KCartledge85

Having a hard time feeling good about this draft

184 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, vel said:

Your point was "the value of trading up back in to first round doesn't look good". To move up, it took giving up a third, but they got a first round talent and a fifth year option. The Panthers made the same trade and got less value. At that point, you're no longer arguing value in a vacuum, but with a real comp in terms of determining what that value was in the 2019 draft. You can't compare other trades from other drafts, because they're their own environment. 

First round talent is expected to start in NFL. In the past several years, first round OT started.

5 minutes ago, vel said:

Agreed. But to have the option to keep both is the value. The odds of them both not being extended are much lower all things considered. It's just, in the worst case, you won't lose them for five years. Guaranteed. One of them for 6 with franchise tag. It's just the flexibility. It's no guarantee they will not be extended. Even still, like with Vic and Grady, this isn't some talent devoid team with both of them taking up as much space as they are. Yea, it limited the moves, but they worked around it well I think. 

The option is really only great for cases like Vic.  There is an unknown preventing us from buying in on an extension.  If Lindstrom are sure fire top 10 at their positions, extend them both if possible.  At worst extend the better of the two.  But last option is 5th year options in players you are going to extend

vel likes this

5 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

First round talent is expected to start in NFL. In the past several years, first round OT started.

I don’t think that holds with McGary. They have a plan.  I suspect a staggered introduction into the lineup over the course of the season.  Starter year 2 unless Ty is a beast....which is possible

We will know more in TC once we see where Lindstrom lines up.  If on the right, Ty is the starter

Schwarzwald and Tim Mazetti like this

People should consider McGary a 2nd.  Dimi wasn't sure if he'd be able to trade up in the 2nd to get him, and saw he could trade to the end of the first for about the same capital.

If he'd traded to the 2nd pick of the 2nd round, then everyone wouldn't expect immediate starting in the same way.

So think of it that way.  It's just 3 picks separate.  This guy wasn't a top 10 pick.  He was a 30-40 pick.

47 minutes ago, vel said:

Considering the Panthers made the same exact trade we made to get Greg Little, but to the top of the second round, I fully disagree. They didn't even get a fifth year option out of the deal. The Falcons did. 

Our trade-up for a tackle was so much better than the panthers. Still can’t believe they drafted Greg little, lol.

Schwarzwald and FalconsIn2012 like this

6 minutes ago, Drew4719 said:

Our trade-up for a tackle was so much better than the panthers. Still can’t believe they drafted Greg little, lol.

Everyone supports Dimi for trading up if McGary was his guy.  Why are we mocking the Panthers for doing the same.  Buffalo wanted to take him but settled for Ford and moved up to 38 to grab him

4 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I don’t think that holds with McGary. They have a plan.  I suspect a staggered introduction into the lineup over the course of the season.  Starter year 2 unless Ty is a beast....which is possible

We will know more in TC once we see where Lindstrom lines up.  If on the right, Ty is the starter

I am not so sure on Ty being a beast. Ty was compared to washed up Ryan Schraeder, which made him look better. I fully expect McGary to beat out Ty. Ty is an insurance policy if McGary doesn’t start.

1 minute ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Everyone supports Dimi for trading up if McGary was his guy.  Why are we mocking the Panthers for doing the same

We talking Greg Little lol. I would have been disappointed if the Falcons made the trade. 

Drew4719 likes this

Just now, Falconsin2012 said:

Everyone supports Dimi for trading up if McGary was his guy.  Why are we mocking the Panthers for doing the same

Because McGary is way more athletic than little. Before the draft, Little was one of the few players that I absolutely didn’t want the Falcons to pick, I’m not just now changing my opinion because the panthers got him.

falcons007 and vel like this

13 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

We will know more on TC once we see where Lindstrom lines up.  If on the right, Ty is the starter

I think Sambrailo is the perfect stopgap for McGary. Said all offseason I wouldn't be mad if he started, just hated the risk of relying solely on him being consistently good/healthy. Also, gives you a chance to see if McGary's unconventional technique can carry over without too much risk. 

4 minutes ago, vel said:

I think Sambrailo is the perfect stopgap for McGary. Said all offseason I wouldn't be mad if he started, just hated the risk of relying solely on him being consistently good/healthy. Also, gives you a chance to see if McGary's unconventional technique can carry over without too much risk. 

I’m intrigued to see how good Ty can be with solid RG play next to him

16 minutes ago, Drew4719 said:

Because McGary is way more athletic than little. Before the draft, Little was one of the few players that I absolutely didn’t want the Falcons to pick, I’m not just now changing my opinion because the panthers got him.

I couldn’t believe Panthers traded up to get him in second round. But Panthers desperately need a tackle. They could have got Risner or even Scharping at 47.

33 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Everyone supports Dimi for trading up if McGary was his guy.  Why are we mocking the Panthers for doing the same.  Buffalo wanted to take him but settled for Ford and moved up to 38 to grab him

Little is one of my least favorite players in the draft, personally. If we'd traded up for him I'd be furious. But I agree that it can seem a bit hypocritical.

Still not all the way over our first round, but at this point I get it and I've fallen in love with most of the players we took. Really weak draft this year overall, lots of the players I liked wound up going way earlier than expected. Makes things feel less bad.

vel, FalconsIn2012 and Drew4719 like this

7 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I’m intrigued to see how good Ty can be with solid RG play next to him

Man Ty was dam good to end the season. That's what threw me off about the whole offseason. DQ was making a big bet on Vic, and it seemed like they were making similar ones on the OL with Carpenter, Brown, and Ty. Glad they didn't settle. 

FalconsIn2012 and Tim Mazetti like this

4 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Little is one of my least favorite players in the draft, personally. If we'd traded up for him I'd be furious. But I agree that it can seem a bit hypocritical.

Still not all the way over our first round, but at this point I get it and I've fallen in love with most of the players we took. Really weak draft this year overall, lots of the players I liked wound up going way earlier than expected. Makes things feel less bad.

I would have been downright PISSED if we took Little. Even if he was there in the 7th. I would have been pissed. McGary I got. I saw him as a direct Schraeder comp, just a bit more athletic. 

4 minutes ago, vel said:

Man Ty was dam good to end the season. That's what threw me off about the whole offseason. DQ was making a big bet on Vic, and it seemed like they were making similar ones on the OL with Carpenter, Brown, and Ty. Glad they didn't settle. 

He was doing that with garbage next to him.  

vel likes this

20 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Agreed.  

As I have stated repeatedly, it’s not about the players.  It’s the cost that bothered me.

Once the season starts I’ll be the biggest Lindstrom/McGary fans in the world....but being a Lindstrom/McGary/insert 3rd rd pick would have been sweeter

54 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

I totally get that, but it would raise question marks if he was worth moving up. 

The irony is people are already questioning whether it was worth it with VERY limited knowledge of the process, and before he's ever even set foot in Georgia much less on the practice field.

Was it worth it ? I don't know yet and neither does anyone else.

Was he drafted to early ? I don't know yet and neither does anyone else.

falcons007, Drew4719, vel and 1 other like this

21 minutes ago, vel said:

I would have been downright PISSED if we took Little. Even if he was there in the 7th. I would have been pissed. McGary I got. I saw him as a direct Schraeder comp, just a bit more athletic. 

I think you meant a lot meaner than RS.  More physical...more I’ll eat your children and then steal your wife from you.

Schraeder looked better because of Toilolo.  Not a shock that once he left, so did RS’s game

vel likes this

6 minutes ago, rcky_mtn_falcon said:

The irony is people are already questioning whether it was worth it with VERY limited knowledge of the process, and before he's ever even set foot in Georgia much less on the practice field.

Was it worth it ? I don't know yet and neither does anyone else.

Was he drafted to early ? I don't know yet and neither does anyone else.

I think he is worth it, but will he live up? We shall see in next 4-5 yearszyears

3 hours ago, falcons007 said:

Which is exactly my point. It won’t make him bust but you have to wonder if they could have taken some one at 45 or traded down 5-7 picks and given up a 4th round pick.

There was no offensive tackles left to be picked at 45. That has already been explained. In order to get an offensive tackle the Falcons were going to have to trade up to get one. That means giving up their 3rd round pick because the Panthers traded up to get one and that is what it cost them. It's better to trade up into the 1st round and get that 5th year option than it is to trade up to the top of the 2nd round and not get it when the cost is exactly the same!!

vel, Drew4719 and Tim Mazetti like this