no faith in him and thinks he's a complete waste of a big body, might as well get over it. He aint going anywhere unless a 3-4 team sees great value and makes an offer Quinn won't refuse.

I don't like it, but you are more than likely right.

ya_boi_j likes this

12 minutes ago, Flying Falcon said:

They offered a 3rd 

I read a rumor like that.... who offered a 3rd?

Ansah has essentially been Vic Beasley his entire career. Dude has been very inconsistent 

I like the Beastley standout season and the last 6 weeks Beastley of last season. DQ is the DC now and I believe he will get the most out of him and we will see the aforementioned player I stated earlier.

He will get Dan Quinn an extension or get him FIRED!

Its all on Dan Quinn.

I was appalled to see him not let go and Grady getting tagged.

Beasley is a loser. He quit on this team ...why would he come back to elite form ?

Flying Falcon likes this

13 minutes ago, egoprime II said:

Way I see it....the Falcons are taking a big gamble with Beasley.  The guy has shown -nothing- since 2016.   In the Super Bowl..... it was like Beasley wasn't even there.

What I am saying is....get Beasley out now, while he might have -some- value.  Heck even make the compensation a conditional draft pick.  Free up some money, then get a player with some 'dog' in him, like Ansah or Morgan.

They should have done that right before draft and move up in TOP 10

2 hours ago, egoprime II said:

Scenario ONE:  Beasley has a great season rushing QB's, registers double-digit sacks.
Scenario TWO:  Beasley does badly.  Falcons don't offer Beasley a new contrast.... he walks in 2020.
Scenario THREE:  Beasley gets hurt which either:  ends his season early, or reduces his effectiveness.  Lots of scenarios could arise from this one, most of them not good.

Beasley is on a one-year contract.  No matter how well he does or does not do, the Falcons will be faced with signing (or not signing) Beasley in an offseason where the following players' contracts expire:  Deion Jones, Grady Jarrett, Austin Hooper, DaVondre Cambell, Tyeler Davison, Wes Scweitzer.  Plus, Keanu Neal will be in -his- option contract giving him a subdtantial raise.   Even without re-signing Beasley, we could see more than one significant player walk .  So even if Beasley has a great season, he could very well walk next offseason.  Which is why I believe its time to trade him.

In a trade scenario Beasley's salary is a problem which could be solved by the Falcons 'eating' a goodchunk of his 13 million salary.  Lets say the Falcons take on half that... there are ways to do it.  Then the Falcons offer Beasley up for a 3rd round pick, which is the same as a comp pick for a premium FA.... only the Falcons would get the pick next draft instead of waiting for 2021.

Or the Falcons could trade for another teams' player.  Someone like LB Darron Lee, or Solomon Thomas (just examples, folks...).   Then TD could use any cap-savings on signing a FA DE like Ansah or Morgan. 

At any rate I can see Beasley and/or some good players walking after this season.  We might as well get some value out of  him.  With the right trade the team might actually be better this season..

I agree and wish we could trade him but that ship has sailed

Vandy likes this

2 minutes ago, mattyicefalcon said:

They should have done that right before draft and move up in TOP 10

Maybe they tried.  Who knows?

Vic is gonna show out this year!! wanna know why? ITS HIS CONTRACT YEAR!!!:munch:     he just saw what top DE's were paid..    if he has a great season then he will demand top money this off season..       crappy season then he gets nickels, the problem is that its fools gold, he will be the next big contract only to be a waste of cap and cut a few years because his contract won't match his performance on the field...      with that said, our FO will be the dumb ones to sign him to some BIG $$ :rant: 

48 minutes ago, egoprime II said:

I don't like it, but you are more than likely right.

I mean none of us have to like anything the team does but what are we gonna do about it. Just gotta learn to accept what we can't control

To me, there is no way around the fact that we didn't play our hand to the best of our ability. We might be a very good team in 2020, but it doesn't negate the fact we didn't capitalize on multiple opportunities to be better. 

Mistake 1 - Trade Vic and pick up an extra 3rd. Could have been used in a trade up for a blue chip player like Ed Oliver or Josh Allen.

Mistake 2 - Signing both Brown and Carpenter to above market contracts. They are decent at best and we could have waited until after the draft to sign these guys like smart teams. 

Mistake 3 - Not going hard enough for the player we wanted. The time to jump up was when Bush or Wilkins was on the board and teams were calling about the #10 and #12 picks. If we had traded Vic, we'd have not even felt the impact of the move up. Package the extra Vic pick and one of our 4th rounders with our 1st and its done. When we've moved up for players it's turned out well. 

Mistake 4 - I don't care what anyone one says, the way we used our 1-3 picks was not smart. If we were dead set on the two guys we drafted we wouldn't have been inquiring about trade ups. We went with a backup plan and panicked based off rumors from "sources".

Other questionable decisions:

- Not addressing the D-Line more. I like Davison and think Senat will improve and have a better year if given more time. But we could have made a dominant line with this draft and FA. We paid 20 mil to what will now likely be O-Line depth and drafted starters. We could have given 14 mil to Suh and put him next to Grady. That'd be a dynamic D-Line. Coupled with trading Vic and drafting Montez Sweat or other rushers we would be stacked for this season without severely inhibiting our moves elsewhere. We could still have signed either Brown or Carpenter and picked up O-Line talent. Also we didn't address the WLB which was a huge weakness for us. The return of our Pro-Bowl MLB will help, but he needs to have a partner in crime beside him to cover the areas he can't. We were eaten alive on dump downs. 

I know it's not going to be a popular opinion. Folks will call me whatever they like. But this is the way I see it. 

egoprime II likes this

I'm not expecting much from Beasley anymore, but maybe Quinn can put together a stout scheme, knowing his offense should be in good hands.