Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RichardCNile

The good, the bad and the Ugly - 2019 draft edition

32 posts in this topic

I’m no draft expert. I’m like most of you who are avid fans.  I can’t tell you if player x should be drafted 19th instead of 14th, so this doesn’t focus on that.  What’s done is done.  We drafted and so did all the other teams.  So what does it mean now to falcon fans like you and I?

The Good

1. An Offensive Draft -  Like it or not, while we have talked about the Falcons becoming a defensive team; we are now 100% officially an offensive team.  Our identity is offense.  We will live or die on offense over the next 3-5 years which is what many consider our (window) for a SB victory.  

2.  No unicorns - From various post and pre draft reports, the falcons wanted to and did make efforts to trade up and grab a defensive player, but were not willing to give away too much to move up to those spots.  I wanted an O-lineman, but like many of you would love, love, love to see a monster DE or DT that can crush or opponents QB on every 3rd down of the game....heck, even 50% of the third downs would be nice.  However, I think these guys are Unicorns.  They don’t really exist.  Ya, Kalil Mack and a few others are elite pass rushers, but even they get stonewalled against good teams who scheme to add protection or throw the ball quickly.  If opponents can execute these and other tactics, they negate your best player.  With that said, how many teams have an elite pass rusher?  Maybe 3 or 4 teams?   That’s why I say these guys are Unicorns.  They can’t be found, but everyone keeps trying to find them by drafting what they hope will be the next elite pass rusher.  

Consider this as well; with the new rules and the yet to be seen replay anything rule will likely further give advantage to offense.  If your elite Pass rusher does get to the QB, there is a likely chance he will draw a 15 yard penalty because he hit to hard, or his hand brushed the side of the QB’s helmet or any number of other infractions.  So, how helpful is that pass rusher you gave up 3 picks to move up 5 spots to get?   

Yes, if you can build that elite D, you win, but eyeball the Pats D.  How many elite pass rushers so they have?  But they play situational football and have a great scheme to always take high value players out of the game.  

So we didn’t chase a unicorn and instead we got two giants who may or may not have been the “best” value at the spot we got them, but we got them and I’m confident they will help our O- Line.  We will get value from them on every offensive down this team plays for the next several years.  A pass rusher may stop a TD from happening, but an O lineman helps deliver every TD your teams scores. 

3.  No Half Measures -  when we picked a guard, I was puzzled.  But then when we move up to get the 31st pick and got another tackle, things started to make sense.  Add these two picks to the FA signings and this is a clear and obvious message to the NFL.  The message is “we plan to be Offensive in 2019.”   We will have 5 bona-fide starters in 2019 on the O-Line.   We will dominate the time of possession, we will run the ball, and we will make big plays down field.   We will be offensive.  

4.  Best D is an offensive offense.   By chewing the clock, ground and pound and ultimately putting 7 on the board, our defense will get better and more opportunistic.   They will also be fresher in the 4th QTR.    DQ will dial these guys into a solid D.  

The Bad:

Big & Nasty - I read an article that I guess was supposed to denigrate our 31st pick by telling a story about him getting po’d and cutting the speaker wire on the sound in the weight room.   Lol.  I love this story and it makes me love this guy even more.  Ya.  F-Ya!   Get some!  This is a guy that will take it personal.  This is a guy who will make a defensive player stop, drop and roll if they take a cheap shot on MR2.   This is a guy that by the 4th qtr will have worn down the guy playing across from him both physically and mentally, then spend the last 4 minutes telling him how he banged his mom. Love it. 

Rumbler - Again, I cant watch college highlight tapes and see how that converts to the NFL, but I can see that our new RB is big and fast.   Can he produce in the NFL?   I don’t know, but I do know we should have an OLine that will at least give the guy a chance to be a factor in the game.   

The ugly:

Fast and furious - The late rounds reminded me of  my old girlfriend.  DQ said,  if I can’t get top talent, I’ll settle for speed and coach em up.   I think the first CB from Ohio State CB and the last guy we drafted as a potential kick returner both ran in the 4.3 range.   That’s fast.   It would be nice to see our return game finally develop now that Armstrong is gone,   

If you question the OLine moves this offseason, just go see what a diff it made  for Indy last year.  If these guys are half as good as DQ thinks they are we will improve out O line 100%   If they are any better, we will,be back to dropping 40 burgers on teams next year.   

I expect to go to a game this year and carry the letter O and a piece of fence.   It’s all about the O.

Posted (edited)

I cannot subscribe to us being “100%” an offensive team.

A defense starting:

McKinley

Jarrett/Crawford

Davison/Senat

Beasley/Clayborn

Jones

Campbell/Oluokun

Kazee

Allen

Neal

Trufant

Oliver

can be a top 15 or better defense. Just takes growth, cohesion and development.

Edited by FalconBlood

24 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

I liked the draft but you may have just turned me off of watching. Lol!!!

I’ll take that as a compliment.  Thank you!  

Knight of God likes this

2 minutes ago, RichardCNile said:

I’ll take that as a compliment.  Thank you!  

Good post man, seriously. You just reminded me the NFL has no defense anymore. I’m all defense. When does the XFL start?

RichardCNile likes this

1 minute ago, FalconBlood said:

A defense starting:

McKinley

Jarrett/Crawford

Davison/Senat

Beasley/Clayborn

Jones

Campbell/Oluokun

Kazee

Allen

Neal

Trufant

Oliver

I agree. I love out D.  Just sayin.... i don’t see us losing a 12-14 game this year.  We wil, play with a lead and won’t give the other team the ball back with 5 min left to score a go ahead TD

Just now, RichardCNile said:

I agree. I love out D.  Just sayin.... i don’t see us losing a 12-14 game this year.  We wil, play with a lead and won’t give the other team the ball back with 5 min left to score a go ahead TD

Ah, I see where you were heading. 5 star post.

RichardCNile likes this

Just now, Knight of God said:

Good post man, seriously. You just reminded me the NFL has no defense anymore. I’m all defense. When does the XFL start?

You are correct... sadly,  The rule changes over the past 5 years are designed to produce high scoring games.  

While I LOVE the fact that we got two O linemen in the first round, no one can say they were great value picks. In fact, you could say the exact opposite. I personally don't think we reached on either of them, but I definitely don't think they were value picks at all. Lindstrom definitely wouldn't have made it much further and McGary probably wouldn't have either, but no one knows for sure. But its not like we got some steals of the draft or anything. 

RichardCNile likes this

11 minutes ago, Clark Kent™ said:

While I LOVE the fact that we got two O linemen in the first round, no one can say they were great value picks. In fact, you could say the exact opposite. I personally don't think we reached on either of them, but I definitely don't think they were value picks at all. Lindstrom definitely wouldn't have made it much further and McGary probably wouldn't have either, but no one knows for sure. But its not like we got some steals of the draft or anything. 

Ya, I think the value will come in the 4th quarters of games and on 3rd down when MR2 has time to get the ball out.   

1 minute ago, RichardCNile said:

Ya, I think the value will come in the 4th quarters of games and on 3rd down when MR2 has time to get the ball out.   

I think it will come when we need to run the ball to seal games. But as draft picks, definitely not the best value. 

Knight of God likes this

25 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

A top 5 defensive team will win the championship next season. 

Knight of God likes this

18 minutes ago, Clark Kent™ said:

I think it will come when we need to run the ball to seal games. But as draft picks, definitely not the best value. 

Trust me, I’m not a Thomas Dimitroff fan. The reason we had to get these guys is because he has not drafted a starter since Mathews.....who,was also a 1st rounder.

Knight of God likes this

8 minutes ago, RichardCNile said:

Trust me, I’m not a Thomas Dimitroff fan. The reason we had to get these guys is because he has not drafted a starter since Mathews.....who,was also a 1st rounder.

I'm with you on that. My whole thought process has been "it should never have gotten to this point". But I'm happy we finally rectified it. 

The Grades on our draft in 2016 hovered around C for exactly the same reason....value.

Most experts thought Neal was a 2nd Rounder drafted too early. Most liked him..... but in the 2nd round.

Jones was seen as a gamble in Round 2 because he had limited playing experience. Hooper was seen as a need pick as opposed to a steal. And Campbell was considered a reach due to poor instincts and the fact that other more NFL ready linebackers available.

If the 2 Offensive linemen protect Matt and make all our running backs look better, then we will get our share of A'a on the Do-Over draft ratings a few years down the road.

RichardCNile and IamFRESCO1 like this

Idk about becoming a ground and pound team or ball control. That's not DQ's style DK's either for that matter. Fixing the O-line is simply about bringing back the balanced attack that kept DCs' up at night during our SB run. If i'm not mistaken we played 8-10 top 15 defenses that year and shredded all but Philly. My bold prediction (until proven otherwise) is that this years offense will surpass the 2016 offense.

IamFRESCO1 likes this

2 hours ago, FalconBlood said:

A defense starting:

McKinley

Jarrett/Crawford

Davison/Senat

Beasley/Clayborn

Jones

Campbell/Oluokun

Kazee

Allen

Neal

Trufant

Oliver

That list is gross, id delete it, no on is impressed, especially with Neal and Ricos injuries

8 minutes ago, shockerfalcon said:

Idk about becoming a ground and pound team or ball control. That's not DQ's style DK's either for that matter. Fixing the O-line is simply about bringing back the balanced attack that kept DCs' up at night during our SB run. If i'm not mistaken we played 8-10 top 15 defenses that year and shredded all but Philly. My bold prediction (until proven otherwise) is that this years offense will surpass the 2016 offense.

Give me what your are smokin asap, wait nevermind its not of the THC variety

3 minutes ago, TRUju2111 said:

That list is gross, id delete it, no on is impressed, especially with Neal and Ricos injuries

Haha. Growth, cohesion and development. Lots of talent on our defense.

Just now, TRUju2111 said:

Give me what your are smokin asap, wait nevermind its not of the THC variety

granted my prediction hinges on the o-line, which looks heads and shoulders better on paper right now. Still got Matty Ice so the QB situation is unchanged, RBs are arguably better with the addition of a big back that can get the tough short yards that we lacked in 2016, TE is arguably comparable, WR's is arguably better with the addition of CR. At the worst this offensive roster is equal to the SB roster but in reality it's probably better especially if the O-line performs as expected.

IamFRESCO1 likes this

2 minutes ago, shockerfalcon said:

granted my prediction hinges on the o-line, which looks heads and shoulders better on paper right now. Still got Matty Ice so the QB situation is unchanged, RBs are arguably better with the addition of a big back that can get the tough short yards that we lacked in 2016, TE is arguably comparable, WR's is arguably better with the addition of CR. At the worst this offensive roster is equal to the SB roster but in reality it's probably better especially if the O-line performs as expected.

It didnt matter who we had on the 2016 roster, Ryan and Shannahan carved teams up with Turbo as our #1 and our #6 TE snaggin tds. No one will ever be as open as dudes where under Shanny, sorry bro but this offense cant even sniff 2016