KCartledge85

Having a hard time feeling good about this draft

184 posts in this topic

44 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Not a single team traded up again until pick 21 and that was for Darnell savage who would have been a massive reach at 14.

If you're a team behind us who are you trading up for and why? 

You can't just say we should have traded down..... Somebody else needs a reason to trade up. 

This is true, and I also know no one traded up after us. TD also was quoted as saying they considered going back, but decided to stay.

43 minutes ago, vel said:

Stop using other people's opinions to dictate your own. First and foremost. If that's what you want, you must have hated the 2016 draft. 

We literally just added big time protection to the OL to protect the most important piece to this entire franchise. Whether you like the specific players or not, it should feel good that they at least are trying to protect Matt Ryan. 

To be fair, his primary point of contention was wasting a top-100 Pick to move back into the 1st round for another lineman who may or may not beat out Ty.  Double dipping on OL and sacrificing our 3rd to do so was odd...especially considering FA

I have the same issue but I’ve accepted it now.  

5 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Hooper took years to become pro bowler. Meanwhile, IR for Matt Ryan was looking a possibility with all the hits and turnstile offensive line. I am glad finally TD realized it’s no good if QB doesn’t have time to throw. This draft is very thin on defense and there was big run on OL for a reason,  early in draft once key Defensive players went off the board. 

Don't know how in the world you interpreted that post as criticism of the draft. I'm just saying that equating the 3rd rounder to Duke Riley is a strawman when you consider how other 3rd rounders have panned out, especially with how well this regime has drafted.

McGary has turned into one of my favorite draft picks tbh. Very glad they moved up for him.

FalconsIn2012 and falcons007 like this

2 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Don't know how in the world you interpreted that post as criticism of the draft. I'm just saying that equating the 3rd rounder to Duke Riley is a strawman when you consider how other 3rd rounders have panned out, especially with how well this regime has drafted.

McGary has turned into one of my favorite draft picks tbh. Very glad they drafted  him.

Fixed

All I can do is laugh at the way that some of this fan base whining about the draft.  Get over it!!! The picks are in now we just have to wait and see if they pan out.  How can people say our two first round picks are going to be bust?  They haven't even played one snap yet so how can you come to that conclusion? No team knows how any of these rookies are going work out including the ones that fans are upset we didn't draft.  Before y'all start passing judgment on them at least lets see how this season goes.  I trust DQ and TD way more than I ever trusted Mike Smith when it comes to drafting.  I guarantee the same fans that all up in arms about our draft picks will have a completely different attitude if we win 13 games and be the number one seed in the NFC.  They'll be praising DQ and TD then. 

1 hour ago, jamesmasen said:

Where you draft people doesn't matter.. how they perform does .. who cares where Grady, beasely, Freeman, Julio, Neal, etc etc etc we're drafted now all we care about is if they worked out.. just like Neal was a "reach" and he could be a HOF'er one day

This x a billion all *******  day. 

5 minutes ago, realhomie81 said:

All I can do is laugh at the way that some of this fan base whining about the draft.  Get over it!!! The picks are in now we just have to wait and see if they pan out.  How can people say our two first round picks are going to be bust?  They haven't even played one snap yet so how can you come to that conclusion? No team knows how any of these rookies are going work out including the ones that fans are upset we didn't draft.  Before y'all start passing judgment on them at least lets see how this season goes.  I trust DQ and TD way more than I ever trusted Mike Smith when it comes to drafting.  I guarantee the same fans that all up in arms about our draft picks will have a completely different attitude if we win 13 games and be the number one seed in the NFC.  They'll be praising DQ and TD then. 

And I can’t believe how many fans misconstrue healthy debate for whining.

Why are different POV’s so terrifying?

44 minutes ago, vel said:

It's always a gamble. Haven't had it in two months. Last time I had it, I was throwing up and shltting something VICIOUS! Lol 

and you had it again?!?  WTF!  You must really love that ****.

vel likes this

Did we lose the Super Bowl this past weekend?

The draft is important but the true impact of it may not be know for years and is not something you win or lose immediately. 

Teams can have popular drafts but still follow with losing seasons and teams can have winning seasons without highly-praised drafts before the season.

3 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

And I can’t believe how many fans misconstrue healthy debating for whining.

Finding one negative review and trashing a draft pick isn't healthy debate.

Schwarzwald and vel like this

12 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

To be fair, his primary point of contention was wasting a top-100 Pick to move back into the 1st round for another lineman who may or may not beat out Ty.

I have the same issue but I’ve accepted it now.  

"May or may not beat out Ty" is somebody else's feelings towards the pick. That's my point. You have a valid point in your reservation towards Ty because it's based on what you see and the opinion you've formulated on your own. I don't really care for people using other people's opinions to feel a type of way about the pick. How do you determine they "wasted" a top 100 pick without a single snap being played? 

1 hour ago, KCartledge85 said:

So I have been thinking about how the 1st round turned out ever since last Thursday night. Coming into the draft, I figured there was no way trader Thomas wouldn't make a splash. With the way the Falcons were signing veterans just before draft day, all signs pointed to TD using the draft capital of 9 selection to create impact. 

It's been reported that TD tried to move to #10. I tend to think this was for Jonah Williams and not Wilkins, but we may never know. The entire offseason has been about protecting Matt Ryan, so it just seems logical. Unable to move up from #14, ill be honest, im not sure anyone was left the fan base would be happy with. Montez Sweat was probably the only player available "experts" could have viewed as a "value". The guy has off the field and medical issues. I wouldn't be shocked if he wasn't off TD's board all together. With that said, moving BACK was the obvious play here. For months everyone was talking about how much value was in the top 3 rounds of the 2019 draft. Move out of no value spot, get more draft capital, seems like an easy decision. TD was already quoted saying they discussed moving back, but ultimately decided to make a selection. When they announced Lindstrom, I wasn't mad, I just didn't see ANY value in the pick. You're drafting the #14 overall pick and the first guard in the entire draft. That player is suppose to be a DOMINATING PLAYER. Everything you read about Lindstrom suggests he should be a "solid pro". He "doesn't do anything great, but also doesn't have a major weakness". It is so underwhelming.

Here is where it gets UGLY for me ....

Pre-Draft Analysis

McGary is a tall, well-built right tackle prospect with short arms, especially for his height. He is a very good run-blocker who gets into position and moves defenders off the ball when he keeps his pads down. He has a quick set and a lot of shock in his hands, but he lunges at times, and his arm length is a concern.

Post-Draft Analysis

Atlanta isn't messing around when it comes to protecting quarterback Matt Ryan. They trade back into Round 1 here to further bolster a run offense that ranked 25th in rushing yards per game last season. McGary has the skill set to push Ty Sambrailo for the starting job at right tackle as a rookie. -- Steve Muench

Folks ..... We gave up our 2nd and 3rd round pick for someone that "has the skill set to push Ty Sambrailo for the starting job". If I am giving up extra picks in the top 3 rounds, the guy WITHOUT A DOUBT is better than Ty Sambrilo. How in the earth do we move back into the 1st round for this guy? You have Taylor, Ford, Risner and Little all available to you for less draft capital in early round 2. 

This draft literally could have been Andre Dillard, Greedy Williams and Jaylon Ferguson.

I'm not ready to move on from TD and DQ, but if we don't have a dominate offensive line or continue to have a TERRIBLE pass rush in 2019, sign me up. 

Once you see holes as wide as freight trucks for Free to run through and see Matt having enough time to fold laundry behind "The Wall" you'll come around.

falconidae likes this

People get so enamored with draft picks and draft positions.  At the end of the day what matters is how well the draftees perform.  Go back and review the past draft.  NFL scouts, pundits, and analyst are the wrong 60%-70% of the time.  

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, vel said:

Stop using other people's opinions to dictate your own. First and foremost. If that's what you want, you must have hated the 2016 draft. 

We literally just added big time protection to the OL to protect the most important piece to this entire franchise. Whether you like the specific players or not, it should feel good that they at least are trying to protect Matt Ryan. 

Potentially. 

Though I initially felt we reached on Lindstrom, I realized that the mocks have no bearing on how NFL GM's view players and where they truly project to go. I also recognize he has all the skill and traits to be a corner-stone OL. I think there is a high likelihood that he will go on to be a 10 year starter at OG for us.

McGary, I'm not sold on yet. I like the demeanor and toughness, but you gotta know how to pass pro. He appears weak in that area. He can develop, but I cant confidently say that he will be our starting RT this year or even next. On top of that, I cant confidently say he will ever be a great RT. 

You right tho. I'm glad TD finally decided to do whatever it takes to build an OL we can count on. 

Edited by RubberDucky

Just now, Falconsin2012 said:

And I can’t believe how many fans misconstrue debating for whining.

They aren't terrifying, **** I welcome them.  Let's be honest there are some, not all, fans that are whining.  They aren't debating anything.  They just so upset because we didn't draft the player that they wanted.  I won't lie I was shocked that we went offense in the first round but I trust DQ and TD.  Example, you and I are having a debate about whether fans are whining or not.  Some fans are so upset they calling for TD and DQ's jobs and saying that our picks are going to be bust.  Those are ones that in my opinion seem to be the ones whining.  Some don't agree with the draft but they're at least will the see what happens before than pass judgment.

vel and FalconsIn2012 like this

"This draft literally could have been Andre Dillard, Greedy Williams and Jaylon Ferguson"  - If you think those 3 guys will provide better value than Lindstrom and McGary then I understand your point.  I disagree.  We will see.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

16 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Finding one negative review and trashing a draft pick isn't healthy debate.

He isn’t trashing the pick, just the cost of the pick.

29 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

McGary has turned into one of my favorite draft picks tbh. Very glad they moved up for him.

I wasn’t interpreting that way, the reason I mentioned Duke Riley is Falcons probably would have gone Defense in 3rd round. With a thin draft this year, it’s more possible to land a Duke Riley. I didn’t even care to do mock draft this year, very underwhelming. I wish they did more in FA on defense. At this point it is what it is.

Francis York Morgan likes this

11 minutes ago, realhomie81 said:

They aren't terrifying, **** I welcome them.  Let's be honest there are some, not all, fans that are whining.  They aren't debating anything.  They just so upset because we didn't draft the player that they wanted.  I won't lie I was shocked that we went offense in the first round but I trust DQ and TD.  Example, you and I are having a debate about whether fans are whining or not.  Some fans are so upset they calling for TD and DQ's jobs and saying that our picks are going to be bust.  Those are ones that in my opinion seem to be the ones whining.  Some don't agree with the draft but they're at least will the see what happens before than pass judgment.

True points.  

I get tired of seeing all the piling on when a person presents an opinion that isn’t popular.  He presented logic and analysis.  Disagree, that’s fine.  But let’s be civil.  

Not directing this at you, either 

1 minute ago, Falconsin2012 said:

He isn’t trashing the pick, just the cost of the pick.

Which he doesn’t know, heck no one media knows. NFL teams value picks differently than outsiders. I would have been pissed if they gave up 1st or second round picks from next year like Aints did in 2018 to trade up.

8 minutes ago, gtech1 said:

"This draft literally could have been Andre Dillard, Greedy Williams and Jaylon Ferguson"  - If you think those 3 guys will provide better value than Lindstrom and McGary then I understand your point.  I disagree.  We will see.

This is how you disagree.  Well done

Just now, falcons007 said:

Which he doesn’t know, heck no one media knows. NFL teams value picks differently than outsiders. I would have been pissed if they gave up 1st or second round picks from next year like Aints did in 2018 to trade up.

But it’s a valid area of contention.  Disagree and move on

gtech1 and Francis York Morgan like this

Just now, Falconsin2012 said:

But it’s a valid area of contention.  Disagree and move on

If you know the value. Sure. Or make a case with players who could have been there in 3rd round. This over drafting is recent media creation.