g-dawg

Falcoholic/Peter King: Falcons Tried to Trade Up to #10 but were outbid

99 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, red falcon said:

I like the staff man but i dont trust what they day at times.

Yeah I don't know if either version of events is the correct version but I do know that reporters get fed false information during the draft all the time to play teams against each other. I think TDs version is just as plausible as Peter Kings. Like I stated earlier, its just a matter of who do you want to believe.

Ergo Proxy and rounz like this

6 minutes ago, Bobby.Digital said:

I think the move up was for Gary. He fits the elite athletic profile we covet and has the versatility and "get off" DQ looks for in dlineman. We met with him at the combine and I think we worked him out although I'm not 100%.

NSFW

4 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

It felt like we were caught off guard a bit. The post 1st round interview with TD when he was asked a question about 'knowing who he was going to take' and if that person was Lindstrom, TD replied yes straight away but DQ's grin suggested otherwise. I still feel like Oliver or Wilkins was the target going in, but happy to have Lindstrom. He's one of those safe, un-sexy picks that plays 10 years in the NFL and starts day 1.

Listen to it again, I happened to look away when he answered but TD said "yes" and threw a subtle and sarcastic "of course" on the end of it. 

Also, I would not be shocked if that was looking at Jonah Williams. I believe once Devin White and Hockenson were off the board Elway probably got an offer from the Steelers and made calls to see if anyone wanted to match or beat and didn't. 

We'll never know of course. 

36 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Had to have been for Christian Wilkins as that was the rumor all day from Rappoport.

Maybe they had tentative deal in place and then Pittsburgh pushed all the way in with their 2nd and 3rd plus the 2020 pick.

Sounds like Christian Wilkins was #1 but Lindstrom a close #1A.

Had Wilkins fell to us,  we probably end up with him and McGary and then a guard later in the draft as I don’t think Lindstrom would have fallen into range.

I'm not quite sure if it was for Wilkins this is why:

Unless it wasn't reported, why did they not attempt to trade up at pick 11,12, or 13. The Dolphins are playing for next year and was willing to take picks based on draft.

I think it was for Devin Bush honestly.  

The Bayy and Ergo Proxy like this

So did the rumor that the Falcons were interested in Bush cause Pittsburgh to feel the necessity to get into a bidding war for the #10 pick thus causing the Falcons to lose a shot at Wilkins? Rumors are dangerous things, you never know if they'll help you or hurt you in the end. That's why it's best to never start one.

It was always my take that Wilkins was the target and they knew he wouldn't fall to #14. They had it figured right. They never intended to go with Lindstrom as plan 'A' and that's why they did what they did in free agency. McGary was the target for the trade up early on in the process so they got their man there. In the long run, I think things will work out well for them.

Circumstances required them to go with a possible pro bowl, all pro, or even HOF'er at Guard that they wouldn't have gone with otherwise, how many times is that the story with guys that turn out great?

ATLskinjob likes this

13 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

It felt like we were caught off guard a bit. The post 1st round interview with TD when he was asked a question about 'knowing who he was going to take' and if that person was Lindstrom, TD replied yes straight away but DQ's grin suggested otherwise. I still feel like Oliver or Wilkins was the target going in, but happy to have Lindstrom. He's one of those safe, un-sexy picks that plays 10 years in the NFL and starts day 1.

If they wanted Wilkins they could've had him. Miami was collecting picks and playing for next year.

I think it was for Bush. The 10th spot was right in front of the Bengals who needed a LB after losing Burfict this offseason.

Losing Jones last season really hurt our defense. Having someone like Bush would have helped.

VTCrunkler and duckhoa like this

7 minutes ago, Cole World said:

If they wanted Wilkins they could've had him. Miami was collecting picks and playing for next year.

I think it was for Bush. The 10th spot was right in front of the Bengals who needed a LB after losing Burfict this offseason.

Losing Jones last season really hurt our defense. Having someone like Bush would have helped.

I think it was for Bush too, tbh. And I get it. Bush is going to be special in this league. Lindstrom is great too, no doubt, but I think Bush + Debo would have been the best linebacker tandem in the league.

Trading up to 10 doesn't make as much sense for other players. The Bengals were going to take Bush if Denver didn't. Jonah had to be their plan B.

Cole World and VTCrunkler like this

Posted (edited)

Guys, keep in mind that one of the tricks to throw other GMs off of the draft - during the actual draft - is to call for a trade up and offer peanuts with minutes to go.  They were a distant second, because they wanted to be a distant second.  For the next four picks afterwards, the GM rumor mill across the rest of the league was that we were going Defense.

Bait set.  Troff ‘d.

Edited by Maltese Falcon

33 minutes ago, birdz4i said:

i don't know. if we moved up for wilkins, i doubt we have mcgary since we moved up for him. 

Yeah you are probably right

28 minutes ago, FentayeJones said:

Yeah I don't know if either version of events is the correct version but I do know that reporters get fed false information during the draft all the time to play teams against each other. I think TDs version is just as plausible as Peter Kings. Like I stated earlier, its just a matter of who do you want to believe.

Peter King is a straight shooter and can usually snuff out noise.

Was King in the Denver war room this year? He is often embedded like he was with Falcons when we drafted Matt Ryan in 2008 and gave us all the scoop on that.

34 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

I see what u did there..,.

VTCrunkler and Smiler11 like this

4 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Peter King is a straight shooter and can usually snuff out noise.

Was King in the Denver war room this year? He is often embedded like he was with Falcons when we drafted Matt Ryan in 2008 and gave us all the scoop on that.

I saw him on PFT this morning. I think he was there but he said he wasn't in the war room.

g-dawg likes this

7 minutes ago, Maltese Falcon said:

Guys, keep in mind that one of the tricks to throw other GMs off of the draft - during the actual draft - is to call for a trade up and offer peanuts with minutes to go.  They were a distant second, because they wanted to be a distant second.  For the next four picks afterwards, the GM rumor mill across the rest of the league was that we were going Defense.

Bait set.  Troff ‘d.

This is a good point too.

Maltese Falcon likes this

11 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

I think it was for Bush too, tbh. And I get it. Bush is going to be special in this league. Lindstrom is great too, no doubt, but I think Bush + Debo would have been the best linebacker tandem in the league.

Trading up to 10 doesn't make as much sense for other players. The Bengals were going to take Bush if Denver didn't. Jonah had to be their plan B.

I read that the Broncos were willing to trade down because the front office was sold on Bush but Fangio wasn't. I don't know how true it is, but I'd trust Fangio's opinion on a linebacker over nearly anyone. 

g-dawg likes this

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

Wilkins

McGary

Sheffield

Comminsky

Gaillard

The Washington DB

Qadre Ellison(later)

not that different.   Sub Gaillard late for Lindstrom early

It would have cost picks this year and next year, like Pittsburgh gave up. If the rumor is true, I am glad TD didn’t trade up picks like PIT.

g-dawg likes this

I'm a bit bummed we didnt draft a single DT in this deep and talented class but I am happy the O-line got a lot of love. Quinn is really betting on himself to work his magic this season. 

ATLskinjob likes this

1 hour ago, R_The_Great said:

And the football gods finally blessed us and kept us from drafting a defensive tackle.  Who exactly were we relying on to protect Matt Ryan again?  Ty Sambrilo, Jamon Brown?  Yeah we needed someone to come in and take that spot. 

Exactly!

2 minutes ago, Romfal said:

I'm a bit bummed we didnt draft a single DT in this deep and talented class but I am happy the O-line got a lot of love. Quinn is really betting on himself to work his magic this season. 

Quinn seemed to indicate they wanted Cominskey to “keep eating” to bulk up another 10-15 lbs to get to 295-300.

Quinn wants Cominskey to play inside.

citsalp, Geneaut and ATLskinjob like this

Just now, g-dawg said:

Quinn seemed to indicate they wanted Cominskey to “keep eating” to bulk up another 10-15 lbs to get to 295-300.

Quinn wants Cominskey to play inside.

makes sense. He doesn't strike me as the most refined pass rusher

15 minutes ago, Maltese Falcon said:

Bait set.  Troff ‘d.

Yeah, lots of gamesmanship happens during the draft.

Maltese Falcon likes this

56 minutes ago, FentayeJones said:

Didn't Dimitroff acknowledge in his press conference that teams in the top 10 called him to trade up but turned them down? So its just a question of who do you choose to believe. I suspect that most will choose to believe Peter King lol.

Well here we are talking about us contacting another team. Like if the #3 team called to see what was up, they probably turned them down due to cost of trade.

So yeah...both can be right.

1 hour ago, NWFALCON said:

You mean to tell me that trade ups aren’t automatic and that other teams bid for positions that we want? Next I bet you’ll say that not every free agent wants to come to Atlanta. 

No, this whole article is incorrect.  You simply decided you want to trade up or trade down and it magically happens.  That's why we can be so critical because it's just that simple!

NWFALCON likes this