FalconsIn2020

Starting Unit: Offense

47 posts in this topic

52 minutes ago, Tandy said:

I just used the ranking on NFL.com - which leaves something to be desired.   I believe it goes by sacks for the most part.   

As I recall - Ryan was still hit a lot in 2016 - even more than 2017.   However, in 2017, we had this sudden influx of drops by the receivers and bounces into interceptions.   That hurt us more than the O-Line in 2017.

Here are more in-depth numbers by the year for the O-Line

2016   27th in qb hits with 106, 21st in sacks with 37, 5th in rush yards, 3rd in rush td, 

2017   17th in qb hits with 87, 3rd in sacks with 24, 13th in rush yards, 15th in rush td,

2018   27th in qb hits with 108, 20th in sacks with 42, 27th in rush yards, 23rd in rush td

This has more to do with long developing wide receiver concepts than anything else.  

Unfortunately Koetter will offer more of the same

Tandy likes this

4 hours ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Anything less than a top 3 offense in the league is a failure.

Barring any major injuries (knock on wood).

5 hours ago, Tandy said:

I can see 28 - 30 points per game, but not sure we start that way.

That line will be just put together  - and like any "unit", but especially lines, it takes time to learn to communicate and move as a unit.   

Interesting note is that the one year we made it all the way to the SB with this team - the OL played the entire year together. 

I'm not saying that's the reason we made it - but it's an interesting note.   Same was true for the Rams.   Eagles had one guy off the line for weeks 14-15, but back for the 16th and through the playoffs.  

3 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

True. Especially the right side. The good thing is Mack tho. The 2 new guards will pick up things quickly playing beside him. If Ty starts then the line will come out of the gate swinging. If McGrary starts it’ll be ok out the gate. He’ll have to get used to game time speed but he will. 

Chris Morgan’s got a job to do this off season.

Much like DQ on the other side of the ball.

These 2 postion groups will probably decide the Falcons outcome this season.

Tandy, Vandy and FalconsIn2020 like this

5 hours ago, Tandy said:

That line will be just put together  - and like any "unit", but especially lines, it takes time to learn to communicate and move as a unit.   

Interesting note is that the one year we made it all the way to the SB with this team - the OL played the entire year together. 

I'm not saying that's the reason we made it - but it's an interesting note.   Same was true for the Rams.   Eagles had one guy off the line for weeks 14-15, but back for the 16th and through the playoffs.  

Didn't Jason Peters tear his ACL that season?  So they actually had a pretty significant change around mid season if I recall correctly.

7 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

We have absolutely no excuse for not averaging 29-30 ppg this year.  Some teams have lots of draft capital invested in their offense, others have high level FA’s/veterans.  We have both.  Can any other unit make this claim:

With the exception of Sanu, all our starters on offense are either 1st round selections or have been to a Pro Bowl.

Defense better tighten up and remain injury free.  Could be a special year.

You know only 3 teams averaged 29+ points last season? The SB champions didn't even average that.

6 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

You know only 3 teams averaged 29+ points last season? The SB champions didn't even average that.

Well our offensive line has more 1st round selections than the entire 2018 Patriots starting offense & defense. Our offense also has 20 million more in CAP resources than NE.  

Honestly, our offense should be better

31 minutes ago, IA Falcon07 said:

Didn't Jason Peters tear his ACL that season?  So they actually had a pretty significant change around mid season if I recall correctly.

Yes, I missed that.  He was gone from game 7 and Halapoulivaati Vaitai came in and played the rest of the season and through the playoffs.   They did win offensive line of the year from PFF despite that loss - so they were a pretty good line.  Rare to not only lose an all pro LG, but your starting QB and still do so well.    Vaitai did play in 7 games for them in 2016  as a right tackle and he played in all 16 games in 2017 (only started in 10 RS though) - so he had some familiarity with the line.

IA Falcon07 likes this

15 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Well our offensive line has more 1st round selections than the entire 2018 Patriots starting offense & defense. Our offense also has 20 million more in CAP resources than NE.  

Honestly, our offense should be better

They have the GOAT QB and the GOAT HC. Let that sink in.

FalconsIn2020 and Tandy like this

4 hours ago, Geneaut said:

I’m thinking if we run the ball more when we jump ahead to wear down defenses it could lower total points scored a little. 

We got burnt in Super Bowl when we were just trying to score as many points as we could against the NFLs #1 defense. Our defense was on field way too long, 95 plus snaps. 

Tandy, Geneaut and FalconsIn2020 like this

If we make the plays that are there..... we will easily  be top 5..... probably top 3.

We left ALOT of plays out on the field the last couple years...whether it be drops, ill advised throws, missing open running lanes, stupid penalties etc.

We we just  make the plays that are there then we have an offense that will compete with anyone.

Tandy and FalconsIn2020 like this

1 hour ago, falconsd56 said:

If we make the plays that are there..... we will easily  be top 5..... probably top 3.

We left ALOT of plays out on the field the last couple years...whether it be drops, ill advised throws, missing open running lanes, stupid penalties etc.

We we just  make the plays that are there then we have an offense that will compete with anyone.

Unfortunately, one problem with rookie linemen is an increase in penalties.   Let’s hope that isn’t an issue

FalconsIn2020 likes this

Just now, Tandy said:

Unfortunately, one problem with rookie linemen is an increase in penalties.   Let’s hope that isn’t an issue

This is true.

That is one of the big reasons why I am not a fan of rookie linemen ... There is a pretty steep learning curb for linemen in the nfl today.

FalconsIn2020 and Tandy like this

30 minutes ago, Tandy said:

People better hope Ty at least starts.  Can’t have both  rookies on the right side. 

And McGary is penalty machine.  9 last year

Tandy likes this

8 hours ago, Tandy said:

We do have 5 preseason games to get them acclimated that is if DQ lets them get decent reps in

Tandy likes this

2 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

People better hope Ty at least starts.  Can’t have both  rookies on the right side. 

And McGary is penalty machine.  9 last year

They have to work on technique with him and that will improve.   I think it’s a good thing for us that we have an extra preseason game this year but yeah, I see penalties on the line going up this year.    Let’s hope it gets better as the season progresses.  

5 minutes ago, roman42 said:

We do have 5 preseason games to get them acclimated that is if DQ lets them get decent reps in

That should help, but there will still be a learning curve

10 minutes ago, Tandy said:

They have to work on technique with him and that will improve.   I think it’s a good thing for us that we have an extra preseason game this year but yeah, I see penalties on the line going up this year.    Let’s hope it gets better as the season progresses.  

Start Ty, bring in McGary to build confidence in Fant packages 

9 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Start Ty, bring in McGary to build confidence in Fant packages 

That’s really what I see them doing

10 hours ago, BoomGoesTheDynamite said:

Will say that with Kotter and Mularkey back, I expect a lot more ball control and time of possession to dramatically increase. That will definitely help the D.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Koetter passing attack with Mularky running game with a splash of Shanny offense. That's just masterful. Let's go with TMQ running the defense. 

ALL GAS NO BRAKES 

2 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

This is true.

That is one of the big reasons why I am not a fan of rookie linemen ... There is a pretty steep learning curb for linemen in the nfl today.

Not as much for this one, though 56. Started 43 consecutive games at RT for Huskies.

I know what you’re saying, but McGary should be more polished than average rookie RT. 

11 hours ago, vel said:

Lol that's the first thing I thought about when we took McGary. I wasn't a fan of the Lindstrom pick alone, but together, they potentially give you a brick wall in the passing game and a downright steamroller in the run game if it works out. 

That's why Brees is so good. Imagine how good Matt has been but him being better because he's not getting hit or has all day to throw to bums. Now imagine those "bums" being Julio, Ridley, Sanu, and Hooper. That's mainly why I got excited. Koetter lit teams up with lesser OLs. And we have Mularkey again. 

There is literally no excuse for the offense. None. Top five no less. Entirely too much talent. 

A lot of people like to hate on M Ryan, but if you give him a pocket like some of these other 'elite' qbs are getting, and Ryan puts up even better stats.  He gets rid of the ball so quick, not because of the plays but because of necessity.