FalconsIn2020

Starting Unit: Offense

47 posts in this topic

We have absolutely no excuse for not averaging 29-30 ppg this year.  Some teams have lots of draft capital invested in their offense, others have high level FA’s/veterans.  We have both.  Can any other unit make this claim:

With the exception of Sanu, all our starters on offense are either 1st round selections or have been to a Pro Bowl.

Defense better tighten up and remain injury free.  Could be a special year.

tonatl07, Osiruz, Mescalito and 8 others like this

1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Can any other unit make this claim:

With the exception of Sanu, all our starters on offense are either 1st round selections or have been to a Pro Bowl.

Yes. The New Orleans Saints:

Brees, Kamara, Armstead, Peat, Warford, Ramcyz, Cook, Thomas, Ginn

That's 9 of 11 starters. That's essentially what the Falcons will be if Brown starts instead of Carpenter. 

Agreed though. This unit should consistently put up 30 ppg. No reason they shouldn't. They aren't far off (26 ppg in 2018). We have a much more creative OC, a better OL, and hopefully are healthy. 

1 minute ago, vel said:

Yes. The New Orleans Saints:

Brees, Kamara, Armstead, Peat, Warford, Ramcyz, Cook, Thomas, Ginn

That's 9 of 11 starters. That's essentially what the Falcons will be if Brown starts instead of Carpenter. 

Agreed though. This unit should consistently put up 30 ppg. No reason they shouldn't. They aren't far off (26 ppg in 2018). We have a much more creative OC, a better OL, and hopefully are healthy. 

Thanks for ruining my mojo, Vel.  

I can see 28 - 30 points per game, but not sure we start that way.

That line will be just put together  - and like any "unit", but especially lines, it takes time to learn to communicate and move as a unit.   

Interesting note is that the one year we made it all the way to the SB with this team - the OL played the entire year together. 

I'm not saying that's the reason we made it - but it's an interesting note.   Same was true for the Rams.   Eagles had one guy off the line for weeks 14-15, but back for the 16th and through the playoffs.  

17 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Thanks for ruining my mojo, Vel.  

Lol that's the first thing I thought about when we took McGary. I wasn't a fan of the Lindstrom pick alone, but together, they potentially give you a brick wall in the passing game and a downright steamroller in the run game if it works out. 

That's why Brees is so good. Imagine how good Matt has been but him being better because he's not getting hit or has all day to throw to bums. Now imagine those "bums" being Julio, Ridley, Sanu, and Hooper. That's mainly why I got excited. Koetter lit teams up with lesser OLs. And we have Mularkey again. 

There is literally no excuse for the offense. None. Top five no less. Entirely too much talent. 

Not worried about the O, since we addressed most of our needs in the draft and got some big nasty dudes that are willing to compete for the positions.

However, scoring 30 points is moot if we can't stop opposing teams from scoring 31. Just saying.

Hope Quinn can work some magic on the D.

I am as excited about the new oline as everyone else, but let's temper our expectations just a little as these guys will still be rookies.  They will take some lumps.   Give them a year to gel before we pound the table for another historic offensive run.

FalconsIn2020 and Atl Falcon like this

6 minutes ago, vel said:

Lol that's the first thing I thought about when we took McGary. I wasn't a fan of the Lindstrom pick alone, but together, they potentially give you a brick wall in the passing game and a downright steamroller in the run game if it works out. 

That's why Brees is so good. Imagine how good Matt has been but him being better because he's not getting hit or has all day to throw to bums. Now imagine those "bums" being Julio, Ridley, Sanu, and Hooper. That's mainly why I got excited. Koetter lit teams up with lesser OLs. And we have Mularkey again. 

There is literally no excuse for the offense. None. Top five no less. Entirely too much talent. 

Here are the rankings for the offense the past 3 regular seasons.    Based on these - would you expect top 5 in every category?

#6 overall - offense
#4 overall - passing offense
#4 overall - receiving offense
#27 overall - rushing offense
#10 overall - touchdowns offense
#10 overall - scoring offense
#20 overall - offensive line

#8 overall - offense
#8 overall - passing offense
#9 overall - receiving offense
#13 overall - rushing offense
#19 overall - touchdowns offense
#15 overall - scoring offense
#3 overall - offensive line

#2 overall - offense
#3 overall - passing offense
#2 overall - receiving offense
#5 overall - rushing offense
#1 overall - touchdowns offense
#1 overall - scoring offense
#21 overall - offensive line

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, Tandy said:

Here are the rankings for the offense the past 3 regular seasons.    Based on these - would you expect top 5 in every category?

#6 overall - offense

#8 overall - offense

#2 overall - offense

I don't care what anyone says, Vandy you watched the Falcons...We all know we did not have the #3 offensive line in the NFL in 2017. The fact a far superior line in 2016 was ranked 21st is even more comical.

2017 we had garbage at RG and Schraders play was quickly declining. 2016 Chester was our weakest O-Lineman and he was pretty dang solid for being the worst of the 5.

Only year I could agree with from those 3 years is 2018. #20 sounds about right.

Edited by PriMeTiiMe
vel likes this

25 minutes ago, vel said:

I agree Thomas is no bumb though. The rest of those Wr are though lol. Kamara and Thomas all day. Thats all they do.

We have to field a consistently stellar offense this year. The investment on the offensive side of the ball was too great this off-season to have mediocre performances. 

Also, we missed out on some good defensive play makers so our defense has to be decent or folks are going to question the moves this off-season. 

FalconsIn2020 likes this

1 hour ago, Tandy said:

That line will be just put together  - and like any "unit", but especially lines, it takes time to learn to communicate and move as a unit.   

Interesting note is that the one year we made it all the way to the SB with this team - the OL played the entire year together. 

I'm not saying that's the reason we made it - but it's an interesting note.   Same was true for the Rams.   Eagles had one guy off the line for weeks 14-15, but back for the 16th and through the playoffs.  

True. Especially the right side. The good thing is Mack tho. The 2 new guards will pick up things quickly playing beside him. If Ty starts then the line will come out of the gate swinging. If McGrary starts it’ll be ok out the gate. He’ll have to get used to game time speed but he will. 

Ergo Proxy, Tandy and FalconsIn2020 like this

I am not worried about averages but the Offense May take few weeks to gel. Three new starters, possibly two rookies won’t be an instant success. Add a new OC, though Ryan is familiar guys like Sanu and others have to learn new techniques and scheme. 

We may see the Offense gel and start hitting all cylinders between week 4-8. 

19 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

True. Especially the right side. The good thing is Mack tho. The 2 new guards will pick up things quickly playing beside him. If Ty starts then the line will come out of the gate swinging. If McGrary starts it’ll be ok out the gate. He’ll have to get used to game time speed but he will. 

The rookies will get no easy ones early next year.  Tough DL’s to start off

20 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Honestly, and much depends on the way he performs during preseason, I'd almost rather he start from the beginning - so when we get down to our Division games and the late season run - he'll be much more at ease on the line.

That however, puts us at a disadvantage coming out of the gate against some pretty tough defenses.    It could pay off in the end though.    I wonder if they'll play him rotationally to start, throw him in from the get-go or hold him out til they feel he's ready.    The decision there could be our season, honestly.

3 minutes ago, Tandy said:

Honestly, and much depends on the way he performs during preseason, I'd almost rather he start from the beginning - so when we get down to our Division games and the late season run - he'll be much more at ease on the line.

That however, puts us at a disadvantage coming out of the gate against some pretty tough defenses.    It could pay off in the end though.    I wonder if they'll play him rotationally to start, throw him in from the get-go or hold him out til they feel he's ready.    The decision there could be our season, honestly.

I can go with this. I’d rather him win the staring job out the gate. Running the call well will also help him early on. His aggressiveness will be good against the top pass rushers he will face. 

10 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

I can go with this. I’d rather him win the staring job out the gate. Running the call well will also help him early on. His aggressiveness will be good against the top pass rushers he will face. 

Agree - and it helps to know we have Ty there if he falls on his face.

edit  - we may see Ty brought in as a TE often to start with - as some additional help.

2 hours ago, Tandy said:

We had a top 3 OL that year while the rest of the league was decimated by injuries, that was a big reason we made the big game.

2 hours ago, Tandy said:

#6 overall - offense

#8 overall - offense

#2 overall - offense

Look at 2016. Top five everything. Overall, they should be a top five unit. Points, DVOA, PFF. Whatever overall metric you want to use, there should be no excuse. It should rival the 2016 group in terms of overall effectiveness and dominance. 

Also, don't know how you rate an OL and whatever rating you're referencing is clearly broke because the 2016 OL was much better than the 2017 OL. 

Tandy, Ergo Proxy, gazoo and 2 others like this

3 hours ago, Tandy said:

Agree about taking time for OL to gel.

I predict in preseason we may have some first unit  drives where we struggle running the ball and all out panic will infect the boards.

We are very fortunate to have the gauntlet of division games all come after the bye week. By then, at the latest, I would expect the OL to be playing at a high level together.

This OL group has the talent and depth to be the very best OL Ryan has ever had. 

Tandy and FalconsIn2020 like this

3 hours ago, Tandy said:

I wouldn't be shocked if we started a little slow......and I'm not necessarily talking wins and losses just how smoothly we role out the gate. Communication across the OL is more important than any other position. That's why these guys have to be smart and not just physical. Like killer whales on turf.

Tandy likes this

43 minutes ago, vel said:

Look at 2016. Top five everything. Overall, they should be a top five unit. Points, DVOA, PFF. Whatever overall metric you want to use, there should be no excuse. It should rival the 2016 group in terms of overall effectiveness and dominance. 

Also, don't know how you rate an OL and whatever rating you're referencing is clearly broke because the 2016 OL was much better than the 2017 OL. 

I just used the ranking on NFL.com - which leaves something to be desired.   I believe it goes by sacks for the most part.   

As I recall - Ryan was still hit a lot in 2016 - even more than 2017.   However, in 2017, we had this sudden influx of drops by the receivers and bounces into interceptions.   That hurt us more than the O-Line in 2017.

Here are more in-depth numbers by the year for the O-Line

2016   27th in qb hits with 106, 21st in sacks with 37, 5th in rush yards, 3rd in rush td, 

2017   17th in qb hits with 87, 3rd in sacks with 24, 13th in rush yards, 15th in rush td,

2018   27th in qb hits with 108, 20th in sacks with 42, 27th in rush yards, 23rd in rush td

gazoo likes this