KCartledge85

Having a hard time feeling good about this draft

184 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

There are drafted players/ starters who make less than that and skew the numbers. If you are 20-30 in FA, it’s not big money. 

What name on this list doesn’t belong

Brandon Brooks

GUARD
$8,000,000 
18 Brian Winters

Brian Winters

GUARD
$7,250,000 
19 Billy Turner

Billy Turner

GUARD
$7,000,000 
  Zach Fulton

Zach Fulton

GUARD
$7,000,000 
21 Jamon Brown

Jamon Brown

GUARD
$6,250,000 
22 Kyle Long

Kyle Long

GUARD
$6,100,000 
23 Quenton Nelson

Quenton Nelson

GUARD

What I liked most about this offseason is the FO said by God we are gonna fix the Oline. Yeah they paid heavy cap space and draft capital, but it finally looks like we can create some serious competition and come out of it with a decent starting OLine and better depth in September:

• LT - Bloodline, Wetzel
  • LG - Carpenter, Swipester
  • OC - Mack, Gettis
  • RG - Lindstrom, Brown
  • RT - Sombrero, McGary, Gono

We should be able to find nine or ten guys out of that group that can get us through the season in good shape. I'd feel better if we pick up a late camp center to back up Mack just in case. Maybe they can cross train a couple guys that can. Should be way better than our last two OLines. Especially with Kutty and Mularkey handling the run and pass game with two tights and full backs. For the draftniks that's five first rounders. Trenches baby. Add one or two more on the DLine and it would be an excellent offseason. Should have done this last year.

2 hours ago, falcons007 said:

I highly doubt Ty will start. Ty can be swing tackle backing up bothbMathews and McGary. McGary will most likely start unless he just can’t grasp the scheme.

McGary may start but after a few rookie episodes he'll likely give way to Sombrero who TATF is sleeping on. Not a beast but solid in the run and pass game. McGary is coming in with red flags in his pass game. Primed for the as beatin Sombrero took when he was a rook. 

FalconsIn2012 likes this

3 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

McGary may start but after a few rookie episodes he'll likely give way to Sombrero who TATF is sleeping on. Not a beast but solid in the pass and run game. McGary is coming in with red flags in the pass game. Primed for the as beatin Sombrero took when he was a rook. 

I don’t think they expect Day 1 starter from McGary.  Lindstrom can lean on both Mack & Ty for help as he figures things out.

If  it’s McGary & Lindstrom on the right side, there is no help

3 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

McGary may start but after a few rookie episodes he'll likely give way to Sombrero who TATF is sleeping on. Not a beast but solid in the pass and run game. McGary is coming in with red flags in the pass game. Primed for the as beatin Sombrero took when he was a rook. 

Sambrilo wasn’t as polished or ready as McGary and he was not healthy for first 2 years. Sure, McGary will take his lumps as he grows in to the role. It’s not like Sambrilo is great RT. 

Osiruz, Schwarzwald, vitaman and 1 other like this

25 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Brandon Brooks

GUARD
$8,000,000 
18 Brian Winters

Brian Winters

GUARD
$7,250,000 
19 Billy Turner

Billy Turner

GUARD
$7,000,000 
  Zach Fulton

Zach Fulton

GUARD
$7,000,000 
21 Jamon Brown

Jamon Brown

GUARD
$6,250,000 
22 Kyle Long

Kyle Long

GUARD
$6,100,000 
23 Quenton Nelson

Quenton Nelson

GUARD

Now post the OG on rookie contracts. They make way less but are starters.

4 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I don’t think they expect Day 1 starter from McGary.  Lindstrom can lean on both Mack & Ty for help as he figures things out.

If  it’s McGary & Lindstrom on the right side, there is no help

Think it makes more sense, if they do start both, to have Lindstrum at LG and McGary at RT, so they both have veterans around them.

I think they traded up because they think McGary can start right away, they could have stayed at 45 and gotten a developmental RT, saved the 3rd rounder.

So, I think McGary starts with training wheels- TE/ 6thOL /chipping RB on his side. Hopefully they can take the training wheels off after the bye.

McGary would be greatly aided by a solid run game, which would make the play action game work, which would help keep the DEs from just pinning their ears back and rushing the passer.

11 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

One is on the list I showed you

Just one, there are at least 7-8 more on rookie contracts but are better starters than Brown. Add the quality starters on rookie contracts, it’s basically high end back up money. Not a quality starter, the high quality starters make twice of what Brown and Carpenter are making in 2019.

8 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Think it makes more sense, if they do start both, to have Lindstrum at LG and McGary at RT, so they both have veterans around them.

I think they traded up because they think McGary can start right away, they could have stayed at 45 and gotten a developmental RT, saved the 3rd rounder.

So, I think McGary starts with training wheels- TE/ 6thOL /chipping RB on his side. Hopefully they can take the training wheels off after the bye.

McGary would be greatly aided by a solid run game, which would make the play action game work, which would help keep the DEs from just pinning their ears back and rushing the passer.

If McGary doesn’t start for any reason other than injuries, I would question trading up to first round.

Boise Falcon Fan likes this

5 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Why did thethe ball. Falcons draft Chris Lindstrom? Because he was the #1 player on their board and if they didn't draft him he would have gone to the Vikings at pick #19. That's good enough reason for me and the only reason I need.

And a bonus the Falcons' will run the ball.

Falconsfan567 likes this

Agree to a certain extent on the value where drafted criticism. Having said that, if there is no one to trade back with, and you think there’s going to be a run on OL, TD was smart to make the moves he did. None of us has enough info to take the criticism any farther. 

How quickly we forget how many games last year looked like a jailbreak coming through the OL at Ryan (NO, Pittsburgh, etc.) and how for years there was little chance of converting 3rd and short or 4th down because the OL was overmatched. Watch Fusco last year - dude was on roller skates in pass pro most of the time. Ugly. Schweitzer: ugly, off balance, not strong enough. Garland: nice story but a terrible player. 

Great game planning, execution, and injury luck masked long-standing problems in 2016. Need a strong OL to run the ball and execute play action. Everyone’s job gets A LOT easier at that point. 

Edited by EpicBird
vitaman and Tim Mazetti like this

11 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

If McGary doesn’t start for any reason other than injuries, I would question trading up to first round.

I'm pretty sure they'll force start Lindstrom and McGary, but I fully expect them to play like most late first early second round rooks. Plenty front sevens out there caint wait to baptize em. They'll be heavily targeted. If the season starts slipping away early look for a couple of those well paid back ups to take over.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

16 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

If the season starts slipping away early look for a couple of those well paid back ups to take over.

:lol: What is it with the negative waves?

1 hour ago, falconidae said:

Yeah bro McGary and Lindstrom may start, get handled, then bounce back in the second season like some of the 2016 rooks did. If they don't, we finally have enough OLine depth to cover. Smart roster building Dimi!!! What took so long?

Drew4719 and FalconsIn2012 like this

8 hours ago, KCartledge85 said:

So I have been thinking about how the 1st round turned out ever since last Thursday night. Coming into the draft, I figured there was no way trader Thomas wouldn't make a splash. With the way the Falcons were signing veterans just before draft day, all signs pointed to TD using the draft capital of 9 selection to create impact. 

It's been reported that TD tried to move to #10. I tend to think this was for Jonah Williams and not Wilkins, but we may never know. The entire offseason has been about protecting Matt Ryan, so it just seems logical. Unable to move up from #14, ill be honest, im not sure anyone was left the fan base would be happy with. Montez Sweat was probably the only player available "experts" could have viewed as a "value". The guy has off the field and medical issues. I wouldn't be shocked if he wasn't off TD's board all together. With that said, moving BACK was the obvious play here. For months everyone was talking about how much value was in the top 3 rounds of the 2019 draft. Move out of no value spot, get more draft capital, seems like an easy decision. TD was already quoted saying they discussed moving back, but ultimately decided to make a selection. When they announced Lindstrom, I wasn't mad, I just didn't see ANY value in the pick. You're drafting the #14 overall pick and the first guard in the entire draft. That player is suppose to be a DOMINATING PLAYER. Everything you read about Lindstrom suggests he should be a "solid pro". He "doesn't do anything great, but also doesn't have a major weakness". It is so underwhelming.

Here is where it gets UGLY for me ....

Pre-Draft Analysis

McGary is a tall, well-built right tackle prospect with short arms, especially for his height. He is a very good run-blocker who gets into position and moves defenders off the ball when he keeps his pads down. He has a quick set and a lot of shock in his hands, but he lunges at times, and his arm length is a concern.

Post-Draft Analysis

Atlanta isn't messing around when it comes to protecting quarterback Matt Ryan. They trade back into Round 1 here to further bolster a run offense that ranked 25th in rushing yards per game last season. McGary has the skill set to push Ty Sambrailo for the starting job at right tackle as a rookie. -- Steve Muench

Folks ..... We gave up our 2nd and 3rd round pick for someone that "has the skill set to push Ty Sambrailo for the starting job". If I am giving up extra picks in the top 3 rounds, the guy WITHOUT A DOUBT is better than Ty Sambrilo. How in the earth do we move back into the 1st round for this guy? You have Taylor, Ford, Risner and Little all available to you for less draft capital in early round 2. 

This draft literally could have been Andre Dillard, Greedy Williams and Jaylon Ferguson.

I'm not ready to move on from TD and DQ, but if we don't have a dominate offensive line or continue to have a TERRIBLE pass rush in 2019, sign me up. 

Our front office filled needs in this draft but they totally screwed us in the process and wasted many picks.  They had a golden opportunity picking at 14 and having so many picks in this draft for once and they didn’t really take advantage the way they should have  thT is what is so disappointing 

Sure we definitely filled needs but we paid way too much for our 1st 2 picks 

I really like both players we and they should perform well but we wasted so much value and resources unnecessarily in obtaining them 

2 hours ago, falcons007 said:

I honestly don't understand this line of thinking.

3 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Brandon Brooks

GUARD
$8,000,000 
18 Brian Winters

Brian Winters

GUARD
$7,250,000 
19 Billy Turner

Billy Turner

GUARD
$7,000,000 
  Zach Fulton

Zach Fulton

GUARD
$7,000,000 
21 Jamon Brown

Jamon Brown

GUARD
$6,250,000 
22 Kyle Long

Kyle Long

GUARD
$6,100,000 
23 Quenton Nelson

Quenton Nelson

GUARD

I read somewhere that the Falcons are probably planning on playing Brown at tackle which is why he got the money he got. I don't remember where I saw that but it does make sense when you look at the depth chart.

5 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I honestly don't understand this line of thinking.

First round pick who Falcons gave up a 3rd rounder isn’t a project. You can pick a project player at 45 or 79.

Just now, falcons007 said:

First round pick who Falcons gave up a 3rd rounder isn’t a project. You can pick a project player at 45 or 79.

Very very very very very very very very few offensive linemen are qualified to start as rookies in the NFL. If you're starting rookies on the offensive line you're usually not a very good team. Offensive line is the hardest position in football to make the jump from college to the NFL and it's even harder now than it used to be because of offensive linemen not getting proper teaching in college anymore. If McGary doesn't start this year then that's fine. If he takes over as starter in 2020 and stays there as a quality starter for years then it will be a great pick. 2019 will not determine the fate of this pick.

5 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Very very very very very very very very few offensive linemen are qualified to start as rookies in the NFL. If you're starting rookies on the offensive line you're usually not a very good team. Offensive line is the hardest position in football to make the jump from college to the NFL and it's even harder now than it used to be because of offensive linemen not getting proper teaching in college anymore. If McGary doesn't start this year then that's fine. If he takes over as starter in 2020 and stays there as a quality starter for years then it will be a great pick. 2019 will not determine the fate of this pick.

Almost all first round OL picks  start in nfl. Sure there are speed bumps along the way but most of them start. In last 3 years, all first round tackles started at least  14 games in their rookie season. They missed some games with injuries. Isaiah Wyn was the only T who missed all season with injury.

20 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Almost all first round OL picks  start in nfl. Sure there are speed bumps along the way but most of them start. In last 3 years, all first round tackles started at least  14 games in their rookie season. They missed some games with injuries. Isaiah Wyn was the only T who missed all season with injury.

Ok, if he doesn't start then he's a bust. That's a great way of evaluating things.

3 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

What I liked most about this offseason is the FO said by God we are gonna fix the Oline. Yeah they paid heavy cap space and draft capital, but it finally looks like we can create some serious competition and come out of it with a decent starting OLine and better depth in September:

• LT - Bloodline, Wetzel
  • LG - Carpenter, Swipester
  • OC - Mack, Gettis
  • RG - Lindstrom, Brown
  • RT - Sombrero, McGary, Gono

We should be able to find nine or ten guys out of that group that can get us through the season in good shape. I'd feel better if we pick up a late camp center to back up Mack just in case. Maybe they can cross train a couple guys that can. Should be way better than our last two OLines. Especially with Kutty and Mularkey handling the run and pass game with two tights and full backs. For the draftniks that's five first rounders. Trenches baby. Add one or two more on the DLine and it would be an excellent offseason. Should have done this last year.

McScary and LinStorm