g-dawg

Falcoholic/Peter King: Falcons Tried to Trade Up to #10 but were outbid

99 posts in this topic

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2019/4/29/18522439/falcons-tried-to-trade-up-to-10th-overall-pick-christian-wilkins-devin-bush

Rumors for months suggested the Falcons would trade up to try to nab defensive tackle Ed Oliver. That didn’t happen despite his unexpected fall but the Falcons did attempt trading up after Oliver was drafted. 

The perma-plugged-in Peter King had the play-by-play when the Denver Broncos went on the clock at 10th overall on Thursday night.

The Steelers got uncharacteristically aggressive by trading their 1st, 2nd, and 2020 3rd round picks to trade up for speedy linebacker Devin Bush. The Giants ended up drafting Dexter Lawrence at 17. 

Per King, the Falcons weren’t even in second place in bidding for pick 10. Assuming eventual 14th overall pick Chris Lindstrom was the team’s backup pick, Atlanta wanted to draft either Devin Bush, 11th overall pick Jonah Williams, 12th overall pick Rashan Gary, or 13th overall pick Christian Wilkins.

There were rumors days before the draft the Falcons were interested in Christian Wilkins, and a rumor, later called a smokescreen, the Falcons were trading up for Devin Bush. Williams was the top ranked offensive lineman and had experience at right tackle and guard. 

All three would make sense but my guess is Christian Wilkins. After missing out on the top two defensive tackles in the draft, Atlanta had a chance at the last elite(ish) prospect in Wilkins. A short trade up would make sense if the Falcons planned on a more balanced draft with one new starter on each line. 

The trade did not go through so the Falcons focused heavily on the offensive line. It is a little unconventional but it’s too early to know if it works out. With that said, assuming the prospect was either a defensive lineman or linebacker, look for the Falcons to continue looking at veterans and trade options.

Had to have been for Christian Wilkins as that was the rumor all day from Rappoport.

Maybe they had tentative deal in place and then Pittsburgh pushed all the way in with their 2nd and 3rd plus the 2020 pick.

Sounds like Christian Wilkins was #1 but Lindstrom a close #1A.

Had Wilkins fell to us,  we probably end up with him and McGary and then a guard later in the draft as I don’t think Lindstrom would have fallen into range.

And the football gods finally blessed us and kept us from drafting a defensive tackle.  Who exactly were we relying on to protect Matt Ryan again?  Ty Sambrilo, Jamon Brown?  Yeah we needed someone to come in and take that spot. 

4 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

If we moved up for Wilkins I wonder how different our draft looks.  

Wilkins

McGary

Sheffield

Comminsky

Gaillard

The Washington DB

Qadre Ellison(later)

not that different.   Sub Gaillard late for Lindstrom early

It's sad to see that we just missed out on a chance to get an elite defensive player on a year when talent is so stacked on the defensive side.

We won't know for sure until it plays out but wouldn't you want to give up just a bit more to land such a player?

1st, 2nd and 3rd?   or even less since we're moving up from #14

Jimsmusic™ and The Daywalker like this

13 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2019/4/29/18522439/falcons-tried-to-trade-up-to-10th-overall-pick-christian-wilkins-devin-bush

Rumors for months suggested the Falcons would trade up to try to nab defensive tackle Ed Oliver. That didn’t happen despite his unexpected fall but the Falcons did attempt trading up after Oliver was drafted. 

The perma-plugged-in Peter King had the play-by-play when the Denver Broncos went on the clock at 10th overall on Thursday night.

The Steelers got uncharacteristically aggressive by trading their 1st, 2nd, and 2020 3rd round picks to trade up for speedy linebacker Devin Bush. The Giants ended up drafting Dexter Lawrence at 17. 

Per King, the Falcons weren’t even in second place in bidding for pick 10. Assuming eventual 14th overall pick Chris Lindstrom was the team’s backup pick, Atlanta wanted to draft either Devin Bush, 11th overall pick Jonah Williams, 12th overall pick Rashan Gary, or 13th overall pick Christian Wilkins.

There were rumors days before the draft the Falcons were interested in Christian Wilkins, and a rumor, later called a smokescreen, the Falcons were trading up for Devin Bush. Williams was the top ranked offensive lineman and had experience at right tackle and guard. 

All three would make sense but my guess is Christian Wilkins. After missing out on the top two defensive tackles in the draft, Atlanta had a chance at the last elite(ish) prospect in Wilkins. A short trade up would make sense if the Falcons planned on a more balanced draft with one new starter on each line. 

The trade did not go through so the Falcons focused heavily on the offensive line. It is a little unconventional but it’s too early to know if it works out. With that said, assuming the prospect was either a defensive lineman or linebacker, look for the Falcons to continue looking at veterans and trade options.

Wilkins was my top player I wanted for us the get ,, But in reallity .,,   and in the long run,, what happened may be the very best thing that could have happened.. WE must protect Matt Ryan.!! Or we will fail... So in the end ,, I'm now kind of glad things ended up like they did.. Best for the team.

10 minutes ago, Draftnut57 said:

Wilkins was my top player I wanted for us the get ,, But in reallity .,,   and in the long run,, what happened may be the very best thing that could have happened.. WE must protect Matt Ryan.!! Or we will fail... So in the end ,, I'm now kind of glad things ended up like they did.. Best for the team.

It's nice to see there are a few of us here who actually have the maturity to allow a change of their own mind.  

Thank God we didn't win that trade if true (I doubt it). Wilkins is going to be a good player but Lindstrom fills a huge hole in our OL. I think Lindstrom was the pick all along, we've been enamored with him since his campus workout. 

Shnikies, NWFALCON and ATLskinjob like this

People were acting like we were lying. TD and Quinn said in post draft they made calls about moving up but the price was not right. I am glad we didn’t give up a 2nd and next years 3rd to move up. Getting two 1st round OL excites me. We have never invested in Matts safety and opening running lanes quite like this offseason during Matts career with us. TD and Quinn sounded really excited to add Davison, Clayborn, Cominsky and even Hageman, in the post draft interview, to Jarrett, Beasley, McKinley, Means, Senat, and Crawford. Saying we had lots of talented guys to rotate on our defensive line. I think Davison is very underrated by the board. I think Clayborn is a really nice reunion as well. Our front office seemed to have decided that our DL had improved, but that our offense could benefit MORE from the OL players on the board, than our defense could by the defensive players on the board, with or free agents considered. Like I said, Davison is still young, Senat is young, both likely have not seen their best football but have already shown out. Hageman is a fun wildcard. Crawford had a breakout year. Jarrett is very good. Our DT spot may be a strength this year. Our DEs, adding Clayborn back really strengthens the group. And I am excited to see Means taking over Reeds snaps. That is all. :P

11 minutes ago, rudy said:

It's sad to see that we just missed out on a chance to get an elite defensive player on a year when talent is so stacked on the defensive side.

We won't know for sure until it plays out but wouldn't you want to give up just a bit more to land such a player?

1st, 2nd and 3rd?   or even less since we're moving up from #14

No, I like the way it worked out.  If we traded up for Wilkins then we don’t have ammunition to get Lindstrom, Gary nor any of the top offensive linemen.

We would have been chasing our tail the whole draft.

rounz, NWFALCON, NeonDeion and 2 others like this

7 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

The next natural question would be,  did the Falcons try and trade up with Cindy at 11(Jonah Williams) or Green Bay at 12(Rashan Gary).

I hope it wasnt williams. Glad we dont have to worry bout it.

g-dawg, Schwarzwald and Cole World like this

Posted (edited)

18 minutes ago, FentayeJones said:

Didn't Dimitroff acknowledge in his press conference that teams in the top 10 called him to trade up but turned them down? So its just a question of who do you choose to believe. I suspect that most will choose to believe Peter King lol.

I like the staff man but i dont trust what they say at times.

Edited by red falcon

20 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Wilkins

McGary

Sheffield

Comminsky

Gaillard

The Washington DB

Qadre Ellison(later)

not that different.   Sub Gaillard late for Lindstrom early

i don't know. if we moved up for wilkins, i doubt we have mcgary since we moved up for him. 

g-dawg and Monolith2001 like this

It felt like we were caught off guard a bit. The post 1st round interview with TD when he was asked a question about 'knowing who he was going to take' and if that person was Lindstrom, TD replied yes straight away but DQ's grin suggested otherwise. I still feel like Oliver or Wilkins was the target going in, but happy to have Lindstrom. He's one of those safe, un-sexy picks that plays 10 years in the NFL and starts day 1.

NeonDeion and Boise Falcon Fan like this

4 minutes ago, Dirtybird56 said:

Thank god we didn’t trade up for Wilkins, or Williams for that matter 

Maybe,, and Maybe not.. IMO out of all the DTs.. Wilkins will be the best Sack Machine.. That's huge... And we could have gotten a  2 very good OL latter,  There were a lot of very good OL in the top three rounds. But to find a DT sack machine like Wilkins?? Not so much...

FalconsSavant likes this

Posted (edited)

I think the move up was for Gary. He fits the elite athletic profile we covet and has the versatility and "get off" DQ looks for in dlineman. We met with him at the combine and I think we worked him out although I'm not 100%.

Edited by Bobby.Digital

I think this draft class will pivot the Falcons toward more success if not his year then next. I want a monster defense just like anyone else, but having an offense that can stay on the field longer, and keep the defense fresher throughout the course of a game is probably the best course of action. I think the defense will be much improved from what we saw last year with the addition of DQ calling the shots, and with the additions made to the DL. If we can just avoid major injuries, then we'll be in the playoffs.

g-dawg likes this