KCartledge85

Having a hard time feeling good about this draft

184 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, vel said:

 

The 2nd video is my concern (and it was never going to be a sack,).  Sure, it worked vs the PAC 12 edge rushers.  But elite DE’s will transition speed to power once the edge is won.  I just don’t know how he will do with that on a weekly basis.  Time will tell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Vel, he is upset about the 3rd round pick.  The rest of the OP is filler.

If we went Linstrom at 14, we all agreed the defense gets the next two picks.  I’d bet only 2-3 people thought otherwise when the trade up was announced.  

Gotta credit my man for calling it.  Where u at @FalconFanSince1970

I can't take credit for Lindstrom and McGary. Only that we'd go OL with our first two picks. I like the draft but don't love it. I think we reached at least 14 picks too high on Lindstrom and McGary, but that leap isn't huge enough to btch about. Still think we should have stayed put or traded down. Left one or two players out there. Maybe an LB and OC.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I can't take credit for Lindstrom and McGary. Only that we'd go OL with our first two picks. I like the draft but don't love it. I think we reached at least 14 picks too high on Lindstrom and McGary, but that leap isn't huge enough to btch about. Still think we should have stayed put or traded down. Left one or two players out there. Maybe an LB and OC.

I’ll ***** about the 3rd round pick until the day I die

FalconFanSince1970 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jamesmasen said:

Where you draft people doesn't matter.. how they perform does .. who cares where Grady, beasely, Freeman, Julio, Neal, etc etc etc we're drafted now all we care about is if they worked out.. just like Neal was a "reach" and he could be a HOF'er one day

hope neal improves those hands :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

@FalconFanSince1970 not only was it slightly overdrafting, but paying heavily for the right to do so

Agreed but it's still a decent draft overall. On paper. Even if it was needs based. I would have stayed put or traded down and gone BPA throughout. I think we could have gotten a little more quantity and quality. Not bad though. Especially if we plug up the last few holes in the second wave of free agency. 

FalconsIn2012 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Agreed but it's still a decent draft overall. On paper. Even if it was needs based. I would have stayed put or traded down and gone BPA throughout. I think we could have gotten a little more quantity and quality. Not bad though. Especially if we plug up the last few holes in the second wave of free agency. 

I agree...just think stay put in the 2nd and do defense in the 2nd & 3rd.  That gets us closer to a title next year.  No way 2 rookies start on the right side

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nomak said:

Once you see holes as wide as freight trucks for Free to run through and see Matt having enough time to fold laundry behind "The Wall" you'll come around.

You’re completely right. I want it to work out. It’s just hard to see right now. So much of the FA signings were OL, it’s just hard to make sense of it. 

We didn’t pay Sambrailo, Carpenter or Brown backup money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

To be fair, his primary point of contention was wasting a top-100 Pick to move back into the 1st round for another lineman who may or may not beat out Ty.  Double dipping on OL and sacrificing our 3rd to do so was odd...especially considering FA

 I have the same issue but I’ve accepted it now.  

Thanks for picking up “the point”. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

The 2nd video is my concern (and it was never going to be a sack,).  Sure, it worked vs the PAC 12 edge rushers.  But elite DE’s will transition speed to power once the edge is won.  I just don’t know how he will do with that on a weekly basis.  Time will tell

Better than Ryan Schraeder and the trash we had after Clabo left. He will take his lumps, but will anchor the line for few years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, KCartledge85 said:

You’re completely right. I want it to work out. It’s just hard to see right now. So much of the FA signings were OL, it’s just hard to make sense of it. 

We didn’t pay Sambrailo, Carpenter or Brown backup money.

We didn’t pay them quality starter money either. But DQ said end of the year. 

He wanted 3 new starters. He was not happy with the depth. So they aid more money for a back up but not like too much. 

FalconsIn2012 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

And I can’t believe how many fans misconstrue healthy debate for whining.

Why are different POV’s so terrifying?

Have you watched the news lately?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, vel said:

It's always a gamble. Haven't had it in two months. Last time I had it, I was throwing up and shltting something VICIOUS! Lol 

Omg. And you would chance that again? You are a brave soul and true American  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, falcons007 said:

Better than Ryan Schraeder and the trash we had after Clabo left. He will take his lumps, but will anchor the line for few years. 

True.  Ty was pretty good last year, though.  Most of our problems were from the RG being overmatched.

I suspect Ty starts next year with Lindstrom next to him.  We will see McGary in Fant packages where he lines up wide next to Ty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Falconsin2012 said:

True.  Ty was pretty good last year, though.  Most of our problems were from the RG being overmatched.

I suspect Ty starts next year with Lindstrom next to him.  We will see McGary in Fant packages where he lines up wide next to Ty.

I highly doubt Ty will start. Ty can be swing tackle backing up bothbMathews and McGary. McGary will most likely start unless he just can’t grasp the scheme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, vel said:

"May or may not beat out Ty" is somebody else's feelings towards the pick. That's my point. You have a valid point in your reservation towards Ty because it's based on what you see and the opinion you've formulated on your own. I don't really care for people using other people's opinions to feel a type of way about the pick. How do you determine they "wasted" a top 100 pick without a single snap being played? 

Go find me a single opinion that says Lindstrom is a sure fire Pro-Bowler. I can post 100s of snaps where he gets beaten. At #14, I don’t see the value in picking a guard with that much negative tape.

Plenty of game tale and Sr. Bowl tape of him being big. Plenty of tape of him playing well. For a Guard at #14, I would expect more. That’s all.

Didnt mean to get in your feels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

We didn’t pay them quality starter money either. But DQ said end of the year. 

 

They are the 20th and 30th highest paid OG in the NFL.  Certainly not backup money

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

I highly doubt Ty will start. Ty can be swing tackle backing up bothbMathews and McGary. McGary will most likely start unless he just can’t grasp the scheme.

You could be right.  He just has a bunch of hurdles to overcome.  Scheme, footwork and technique.  

@Unintentional Grounding Mentioned how unique the UW line technique and coaching is.  Thinks that will be a big transition his 1st year.  If RG is strong, Ty is capable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

He isn’t trashing the pick, just the cost of the pick.

Yeah, he's trashing the pick as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not saying he isn't but him and LJ Collier were giving Bradbury and others fits

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

They are the 20th and 30th highest paid OG in the NFL.  Certainly not backup money

There are drafted players/ starters who make less than that and skew the numbers. If you are 20-30 in FA, it’s not big money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now