2 Fastest Players in the Draft

PriMeTiiMe

Speed and athleticism is important in mid to late rounders and UDFAs. There usually is a reason they went late or undrafted. Often it’s simply being raw, but you can’t coach speed and athleticism and the chance to find a gem who matures when coached increases than just slow and unathletic prospects.

i love UGA but I don’t see a future in the NFL for Holyfield. I really don’t 

Sheffield should be a dam good gunner as a rookie. He's got Matthew Slater potential if we're being honest. And for people who scoff at the thought of that, go watch the Super Bowl. It was a punt coverage clinic featuring one Matthew Slater. Every punt was fair caught because Slater beat his man and was in position to cover it immediately. That helps the defense. 

Fast is great... unless you're just fast.

If your brain isn't also fast & it regularly takes a second to process everything, you're timed speed running in a track setting becomes moot.

That was the problem with a guy like Paul Worrilow. Go look up his Pro Day numbers & you see that his athletic testing numbers were on par or better than guys like Luke Keuchly, Ray Lewis, Clay Matthews, Brian Urlacher, etc. The problem was that he didn't have the mental agility to match his athleticism, and thus while he was often in the right spot, he always seemed a little late getting there. I honestly think this is exactly why a guy like Duke Riley struggles so much, too. That extra half second to second it takes those guys to process the play makes their speed obsolete. That 4.5 track speed quickly becomes more like 4.9 or worse on the field.

I have not dug too deep yet, but so far everything I've seen from Sheffield has me worried that he's not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer either. I feel like he's going to be incredibly frustrating because he'll have the physical traits to be special, but just isn't smart enough to play as fast as he runs.

34 minutes ago, k-train said:

Fast is great... unless you're just fast.

If your brain isn't also fast & it regularly takes a second to process everything, you're timed speed running in a track setting becomes moot.

That was the problem with a guy like Paul Worrilow. Go look up his Pro Day numbers & you see that his athletic testing numbers were on par or better than guys like Luke Keuchly, Ray Lewis, Clay Matthews, Brian Urlacher, etc. The problem was that he didn't have the mental agility to match his athleticism, and thus while he was often in the right spot, he always seemed a little late getting there. I honestly think this is exactly why a guy like Duke Riley struggles so much, too. That extra half second to second it takes those guys to process the play makes their speed obsolete. That 4.5 track speed quickly becomes more like 4.9 or worse on the field.

I have not dug too deep yet, but so far everything I've seen from Sheffield has me worried that he's not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer either. I feel like he's going to be incredibly frustrating because he'll have the physical traits to be special, but just isn't smart enough to play as fast as he runs.

All of that yells:

Special Teams Gunner

You don't have to think or read. Beat your blocker and haul as downfield. 

2 minutes ago, k-train said:

They'll definitely find a role for him, but if we traded up for him & he turns out to be nothing more than a great gunner, that's not exactly the best value IMO.

I disagree. If he turns into a Pro Bowl special teamer like Slater, that's just fine. 

3 hours ago, Outmyfalconmind said:

Tony Brook-James isn’t on our list of agreed to terms UDFA players. Anyone know anything about this? I thought he was mentioned to have agreed to terms.

He actually has it pinned on his twitter that he signed. Maybe it was just a tryout? There could also be another cut coming to make room for him.