Kendall Sheffield footwork

MayorWest13

35 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

I thought the biggest knock against him was his disinclination to turn his head around to locate the ball. That's a hard skill to master but if he can figure it out, he should be fine.

Yeah, he's basically like Rocky. More athleticism reliant than technique sound, but if you put in the work you will get results. Then, hopefully with technique as his foundation he will become comfortable looking back and understanding timing of routes while learning recognition and not overplaying the receiver/getting grabby.

I think his floor could be Rocky 2.0 and with upside to replace Tru if he becomes a technician. Physically, only an inch shorter than Tru but similar weight, faster, bigger hands and a slightly larger wingspan.

I think that's the upside goal. Him becoming Tru's replacement in 1-2 years if he is a quick learn. Miller as a boundary CB depth we need instead of Wreh-Wilson.

NB in the meantime for Sheffield and worst-cast a FS under-study. That's just on D alone.

2 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

I thought the biggest knock against him was his disinclination to turn his head around to locate the ball. That's a hard skill to master but if he can figure it out, he should be fine.

Earlier today, I watched an interview w/ Sheffield from media day @ the Rose Bowl. Someone brought up that specific issue, and Sheffield's canned response was slightly concerning. I get that the dude isn't exactly the most articulate person in the locker room, but it really felt like he had no answer for why he can't get his head around & just went to the default "that's something we've been working on all year" in the most uninspired tone imaginable.

5 minutes ago, vel said:

Still makes me nervous but he's got great feet. It's not in a game with a WR pressing him and stressing his bubble. I think him in a man scheme will allow him to rely on his speed, but if he can't play the ball it all won't matter. 

Can you envision him as a FS? I can. Watching several of his games he’s much better with coming downhill 

24 minutes ago, k-train said:

Earlier today, I watched an interview w/ Sheffield from media day @ the Rose Bowl. Someone brought up that specific issue, and Sheffield's canned response was slightly concerning. I get that the dude isn't exactly the most articulate person in the locker room, but it really felt like he had no answer for why he can't get his head around & just went to the default "that's something we've been working on all year" in the most uninspired tone imaginable.

You'd answer the same way if you were being asked the same question every single week by people who couldn't possibly imagine how hard it is to get your head around.

45 minutes ago, k-train said:

I'm telling you about this kid. He can't play the ball and we don't have any coaches who can teach him. I don't know why people on this board think a previous DL coach (Quinn) can teach him something Saban or Meyers couldn't. He77, if our DB coaches couldn't teach Alford how not to be so grabby, then why do people think they're gonna teach this kid anything?

13 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

You'd answer the same way if you were being asked the same question every single week by people who couldn't possibly imagine how hard it is to get your head around.

I get what you're saying, and no doubt it's an incredibly difficult thing to do, but this is what he is trying to become... an NFL CB who has to cover some of the most gifted athletes on the planet. So it's kind of an incredibly critical part of the job description to be able to get your head around.

And if he's tired of being asked about it week in & week out, he should actually SHOW that he's putting in work to improve rather than just saying what he thinks he's supposed to say. Clearly the fact that he was still being asked about it at the end of the year shows that the work he claimed he was doing all season long wasn't enough to make a difference.

16 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

3 minutes ago, k-train said:

I get what you're saying, and no doubt it's an incredibly difficult thing to do, but this is what he is trying to become... an NFL CB. who has to cover some of the most gifted athletes on the planet. So it's kind of an incredibly critical part of the job description to be able to get your head around.

And if he's tired of being asked about it week in & week out, he should actually SHOW that he's putting in work to improve rather than just say he is. Clearly the fact that he was still being asked about it at the end of the year shows that the work he claimed he was doing all year wasn't enough to make a difference.

It's way too much missing context to determine either way. Both of you could be right, one of you, and both of you could be wrong.

Any assumption about how much he is trying, what work he is or isn't showing, and/or how much he cares or doesn't from this interview is not something that should be respectfully used in any capacity to past judgment, good or bad.

For example, a canned response to you may be what is taught from Meyer. Now he has discipline instead of lack of care. Just like that context changes everything.

Dude is super light on his feet and quick.  Not turning your head is one of my big issues with DB's.

I hope he comes around.

That said, this dude could do like Deion used to and side shuffle or backpedal as fast as most people who he's covering.  Ha.  Keep it all in front of you all the time.