5 things to know about Falcons’ first-round pick Kaleb McGary

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/5-things-to-know-about-falcons-first-round-pick-kaleb-mcgary

5 things to know about Falcons’ first-round pick Kaleb McGary

McGary is a player the Falcons zeroed in on in the final weeks leading up to the draft and they knew if they didn’t go up to get him, he wouldn’t be around by the time they made their next pick in the second round.

McGary brings the type of toughness the Falcons want from their offensive linemen. And he can move extremely well for a 6-foot-7, 317-pound right tackle.

Here are five things to know about McGary:

1.   He’s an absolute beast in the weight room 

Did you say 610 pounds? No problem for McGary to squat. I wouldn’t want to challenge him in the weight room, or the football field, to be honest.

2. He’s your guy… if you’re into archery

In McGary’s spare time, the sport of archery is his hobby. So, if you’re looking for McGary on an off day, there’s a very good chance he could be shooting arrows outside somewhere.

3. He’s no stranger to Mercedes-Benz Stadium

McGary has already stepped foot onto the turf at at Mercedes-Benz Stadium when Washington played Alabama in the Peach Bowl back in 2016. The Huskies fell to the Crimson Tide, 24-7. Here’s hoping McGary gets a different result the next time he takes the field at his new homefield.

*4. He’s a serious hunter

McGary is about as country as they come. When he boarded the plane to head to Atlanta after being drafted, he had his cowboy hat in tow. The day before the draft, McGary went turkey hunting as a way to clear his mind. In fact, he was sharpening his ax on the couch when the draft began.

5. He calls his life a country song

When McGary was in high school, his family lost the farm they lived on during the economic recession. The McGary family moved into an RV and a few years later, a fire started in the RV and the McGary’s lost part of their second home. To this day, they are without full electricity in their home. All the while, during McGary’s junior year of high school, an arrhythmia was found in his heart. He’s had three medical procedures since and has never backed down. And on April 25th when the Falcons traded back into the first round to select McGary, it was a dream come true.

Edited by V-Town Falcon
photos wouldn't show before

I just want the season to start. I think im tired of the articles as well as the build up to the draft. Just a restless falcons fan i suppose.

In all honesty do yall care about their personal lives? I just want to win.

I know in this day in age with social media though you can't really avoid it.

Sorry for complaining. 

McGary is one of those dip chewing white boys that you just hate going against. And that's a compliment for anybody who would take offense to that comment. He's one of those guys who will just annoy you, irritate you, take every punch you throw back at him with a laugh, lay on you. Just demoralize you. I hated playing those guys because of this. I love that we have these guys on this team now.

I just can't imagine, if Brown wins the RG spot, a fourth quarter with a 10 point lead and the Falcons running right for 4-5 minutes behind Mack, Brown, McGary, and Stocker with Ollison toting the rock. That's what this pick was for. 

21 minutes ago, vel said:

McGary is one of those dip chewing white boys that you just hate going against. And that's a compliment for anybody who would take offense to that comment. He's one of those guys who will just annoy you, irritate you, take every punch you throw back at him with a laugh, lay on you. Just demoralize you. I hated playing those guys because of this. I love that we have these guys on this team now.

I just can't imagine, if Brown wins the RG spot, a fourth quarter with a 10 point lead and the Falcons running right for 4-5 minutes behind Mack, Brown, McGary, and Stocker with Ollison toting the rock. That's what this pick was for. 

I'm white and I dip. Like McGary, I am also an absolute monster.

Not srs. But he does seem like that type that just doesn't give af. I'm down with that. 

2 minutes ago, Tim Mazetti said:

He use to cut me in my bar  Really? IDK What is that?

Good to know.The AJC and sports talk radio gave me the opposite back in the day..

Haha, spell check!

Btw.....if I ever text you and the word “duck” is in the text, just know I never use the word duck when I text!

54 minutes ago, Tim Mazetti said:

He use to cut me in my bar  Really? IDK What is that?

Good to know.The AJC and sports talk radio gave me the opposite back in the day..

chase tatum

This was one of my bouncers, Chase Tatum. 6’6’, 285lbs of pure muscle He became a pro wrestler.

I saw some punk *** hit him over the head with a beer bottle when Chase was kicking his friend out, and Chase picked him up and threw him about 10 feet in the air. Dude laid on the ground quivering after that!

20 hours ago, red falcon said:

I just want the season to start. I think im tired of the articles as well as the build up to the draft. Just a restless falcons fan i suppose.

In all honesty do yall care about their personal lives? I just want to win.

I know in this day in age with social media though you can't really avoid it.

Sorry for complaining. 

I hear ya but this team especially the rookies and the ones coming back from injury, but really the whole team needs this time to get ready for new OC DC and the long season ahead. Falcons can be great but need the the prep work put in 

His arm length was measured as 33 5/8 at the senior bowl, which is much closer to ideal. Not sure how he lost almost an inch between the senior bowl and combine, but doesn't appear to lose out because of his length on tape.