Will the Falcons go back to Tempo on Offense?

*TMo*

I'm sure we will, but we won't do it too much.  The reason is you don't want to risk 3 and out on a short clock.  Tempo should be used to stress the defense by making them play faster and creating mismatches when you keep them on the field because they lack time to substitute.  Just doing it for the sake of it is counter-productive for a lot of reasons.

Frankly, I expect to see more of it early, and then a lot more ball control late.  If we do it in the 2nd half it will be because we're behind or feeling like we need another score to win.  Otherwise, I'd expect a short passing game/heavy run combo in the 2nd half of most games.  Certainly in the 4th quarter.  

This team likes to front run.  That works very well, but it requires you to be able to rest your defense late and burn clock.  Both of those are inconsistent with a heavy dose of up-tempo no huddle late in the game.

42 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

No-huddle doesn't have to be up-tempo. I could definitely see us mixing our tempo a bit more under Koetter and throwing in no-huddle every once in a while to get the match-ups we want.

This.  Matt Ryan seems to thrive in a no-huddle situation, and doesn't have to be up tempo.

Having Koetter back IMO allows him to be able to control his style of offense and be able to change in and out of plays and tempo based on what he sees and what personnel is on the field.  We might just see the SB this year due to everyone being on the same page unlike in years past, and making the correct calls necessary with games on the line.  We all know MR can put up the numbers even with a terrible O line, but given the time to pick apart defenses and with THIS group of skill players....this could be the best year EVER in ATL history!

2 hours ago, *TMo* said:

When Dirk Koetter was here before he put a lot of trust in Matt Ryan calling plays at the line of scrimmage and would go Tempo for the first couple of drives of the games. It was right up Matt's alley. I sure hope we do it again.

Expect a down year in offense this year. Julio and Matt were in Dirks system but no one else was. Brand new Oline, new offense. Hooper already talking about having to learn steps based system verse yards based system. Mistakes and learning will be the normal for 2019.

3 hours ago, JDaveG said:

I'm sure we will, but we won't do it too much.  The reason is you don't want to risk 3 and out on a short clock.  Tempo should be used to stress the defense by making them play faster and creating mismatches when you keep them on the field because they lack time to substitute.  Just doing it for the sake of it is counter-productive for a lot of reasons.

Frankly, I expect to see more of it early, and then a lot more ball control late.  If we do it in the 2nd half it will be because we're behind or feeling like we need another score to win.  Otherwise, I'd expect a short passing game/heavy run combo in the 2nd half of most games.  Certainly in the 4th quarter.  

This team likes to front run.  That works very well, but it requires you to be able to rest your defense late and burn clock.  Both of those are inconsistent with a heavy dose of up-tempo no huddle late in the game.

The other key for keeping the D rested is for the D to get off the field on 3rd down.

I'm hoping to see a lot more aggressive 3rd down play calling on coverages and blitzes/movements.  Make the QB throw a perfect 15 yard over the shoulder pass under duress, instead of giving him an easy uncontested 5 yard first down pass.

Aside from OL cohesion, 3rd down D will be the key to this year.

I'm reserving comment on what will happen until we see who actually makes it on to the field. It's a tough schedule and those other guys get paid too. That's the great thing about this league, lose a few guys and you go from first to worst. Add a few and you can go from worst to first but you still have to play'em and it's an oblong ball that bounces in funny ways sometimes.

I'm just hoping DQ won't baby them in the preseason and they can be ready to roll at game 1.

TATF, c’mon let’s get something straight. It was under Mularkey as the OC that the offense utilized a lot of no-huddle. It was NOT under Koetter as OC. Koetter barely ever used no-huddle. I just wanted to mention that because it’s often confused here.

As far as the Falcons offense. This offense will now be able to slow ball control tote the rock on the ground effectively AND also be able to slaughter a defense through the air. Slow temp, up-tempo, no-huddle, heavy dose of playaction. You name it. This offense will be able to dismantle a defense however it chooses. 

I’m not worried about the players learning DK’s offense. No steep learning curve like Shanahan’s west coast and Year 1 woes with him. No drop in offense this year. If anything, this offense is taking a step forward. 

16 hours ago, CTann said:

TATF, c’mon let’s get something straight. It was under Mularkey as the OC that the offense utilized a lot of no-huddle. It was NOT under Koetter as OC. Koetter barely ever used no-huddle. I just wanted to mention that because it’s often confused here.

As far as the Falcons offense. This offense will now be able to slow ball control tote the rock on the ground effectively AND also be able to slaughter a defense through the air. Slow temp, up-tempo, no-huddle, heavy dose of playaction. You name it. This offense will be able to dismantle a defense however it chooses. 

I’m not worried about the players learning DK’s offense. No steep learning curve like Shanahan’s west coast and Year 1 woes with him. No drop in offense this year. If anything, this offense is taking a step forward. 

I'm old and often can't remember stuff. Is CTann right here? He may be, I just thought it was Koetter. Also, we have Mularkey on the staff now as well.

4 minutes ago, *TMo* said:

I'm old and often can't remember stuff. Is CTann right here? He may be, I just thought it was Koetter. Also, we have Mularkey on the staff now as well.

Promise ya. ;)

And yep! With Mularkey on staff, I believe we’ll see more no-huddle than DK’s first stint. What excites me the most is that TWO former coordinators who are familiar with MR2 are back. They’ve also seen the work of Shanahan on MR2 in addition to both of their own previous experiences. MR2 is an improved and more mature player from when DK and MM were here. I’d also say that DK is a more experienced coach now; bringing HC experience with him. 

I’d like to believe that all of these various higher refined ingredients blend together to unleash the most dominant MR2 and Falcons offense to date. 

Would love to see more no Huddle. The Texas package we used to have used to be so, so good back in the day.

And like someone said, no huddle doesn't have to be up tempo. Is the defence is on the field with bad personel? Go no huddle and lock them in.