KCartledge85

Having a hard time feeling good about this draft

184 posts in this topic

So I have been thinking about how the 1st round turned out ever since last Thursday night. Coming into the draft, I figured there was no way trader Thomas wouldn't make a splash. With the way the Falcons were signing veterans just before draft day, all signs pointed to TD using the draft capital of 9 selection to create impact. 

It's been reported that TD tried to move to #10. I tend to think this was for Jonah Williams and not Wilkins, but we may never know. The entire offseason has been about protecting Matt Ryan, so it just seems logical. Unable to move up from #14, ill be honest, im not sure anyone was left the fan base would be happy with. Montez Sweat was probably the only player available "experts" could have viewed as a "value". The guy has off the field and medical issues. I wouldn't be shocked if he wasn't off TD's board all together. With that said, moving BACK was the obvious play here. For months everyone was talking about how much value was in the top 3 rounds of the 2019 draft. Move out of no value spot, get more draft capital, seems like an easy decision. TD was already quoted saying they discussed moving back, but ultimately decided to make a selection. When they announced Lindstrom, I wasn't mad, I just didn't see ANY value in the pick. You're drafting the #14 overall pick and the first guard in the entire draft. That player is suppose to be a DOMINATING PLAYER. Everything you read about Lindstrom suggests he should be a "solid pro". He "doesn't do anything great, but also doesn't have a major weakness". It is so underwhelming.

Here is where it gets UGLY for me ....

Pre-Draft Analysis

McGary is a tall, well-built right tackle prospect with short arms, especially for his height. He is a very good run-blocker who gets into position and moves defenders off the ball when he keeps his pads down. He has a quick set and a lot of shock in his hands, but he lunges at times, and his arm length is a concern.

Post-Draft Analysis

Atlanta isn't messing around when it comes to protecting quarterback Matt Ryan. They trade back into Round 1 here to further bolster a run offense that ranked 25th in rushing yards per game last season. McGary has the skill set to push Ty Sambrailo for the starting job at right tackle as a rookie. -- Steve Muench

Folks ..... We gave up our 2nd and 3rd round pick for someone that "has the skill set to push Ty Sambrailo for the starting job". If I am giving up extra picks in the top 3 rounds, the guy WITHOUT A DOUBT is better than Ty Sambrilo. How in the earth do we move back into the 1st round for this guy? You have Taylor, Ford, Risner and Little all available to you for less draft capital in early round 2. 

This draft literally could have been Andre Dillard, Greedy Williams and Jaylon Ferguson.

I'm not ready to move on from TD and DQ, but if we don't have a dominate offensive line or continue to have a TERRIBLE pass rush in 2019, sign me up. 

Where you draft people doesn't matter.. how they perform does .. who cares where Grady, beasely, Freeman, Julio, Neal, etc etc etc we're drafted now all we care about is if they worked out.. just like Neal was a "reach" and he could be a HOF'er one day

BB went WR in round 1. He never picks a WR round 1 yet he took one over Ford and Taylor. If they aren't good enough for BB then I'm glad they aren't Falcons. It's not like the Falcons were the only team that passed on them. Alot of teams did. 

Geneaut, Osiruz, NeonDeion and 3 others like this

Not a single team traded up again until pick 21 and that was for Darnell savage who would have been a massive reach at 14.

If you're a team behind us who are you trading up for and why? 

You can't just say we should have traded down..... Somebody else needs a reason to trade up. 

Ford never played in a zbs and doesn't even fit our scheme. Taylor and little are overrated. We made the right choices. Funny how pre draft when Ryan gets mauled for 42 sacks and our Oline malfunctions in run blocking everyone is screaming "DRAFT SOME OLINEMEN," yet when it comes time to do it everyone gets upset at TD lol. 

Posted (edited)

35 minutes ago, KCartledge85 said:

Here is where it gets UGLY for me ....

5 days later and countless threads on the same topic and this is your take for starting a new one? Smh.  

I'm having grilled snapper, sweet potato fries, and roasted brussel sprouts for dinner.  What about you guys?

Edited by AlabamaFalconFan

Stop using other people's opinions to dictate your own. First and foremost. If that's what you want, you must have hated the 2016 draft. 

We literally just added big time protection to the OL to protect the most important piece to this entire franchise. Whether you like the specific players or not, it should feel good that they at least are trying to protect Matt Ryan. 

Just now, AlabamaFalconFan said:

5 days later and countless threads on the same topic and this is your take for starting a new one? Smh.  

I'm having grilled snapper, sweet potato fries, and roasted brussel sprouts for dinner.  What about you guys?

Just had some Chipotle for lunch. Hope it doesn't give me the shlts. 

Just now, vel said:

Just had some Chipotle for lunch. Hope it doesn't give me the shlts. 

Chipotle has some amazing tasting food, but I am honestly scared to eat there anymore... good luck lol.

Scott1988 likes this

Don't feel bad about the draft.  It looks like we will have a strong and promising Right OL.  It will be fun to watch us convert 3rd-and-short...over and over again.  Opposing defenses will become exhausted and our offensive play makers will feast.

On the defensive side of the ball, we will have more depth along the DL and the entire defense will be more rested than they have been for years. 

Sure, we all would like to have a dominating defense to pair with what looks like a very good offense.  The defense will not be dominating but it will be good.  And for now, that constitutes a significant improvement.

octoslash and ATLskinjob like this

6 minutes ago, AlabamaFalconFan said:

Chipotle has some amazing tasting food, but I am honestly scared to eat there anymore... good luck lol.

It's always a gamble. Haven't had it in two months. Last time I had it, I was throwing up and shltting something VICIOUS! Lol 

Lol the so called experts said Falcons had worst draft in 2016. Neal was over drafted, Debo was too small blah blah. 

I actually feel better that every one is giving falcons draft D grade.

in 2017, many were against Tak and wanted Reuben Foster. 

NeonDeion, Drew4719, JDaveG and 3 others like this

11 minutes ago, AlabamaFalconFan said:

I love grilled snapper freshly caught out of the Gulf. So good. 

AlabamaFalconFan likes this

15 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Not a single team traded up again until pick 21 and that was for Darnell savage who would have been a massive reach at 14.

If you're a team behind us who are you trading up for and why? 

You can't just say we should have traded down..... Somebody else needs a reason to trade up. 

Tbh, I bet there were teams that wanted Haskins. It was obvious the Skins would take him at 15. But we might have had to trade back behind the Vikes...I think that's the real issue. TD may have received offers (it sounds like they did in the post draft discussion) but nothing that would make up the value lost with not drafting Lindstrom.

2 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

This, essentially a Duke Riley.

Or a Pro Bowler like Austin Hooper, if we're being fair. Don't see anyone we missed out on that I think would be on that level - Justin Layne and Khalen Saunders are good but idk about that - so I'm fine with it.

GATXBOI and Ergo Proxy like this

29 minutes ago, AlabamaFalconFan said:

Shrimp, mussels, and cod in yellow coconut curry sauce with jasmine rice on the side.  

AlabamaFalconFan and citsalp like this

A bad Oline in football is like a bad bullpen in baseball. No matter how well you play otherwise, they always seem to keep you from winning. 

Can't win with a bad Oline, never have and never will. No use in having big money QB, WR and RB without that extra half second of protection or that well timed combo block. 

This draft is exactly what was needed even though it might not have gone as they planned.

19 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Or a Pro Bowler like Austin Hooper, if we're being fair. Don't see anyone we missed out on that I think would be on that level - Justin Layne and Khalen Saunders are good but idk about that - so I'm fine with it.

Hooper took years to become pro bowler. Meanwhile, IR for Matt Ryan was looking a possibility with all the hits and turnstile offensive line. I am glad finally TD realized it’s no good if QB doesn’t have time to throw. This draft is very thin on defense and there was big run on OL for a reason,  early in draft once key Defensive players went off the board. 

Osiruz likes this