Sonic the Hedgehog Trailer

tl;dr

Easily the worst teaser trailer I've ever seen. It looks like they didn't have 90 seconds worth of interesting footage so they just played loud music with an overly hyped graphics display. Hope they didn't put too much into this, especially since it's more than 20 years too late.

Do people even fuck with Sonic like this?

I mean he was big for a couple of years in the early to mid 90's, but outside of that? Not really? A Mario movie works because the character transcended time. Pikachu is a cultural icon worldwide for well over 20 years.

Sonic is a character which had a good run for 3 or so games between the Genesis->Master system. 2 ok cartoons during an era where Saturday Morning cartoons were winding down from the roaring 80's, and a passable comic made by the same people who brought you the blandness that is Archie. Outside of that its been garbage. He never transitioned well to the 3D landscape. His anime was simply horrific, and his brand so tarnished that it even helped kill the console industry by his company. Nobody asked for this, nobody wanted this. They need to scrap it before Sega embarrasses themselves even more.

Edited by Forever Julian

And if we are gonna be honest lets be honest, I am about to hurt some feelings here:

Sonic 2 WAS amazing. That chemical plant zone stage is one of the top 10 gaming achievements of all time. I remember as a kid seeing Sonic outrun the actual screen and having a feeling which can only be described as Nipsey Hu$$le telling the guy who shot him "You got me" before the guy finished him off. It was that good, but us with the SNES got Yoshi's Island 2 years later and it was objectively better than Sonic had, has, or ever will be.

Sonic never got anywhere close to that feeling it gave us on stage 2 of Sonic 2. Nowhere close. Come on Millenials and Gen X if we are being honest you got the genesis for sonic(****, it came free with most bundles here), but why did you keep playing? It was the sports game. Sega had the best sports games. They tried to make Sonic sports and he even messed that up. People are getting nostalgic for 3 games at the most.

And then they started these gimmicks. Like wtf is even Shadow? Cool sonic? well we had that with Knuckles. Lazy.

2 minutes ago, SpongeDad said:

**** all you Sega fanboys.

Nintendo till I die.

Another+nintendo+fanboy+i+see+go+back+to

I dont even consider myself a nintendo fanboy. My favorite system ever was the dreamcast.

Shenmue

Sakura Taisen

Phantasy Star Online

Jet Set Radio

Ecco the dolphin

Project Justice

NBA 2K2

Space Channel 5

A functional web browser

That system was special. Notice the distinct lack of Sonic on my list. We were all done with Sonic even back then. I dont know where this meme that we all liked Sonic Adventure came from. That game was trash.

I'm just waiting for Tetris: The Movie

Important update!  Evidently there's a movie based on Tetris already, or at least, there was going to be one back in 2016.  Don't know if it ever got made.  But contrary to the above sentence, I will not be seeing it even if it does actually exist.

On 5/6/2019 at 3:58 PM, Jerry Lundegaard said:

I'm just waiting for Tetris: The Movie

Important update!  Evidently there's a movie based on Tetris already, or at least, there was going to be one back in 2016.  Don't know if it ever got made.  But contrary to the above sentence, I will not be seeing it even if it does actually exist.

What about the Super Mario movie?!?! They are making another one apparently. Can't be worse than the first one right?

The last good sonic game was Sonic and knuckles in 1994. That was 25 years ago. That means you would have to at least be 29-30 to even have the slightest memory of when Sonic was a thing.

I would love to see who asked for this to be made, and who are they aiming for as the intended audience. College kids who, if they had an older sibling, grew up seeing the terrible Sonic Adventure and 06 games? People who watched the absolutely terrible Anime? Who is the audience here?

23 minutes ago, Forever Julian said:

The last good sonic game was Sonic and knuckles in 1994. That was 25 years ago. That means you would have to at least be 29-30 to even have the slightest memory of when Sonic was a thing.

I would love to see who asked for this to be made, and who are they aiming for as the intended audience. College kids who, if they had an older sibling, grew up seeing the terrible Sonic Adventure and 06 games? People who watched the absolutely terrible Anime? Who is the audience here?

There are a lot of stories, be they books, shows,  movies or video games that I've loved over the years  thst I've desperately wished would have just gone on forever to continue to give me decades of escape and entertainment. 

Things like Team Sonic and thier constant  attempts to reinvent the wheel (and I mean there have been some really really weird concepts from the Sonic crew including first person shooters and a JRPG) show why it's best to let a franchise sit on its laurels if not just let it die the most dignified death it possibly can.

On 5/11/2019 at 6:44 PM, AF89 said:

There are a lot of stories, be they books, shows,  movies or video games that I've loved over the years  thst I've desperately wished would have just gone on forever to continue to give me decades of escape and entertainment. 

Things like Team Sonic and thier constant  attempts to reinvent the wheel (and I mean there have been some really really weird concepts from the Sonic crew including first person shooters and a JRPG) show why it's best to let a franchise sit on its laurels if not just let it die the most dignified death it possibly can.

if Sonic would have went into the sweet night in 1996, after Sonic R, I feel it would hold a much better place in video game history.

Sonic 3d games were just that bad.

So I avoided actually watching the trailer because the still shots people were posting from it were just terrible. I mean the design they came up with for Sonic was horrible and whoever said "yes, yes, this is what Sonic should look like!" needs to uh not be in charge of anything important.

But I took the kids to see Detective Pikachu this past weekend and they had a trailer for Sonic so I had to sit through it. Good lord. GOOD. LORD. People laughed in the theater. I would have if I weren't shaking my head so much. I mean Sonic was never a great franchise really, especially after they moved on past the Genesis... Sonic was iconic only because it was the closest thing Sega had to a mascot when Nintendo made Mario a household name.

This movie looks bad. Really bad. Fixing Sonic's design for the movie will help but this movie has flop written all over it.

Detective Pikachu was actually better than I expected btw... but that's not really saying much because I thought it would be pretty lame. Incredibly predictable but they did a good job on the "real life" design of the pokemon. Ryan Reynolds voice didn't fit at all and the ending was just weird.

To be fair though comparing Sonic, and his franchise to Pikachu is like when Green called Pierce for trying to get the Kobe farewell tour:

Chasing that movie deal

They dont love you like that

You cant get no theatrical release

They dont love you like that.

You aint got that type of love

You thought you was Pikachu?

You aint Pikachu

Says it all really.

The funniest thing is they tried to bring out all these rejects to be part of his universe. It started with Amy in the 90's, but we accepted that because her first appearance was in a good game the way Tails and Knuckles were, but the rest?

Shadow? Gay

That silver hedgehog? Even worse

Everybody else? Trash.

Thats why they tried to bring in these bland humans for him to interact with like in Sonic 06, which is probably one of the worst games ever made.