KCartledge85

Having a hard time feeling good about this draft

184 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

Am I the only one that thinks McGrady profiles to Guard better? 

If his footwork can’t be improved, a move inside is a possibility.

If Ty balls out, Kaleb could also move inside.

Versatility is s plus

Posted (edited)

21 hours ago, falcons007 said:

Sambrilo wasn’t as polished or ready as McGary and he was not healthy for first 2 years. Sure, McGary will take his lumps as he grows in to the role. It’s not like Sambrilo is great RT. 

And McGary's run blocking may get him starting sooner anyway. Plus, no one here knows how quickly he will adapt the technique and coaching on how they want him to play a speed rusher now at the NFL level.

We're clearly saying we want to run the ball more. That'll help with confidence and growing pains; so will a TE and 4 other good OL.

Also, no one knows where Lindstrom will start yet. Brown could very well be the RG, etc.

We're complaining over short-term salary cap; read 2 years total people, and not being glad to have this problem.

This is the cost of reaching rock bottom with consistency, while having 2 pro bowlers on the same line. Think about that.

Fix. The. Lines.

We screamed and hollered until we did. The DL is another beast will have its time, but did get some love. Davison/AC/Hageman/Cominsky coming back to Year 2 Senat, contract year VB, Takk year 3, GJ in his prime, etc.

Do not disrespect the run game folks. Most of those moves solidify the run D more so and that will help the pass rush. A better OL is gonna help our DL get more quality practice reps, too.

McGary. Davison. Even RS before his downturn, even Ty as a run blocker, etc.

Pass is sexy, but run game makes it work. ;)

Edited by Ergo Proxy
falcons007 likes this

35 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

And McGary's run blocker may get him starting sooner anyway. Plus, no one here knows how quickly he will adapt the technique and coaching on how they want him to play a speed rusher now at the NFL level.

We're clearly saying we want to run the ball more. That'll help with confidence and growing pains; so will a TE and 4 other good OL.

Also, no one knows where Lindstrom will start yet. Brown could very well be the RG, etc.

We're complaining over short-term salary cap; read 2 years total people, and not being glad to have this problem.

This is the cost of reaching rock bottom with consistency, while having 2 pro bowlers on the same line. Think about that.

Fix. The. Lines.

We screamed and hollered until we did. The DL is another beast all times, but did get some love. Davison/AC/Hageman/Cominsky coming back to Year 2 Senat, contract year VB, Takk year 3,GJ in his prime, etc.

Do not disrespect the run game folks. Most of those move solidify the run D more so and that will help the pass rush. A better OL is gonna help our DL get more quality practice reps, too.

McGary. Davison. Even RS before his downturn, even Ty as a run blocker, etc.

Pass is sexy, but run game makes it work. ;)

I agree, I think DQ realized lack of quality starters and backups will cost his job. No one knows if the rookies will start but all of the rookies in first round started from 2016. Gone are the days where First round OL would sit a year out.

4 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

I've become a huge McGary fan after learning more about him.

I see. And for good reason.

Me too. He certainly seems determined. That determination can overcome minor physical limitations in the game of football. I tried to play RT for two weeks during spring practice in HS. The little determined DE guys tore me up. Sent me home without my cleats.

He seems as sincere as anyone when he speaks......and I imagine he is a man of few words. That AJC hit piece may have an effect, but he has pros around him to help out.

Francis York Morgan likes this

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, vel said:

I would have been downright PISSED if we took Little. Even if he was there in the 7th. I would have been pissed. McGary I got. I saw him as a direct Schraeder comp, just a bit more athletic. 

I said something like "a rich man's Ryan Schraeder" after looking more into him on Day 1 and after those RAS scores got posted.

Like, okay dude has short-ISH arms but let's ignore his insanely good overall athleticism? Give him time to improve at NFL level, babysit with a TE, or give him a break if Ty beats him out. Lindstrom was more immediate and both long-term; great if McGary is a quick learn but worth getting over the other OT prospects if he is 'your guy'. Cost was CB and DL rounds 2 and 3; because I don't see an OT worth taking by staying at 45 and hoping they'd develop by year 2 to replace Ty ..oh and that thing about starting if Ty got hurt OR regressed at all?

^McNasty and McGravy train lol

Hey, the TATF mock thread @FalconBloodmade had us take him so I should've know! :tiphat:

Edited by Ergo Proxy
vel, FalconBlood and Tim Mazetti like this

20 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

How many of those teams were good teams? Him not starting this year doesn't make him a "project." It would mean that the Falcons have a better option with more experience to put out there so they don't have to rush a rookie into the starting lineup. Because like I said before, if you're starting rookies on the OL that normally means you're not a very good team. The Falcons traded up for him because they like him as a player and probably wanted to get that 5th year option on him. That 5th year option is pretty important thing to teams these days. As has already been pointed out if the Falcons stay put at #45 they miss out on all the offensive tackles. The Panthers traded up to draft an OT and gave up their 3rd round pick as well.

You can look up the teams the other rookies played  if you want to know, my point was 1st round draft picks start more often than people seem to think.

And, yes, if he doesn't start immediately, doesn't make him a bust at all, and yes the 5th year option is a factor, still think that the Falcons intention for him is to be the starting RT from game one.

As John Clayton said,  "White guy Wednesday will start day 1". 

Tim Mazetti likes this

8 minutes ago, falconidae said:

You can look up the teams the other rookies played  if you want to know, my point was 1st round draft picks start more often than people seem to think.

And, yes, if he doesn't start immediately, doesn't make him a bust at all, and yes the 5th year option is a factor, still think that the Falcons intention for him is to be the starting RT from game one.

As John Clayton said,  "White guy Wednesday will start day 1". 

I was and as I said most of them happened to play for bad teams. I don't care if he starts day 1 or not. I'm not the one *****ing about it acting like it's a bad decision to trade up to get him.

Tim Mazetti likes this