ryantlanta

BRANDON FUSCO CUT WITH A FAILED PHYSICAL DESIGNATION

105 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

You've got to think Wes is almost guaranteed a spot now, given he's the only interior OL left that has been cross trained at center.

I think plan is for Wes to back up Alex Mack. We still have flexibility with Brown, Carpenter and Lindstorm. 

Smiler11 and Drew4719 like this

41 minutes ago, RYNE said:

Who could have seen such a thing coming? 

Awful signing in the first place. He was never good prior to the injury 

In the past 5 years he was graded a top 5 OG once and a top 20 OG another year.

Some of you guys with your dislike of players is illogical.

7 games with Fusco: 31 ppg

9 games without him: 20 ppg

2 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Some if you guys with your dislike of players is illogical.

Some of you guys and your fascination of mediocre talent is illogical.

falcons007 likes this

16 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

I think plan is for Wes to back up Alex Mack. We still have flexibility with Brown, Carpenter and Lindstorm. 

Could be, but I definitely would not be shocked if Wes gets the boot before the season starts.

He was given a year to redshirt & get up to speed, then was handed a starting role. He did not perform as hoped & Fusco was signed to replace him as a starter. Once Fusco & Levitre went down last year, Wes got another chance to prove he could be a starter. Again, he did not perform as hoped & so Brown, Carpenter, and Lindstrom have all been brought in. One of those guy will replace him as a starter.

So Wes has now lost the starting job twice already & cutting him frees up another $2M with almost no dead money whatsoever.

At the same time, we could just keep him around as depth if we don't have a better option, and then just let him walk after the season since his contract runs out. Either way, I'd be somewhat surprised if the FO isn't about ready to throw in the towel on him.

15 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Wes at Center? You think that he is fast and tough? Might be.

I would prefer a 6'6 Center @ 320. But this could work.

falcons007 and PokerSteve like this

1 hour ago, HolyMoses said:

In retrospect, this was forseeable.  And it explains a little.

How much dead money is this?

It's easy to forget that he was out most of last season.

In a way, it is sort of empowering. . . We were DECIMATED by injuries last season and were still somewhat competitive.

I used over the cap, because Im not sure how injury designations work, but as a straight cut, it puts us up to 4.3 million before june 1 from the 2.6 we had before.  We will eat about 2.5 million because of it, but it opens up a few million for us as well as shortening the list of potential players at G, which BTW is still a GREAT list compared to last year.  Plus RS money should put us over 10 million if you include it in this move and the 2 plus million we already had, mix that in with soon to be extenstions for JJ and GJ, and we could be sitting on about 20 million again before rookies get signed.  A little breathing room, not much, but enough to take who we have and possibly pick up one or two more roster cuts or FAs pending in the next few weeks or months?

15 minutes ago, hollywood said:

Saving $.....now go get Gerald McCoy please. 

7 minutes ago, hjerry said:

You mean the McCoy currently on the bucs roster?

And with an unsigned draft class...

This had to be done, anyone who didn't see it coming needs to get their prescription checked.

We've upgraded and we have solid depth without a heavy injury file.

Wish him nothing but the best, thank you for your contributions!

1 hour ago, Flying Falcon said:

So, what does this means? We still paying him after June 1? Why did they wait till now and not June 1?

Only 1 guy can be designated...the shredder

Flying Falcon likes this

57 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

You've got to think Wes is almost guaranteed a spot now, given he's the only interior OL left that has been cross trained at center.

Responding to a question about the possibility of using Lindstrom at C, DQ said in the day-1 draft presser that they actually make all OG prospects do some drills at C to see what kind of versatility they have... not sure if that is just w/ draft prospects or if the approach also applies to free agents, but I'd imagine so because he also made a point to mention that the new additions to the line (Brown, Carpenter, Lindstrom, and McGary) all had shown good versatility.

egoprime II likes this

1 hour ago, k-train said:

From looking at when players from other teams have been released due to a failed physical, I get the feeling that it's treated just like cutting any player under contract. Thus, the cap ramifications are the same as they would be by cutting them for any other reason.

In this case, I'd hope they are able to designate him a post-6/1 cut. That frees up $3M w/ $1.75M in dead money.

Cutting him outright gives us $2.3M, but creates $2.5 in dead money. 

Have a feeling this cut is more cap related than injury related. We didn't have enough cap space to sign the draft class (~$0.85M short) and rookie mini camp is next week.

k-train and egoprime II like this

11 minutes ago, TRUju2111 said:

Only 1 guy can be designated...the shredder

That used to be the case, but teams can designate 2 per year now.

-------------------------

"Years ago, June 1 had extreme significance on the NFL calendar.  Teams looking to reduce the cap hit from cutting a veteran player would wait until June 1, resulting in half or more of the acceleration to hit the cap in the following league year.

In 2006, the NFL changed the rule, allowing teams to cut two players per year before June 1, with a June 1 designation."

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/31/june-1-free-agency-deadline-moved-to-may-12/

1 hour ago, RYNE said:

Who could have seen such a thing coming? 

Awful signing in the first place. He was never good prior to the injury 

And ButtaFusco was our splash signing last year.

egoprime II likes this

45 minutes ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Wes at Center? You think that he is fast and tough? Might be.

I would prefer a 6'6 Center @ 320. But this could work.

Actually a center that tall would be a bad thing.

egoprime II likes this

48 minutes ago, k-train said:

Could be, but I definitely would not be shocked if Wes gets the boot before the season starts.

He was given a year to redshirt & get up to speed, then was handed a starting role. He did not perform as hoped & Fusco was signed to replace him as a starter. Once Fusco & Levitre went down last year, Wes got another chance to prove he could be a starter. Again, he did not perform as hoped & so Brown, Carpenter, and Lindstrom have all been brought in. One of those guy will replace him as a starter.

So Wes has now lost the starting job twice already & cutting him frees up another $2M with almost no dead money whatsoever.

At the same time, we could just keep him around as depth if we don't have a better option, and then just let him walk after the season since his contract runs out. Either way, I'd be somewhat surprised if the FO isn't about ready to throw in the towel on him.

I think wes is on the bubble but he was better than Fusco and garland. That’s not saying much but I can see him as some one who can back up C and OG if needed. Depends on if some one in camp can challenge him.

k-train likes this

Just now, falcons007 said:

I think wes is on the bubble but he was better than Fusco and garland. That’s not saying much but I can see him as some one who can back up C and OG if needed. Depends on if some one in camp can challenge him.

Yeah, pretty much where I'm at w/ him

7 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Have a feeling this cut is more cap related than injury related. We didn't have enough cap space to sign the draft class (~$0.85M short) and rookie mini camp is next week.

That's just more reason to hope it's a post-6/1 designation.

Flying Falcon likes this

1 hour ago, Smiler11 said:

I think Gettis has some experience at center.

Geneaut and egoprime II like this

1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Some of you guys with your dislike of players is illogical.

How about this ? 

Fusco Pass blocking fails in 3 games : 17 (hits+Sack+ pressures) and 2 penalties. 

Wes: Pass blocking failures for whole season: 25. 

Last I checked Fusco didn’t score 31 ppg.

DQ said it himself, the offensive line ran in to tough defenses in middle half of the season. Fusco probably would have been thrown around like rag doll.