vel

Lindstrom and McGary at Senior Bowl

61 posts in this topic

@Yo_Lover posted:

McGary.

• Run blocking push, he will drive you back to the second level and push you out of the play because **** you that's why
  • Confident he will out muscle any rusher you put in front of him
  • Will ride speed rushers off the screen completely behind his QB
  • If a defender runs right at him they are not going anywhere
  •  
  •  
  • Super aggressive, will not wait for you. He is coming for you

1 hour ago, vel said:

My guy Voch Lombardi, one of the best YouTube film guys, (Counter part to our friend @Unintentional Grounding) made a film of the OL vs DL drills at the Senior Bowl. Fortunately enough, we got to see a number of reps by Lindstrom and McGary. Take a look (Reminder: 1v1 OL vs DL drills give the advantage to the DL, given there is no threat of the run and the "QB" is already at a defined drop point. Keep that in mind.) I timestamped both guys reps for quick reference.

4:30 - Chris Lindstrom vs Renell Wren (6'5 318lb)
6:15 - Chris Lindstrom vs Khalen Saunders (6'0 324lb)

12:30 - Kaleb McGary vs John Cominsky (Falcon on Falcon violence)
12:50 - Kaleb McGary vs LJ Collier (6'4 275lb)

18:00 - Chris Lindstrom vs Greg Gaines (6'1 312lb)

19:15 - Kaleb McGary vs Zach Allen (6'4 281lb)

19:38 - Chris Lindstrom vs LJ Collier

22:35 - Kaleb McGary vs Sutton Smith (6'0 233lb)

When you watch Lindstrom vs the other guards, I see exactly why they liked him and why he was more heralded than the others. He was much cleaner in these drills than the other guys. He was just good. Repeatedly. Yea, Gaines beat him, but it took pulling his head to get that win. Don't know how much I give that to Gaines beating Lindstrom more than just a cheap tactic in a drill. Other than that, he stoned everybody else by the time the ball would have been thrown. And his anchor! Boy!

I'd say McGary and Scharping were the best OTs in these drills. You could clearly see McGary's "Mudd teachings" in play on each rep. He was getting the jump on guys and either pancaking them or riding them around the arc. But you could also see the nuance in his sets. He knew who he was up against and adjusted accordingly, which is impressive. Versus Zach Allen, he was prepared for the physical fight and hunkered down. Versus Collier, he knew he was gonna go for the edge and rode him around the arc fairly cleanly. Cominsky got a decent rush on him, but it was 3 seconds before Cominsky even attempted to spin back inside. Ball is gone. Vs Sutton Smith, you see him feint a jab to get Smith to commit then he just pummels him. It's quite impressive honestly. 

Also wanted to add this here, from Field Level Media

Overall, I think this is a good video to watch and assess our new Falcons. It was also fun to see them next to each other in the drill and for Voch to call Cominsky small compared to McGary. That shows you just how big that man is when a 6'5 286lb DE looks small. 

Nice post brother! That vid should open some eyes!

I'm still hesitant on Mcgary, but I see the upside and potential. Lindstrom I was already impressed with and felt he overtook Ford as the best OG prospect in the draft. I felt  Ford was the best, but Lindstrom is so sound in his technique that I was willing to take that over Ford's nastiness.

mtldirtybird likes this

Just now, Unintentional Grounding said:

I will try to do my best with the current draft class and make breakdowns for them over the he coming weeks. 

Sweet . Looking forward to it . I didn’t mind Lid at 14, didn’t like trading up for Kaleb at all but this was good info with material to boot . I’m almost never optimistic when it comes to the Falcons these days but this made me feel pretty good about the moves we just made . Quality work here . Preciate it . 

JDaveG likes this

1 hour ago, Yo_Lover said:

McGary makes power rushers look like little kids trying to push back their daddy.

This is why I like him a good bit. He can completely neutralize a power rusher, which is exciting. The rushers that will give him trouble gave Schraeder trouble so I'm not overly concerned about that unless they plan on going 5 Wide and leaving the OTs on islands. 

The other key to these two guys: They're both Seniors coming out. 

TD's comment about OL transitioning from college to the Pro's taking time, I think, was a hint to this. Lindstrom should transition fairly quickly, as guards tend to. But he's got 47 games of experience along the OL. McGary had 46 starts at RT in four years at Washington. That's a LOT of experience and playing. It's not like a first or second year starter then coming out. These guys have been starting since 2015. Think about that. 

Rings, Cole World, Drew4719 and 7 others like this

Good post vel.

Looks like Lindstrom is a day 1 starter. To have the level of ability mixed with nasty nasty, color me excited. 

McGary just needs a little coaching on technique which I think Falcons knew when we drafted him. If he’s not a day one starter, I would expect to see him starting by game 5.  We are fortunate to not have to rush him.

Cheap Talk and JDaveG like this

When McGary can engage he freaking destroys people with a vengeance. I never heard of him pre-draft but I almost like him better than Lindstrom. The other thread with all the Cover1 gifs he has some great technique too and love when his guy drops into coverage and he goes and mauls someone else.

IamFRESCO1 and Osiruz like this

2 hours ago, Unintentional Grounding said:

I will try to do my best with the current draft class and make breakdowns for them over the he coming weeks. 

Excellent!!!

Tandy likes this