Now that we've argued the draft to death, here's my question...

I think it'll be just OK, not great, not bad just OK. The only reason to be optimistic is getting everyone back healthy (At least right now) and our coverage being better on the back end which will allow for "half a second late Vic Beasley" to maybe generate some real pressure and the same goes for Takk. It's also depending on if Isiah Oliver plays to the ability I think he can, if he ends up being a downgrade to Robert Alford then our defense as a whole is in trouble. I think DQ coaching helps big time since they defense played really good under him in 16'. Lot's of moving pieces on this topic, I'm anxious to see them get after it though.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If Tak is sane, i have 100% confidence. 

How comfortable are you right now with Atlanta's ability to generate a pass rush in 2019? To those of you who are uncomfortable, what moves would make you feel better about the situation? To

Next draft maybe they’ll double dip into the D-line like they did with the o-line this year...

I don't have much faith in the pass rush at all, we just don't have much talent in that regard. Quinn can only 'coach up' guys so much, if they can't do the job, then they can't do the job. It's not like before Quinn running the D they were telling Takk and Measley to not rush the QB. I think DQ running the D might help over all performance, but I don't see how that's going to be a catalyst for us suddenly having an effective pass rush. I think we will have sporadic success from the DT position, but I don't expect much from our DE's.

At this point, not much we can do about it. I don't see us making any major signings. Theoretically, TD could come up with a trade that addresses it, but my hunch is DQ and TD have had discussions saying they have enough to work with as far as that goes, or at least a strategy in place to where a middling or mediocre pass rush will still work by mitigating it somehow with scheme, play calling, player development, etc.

There is the possibility that Takk turns a corner this year in terms of consistency, but other than that I think at this point we've got what we've got.

How comfortable are you right now with Atlanta's ability to generate a pass rush in 2019?  Not very comfortable.  Doing the same things and expecting different results is the definition of insanity.  And, our defensive backfield has questions, too.  I hope that Quinn helps, but if he really can change things that much, why hasn't he been doing it already?    

To those of you who are uncomfortable, what moves would make you feel better about the situation?  Since the draft is behind us, we need to be opportunistic and upgrade anywhere we can.  Ansah and Suh are available, but I'm not sure how much gas is left in their tanks. 

We will need to win in shootouts this year. 

Besides the coaching, two things plagued us in the 2nd half of the Super Bowl in 2017 - the inability to get first downs and the inability to get off the field on defense.  I am hopeful we took steps to solving the offense in this draft (although I suspect it will take time to integrate two rookies into our OL), but I think we have done next to nothing to improve our D.  In fact, it probably is worse today than it was three years ago. 

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 8:33 PM, Dirty South Bird said:

Next draft maybe they’ll double dip into the D-line like they did with the o-line this year...

That's what needs to happen.  We had quite a few holes to fill.  If they would have gone 2 DT's this year, I would have been worried about the O-Line.  Fact is, the draft helped our team a great deal, and the boys will definitely be contenders.  I just think that if we draft defense next season, we will be in great shape.

On 4/30/2019 at 10:20 PM, jidady said:

How comfortable are you right now with Atlanta's ability to generate a pass rush in 2019?

To those of you who are uncomfortable, what moves would make you feel better about the situation?

To those of you who have confidence, which players do you believe are key to our pressure?

I am not confident.

But I am optimistic about McKinley, Jarrett, Beasley, Clayborn, Crawford, Means, Campbell, and Kazee getting us some sacks and pressures this year.

Lining up Clayborn, Jarrett, Crawford, McKinley may be our best pass rush set in seeing quick pressures or sacks.

I wouldn’t mind giving Shane Ray or Nick Perry another chance. Or going all in on adding Ansah. 

Edited by FalconBlood
On 4/30/2019 at 7:20 PM, jidady said:

How comfortable are you right now with Atlanta's ability to generate a pass rush in 2019?

To those of you who are uncomfortable, what moves would make you feel better about the situation?

To those of you who have confidence, which players do you believe are key to our pressure?

Great questions Jidady.

I am comfortable that we can get to average.  This is really all we need from the pass rush to roll into the playoffs.  Our offense should be elite. 

I am comforted by this offseason.  It shows a renewed commitment to getting larger on the line.  Clayborn, Hageman, Cominsky are all larger/stronger type players.  I hope this line starts becoming the BULLY.  I would rather have the big BULLY, than the smaller overachievers.

On 4/30/2019 at 10:40 PM, Tim Mazetti said:

No Sweat. It will be fine.

After the seven minute drives from the O, the D will be well rested and ready to get after it.

There is a power running team forming here.

Julio, et. al. will eat.

This will still be an offense predicated one explosion.  Too much invested into it not to expect s dynamic and explosive unit.

Pass rush and DT were the concerns heading into the draft.  They were not address so it’s still an an issue.  A linebacker would have been nice, too

21 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

I think the Falcons pass rush is going to be like 2016 minus Beasley going crazy. It's going to be a deep committee where everyone gets something. I see a total of about 30 sacks. 

The 2016 pass rush was Vic...more Vic...then for good measure, here is some more Vic for ya.  Had nearly   half our sacks

IF things go as planned on the offense and that's a BIG IF.... the offense will mask the lack of a pass rush until the Falcons face good team.

And then the thing we've seen happen before will happen again.... they'll face a team with a good defense and good pass rush.  Their defense will be able to force 3 and outs, sacks, and turnovers... the Falcons defense will not.  Falcons get the early lead only to watch it go away in the 2nd half.

I'm glad Quinn is calling the defense but he's not a miracle worker.

Also, I guess everyone forgot what happened the last time he was calling the defense.

Not comfortable.  But I still do think the reemergence of vic will occur. 

2 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

This will still be an offense predicated one explosion.  Too much invested into it not to expect s dynamic and explosive unit.

Pass rush and DT were the concerns heading into the draft.  They were not address so it’s still an an issue.  A linebacker would have been nice, too

With a powerful running game and the accompanying play action, there might not be a need for adding to the D this season.

It my hope that they are on the field for 24 Min/game.

DQ taking the helm is the ONLY thing that gives me hope. Sack numb ers wont improve but pressures will with Davison pushing the pocket and Clayborn being back. Clayborn also improves running game by Beasley not being on field.as.much.

57 minutes ago, Tim Mazetti said:

With a powerful running game and the accompanying play action, there might not be a need for adding to the D this season.

It my hope that they are on the field for 24 Min/game.

And that is fair. The remade/upgrade oline witht the addition.of a true 3rd.down.hard yarder should improve drive length. Thhe ONE thing I hated under Shan is that NO lead.was.ever safe.because we.were.exclusively.a.quick.strike offense. In the sb I.remember feeling uneasy after Alfords.pick 6 because the Paatriots were.going to drive methodically again. I was.already seeing fatigue on their faces.

On 4/30/2019 at 11:23 PM, Knight of God said:

I won’t say. I’m not down for an argument. Not a fan of Takk though. Lol!

Without starting an argument, could you say what the red flags are for Takk that makes you not a fan?

I don't have the knowledge nor time to dissect his film to find out what I don't like. I've felt like outside of his health that he's coming along nicely?

3 hours ago, Summerhill said:

I think the Falcons pass rush is going to be like 2016 minus Beasley going crazy. It's going to be a deep committee where everyone gets something. I see a total of about 30 sacks. 

I see a rise in pressures per rush % which is all we really need for players like Kazee and Jones to make Qbs pay. If we can get a rise in QB hits (legally) older qbs like Brees, Rodgers get effected pretty quickly. 

We've certainly been average in sacks the last three years. Right around the middle of the league. To get to the top of the league we need to find 15 additional sacks. With that said, the last three Lombardi teams weren't heavy sack teams. Maybe even below average. They were better run and takeaway defenses. We need more improvement in those areas than sacks. We only need to hit the 40-45 sack range. That's just 3-8 more sacks than we've been getting. Doable.

3 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

We've certainly been average in sacks the last three years. Right around the middle of the league. To get to the top of the league we need to find 15 additional sacks. With that said, the last three Lombardi teams weren't heavy sack teams. Maybe even below average. They were better run and takeaway defenses. We need more improvement in those areas than sacks. We just need to hit the 40-45 sack range. That's just 3-8 more sacks than we've been getting. Doable.

You have to be able to run the ball and stop the run.

11 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

We've certainly been average in sacks the last three years. Right around the middle of the league. To get to the top of the league we need to find 15 additional sacks. With that said, the last three Lombardi teams weren't heavy sack teams. Maybe even below average. They were better run and takeaway defenses. We need more improvement in those areas than sacks. We only need to hit the 40-45 sack range. That's just 3-8 more sacks than we've been getting. Doable.

Truth. And you can’t create turnovers if you passively play on your heels. 

6 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

You have to be able to run the ball and stop the run.

Yes siree.