putnam6

Defaults on Falcons’ PSLs reach $30 million, records show

48 posts in this topic

That seems high year one...

https://www.ajc.com/sports/football/defaults-falcons-psls-reach-million-records-show/YtQHnTqSsn3PPOCPLwQrOJ/?fbclid=IwAR0MU0qjBKLuzxprPIZ2KnbvnCkOL6zuc0UkV0qhtZUzwuGUhgGb4VZ81AA

Falcons 
April 27, 2019
By 

Falcons fans have defaulted on payments for thousands of personal seat licenses since Mercedes-Benz Stadium opened in 2017, essentially undoing about $30 million in sales, records show. 

The Falcons said, however, that they continue to sell PSLs to new buyers and for the third consecutive year have no plans to put single-game tickets on sale to the general public. 

Days before the first regular-season game was played at the new stadium in September 2017, the Falcons reported they had sold 57,040 seat licenses, which are one-time fees required for the right to buy season tickets. But by September 2018 that number had fallen to 50,408, according to a recent state audit report on the Georgia World Congress Center Authority. 

16 minutes ago, Falcon Blitz said:

Watching the game on tv is so much better. 

100% agree.  It's fun to be in the atmosphere of the game but you see more on TV especially gamepass all-22 and I don't have to ride MARTA and I don't have to drive an hour and a half there and back...

papachaz, Shnikies and Falcon Blitz like this

1 hour ago, Falcon Blitz said:

Watching the game on tv is so much better. 

its the best thing ever tbh...sure going to a game once a year is fine but being there for 8 games a year is a headache and one that I dont want to deal with...

me not going to every game doesnt make me a bad fan...

Going to a game is a great experience maybe 1-2 times a year or for a big playoff game but it's not the same as it used to be. You're going to spend a ton of money to get a decent seat, spend even more money on food, drinks and transportation..And then have to deal with traffic/MARTA. Then god forbid you have an annoyance near you that is a rival fan or even a Falcons fan that is overly intoxicated and making an idiot out of himself. And all this is not even factoring in the added cost of PSLs...

With the added camera angles, reviews, top of the line 4k TVs and sound systems you can get way more comfortable in your own home and enjoy each game for a fraction of the cost and without the headache.

I was a season ticket holder for many years until the PSLs came along. The Dome was a suitable, already paid for facility. It met the needs and didn't cost the fans, or the city any additional money. 

The sell:

Get a new stadium and we get to host the Superbowl!! -  So what? How many of us gained anything from the Superbowl being in town? 

$5 beers and $2 hot dogs? - I can still do cheaper at home, and better quality. Anyone buying PSLs for the discounted beer and hot dogs needs to re-evaluate their life. 

Let's be real. This new stadium and the PSLs  had nothing to do with the fans and everything to do with the ownership and the NFL. 

I'm still a Falcons fan, but it will be some time before I will go to a game. 

6 minutes ago, Shiney_McShine said:

I was a season ticket holder for many years until the PSLs came along. The Dome was a suitable, already paid for facility. It met the needs and didn't cost the fans, or the city any additional money. 

The sell:

Get a new stadium and we get to host the Superbowl!! -  So what? How many of us gained anything from the Superbowl being in town? 

$5 beers and $2 hot dogs? - I can still do cheaper at home, and better quality. Anyone buying PSLs for the discounted beer and hot dogs needs to re-evaluate their life. 

Let's be real. This new stadium and the PSLs  had nothing to do with the fans and everything to do with the ownership and the NFL. 

I'm still a Falcons fan, but it will be some time before I will go to a game. 

I never wanted to get rid of the Dome. It was home, with our best history. This place is just a nondescript pile of steel and concrete with flashy screens and WiFi. Most fans have no emotional connection to it. 

5 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

I never wanted to get rid of the Dome. It was home, with our best history. This place is just a nondescript pile of steel and concrete with flashy screens and WiFi. Most fans have no emotional connection to it. 

I mean 20 years from now you probably wont be saying the same thing...

Syndicate0017 and JeffAtl like this

I'm a PSL holder. I live in Charlotte. I've been to the Dome and this new stadium. The new stadium is nice and it's a great game day experience. They really do a good job of putting on an "entertaining" experience. The downside to this is that the PSL's have priced the real fans out. That sucks because they lose the home field advantage. For instance, like many others on here,  I was at the Washington game last year, and the Falcons fans took over the stadium. Literally!! Never seen something like that before. Unfortunately,  not the same on game day at the Benz  :(

Good.  As said above, going to a game or two every year can be fun, but this notion of the game being "family entertainment" is a little ridiculous.  Eight games for as much money as they want.  That is a really nice high def TV and pretty much anything you would want to eat or drink without the hassle. 

Last year was the first year in a long time that I didn't attend a game.  I bought a PSL and decided to dump it after the first year on their PSL for sale page.  I took a small hit but it was worth getting rid of it.  I thought I might go to a game or two instead of going every week.  Now the secondary market is crap because everyone is trying to fund their PSL.  

We have definitely lost our home field advantage we had at the dome.  The clubs and bars at MBS have killed it.  Will be interesting to see if winning brings the fans out to their seats.    

putnam6 and thanat0s like this

I'd love to still be a STH, but I can barely find the time to even watch on TV these days. I've not even gotten properly educated on the advantages or disadvantages of the owning a PSL. However, I do know that asking people to pay even more money for an already expensive endeavor is not going to go over well with the majority.

high impact and NCFalconfan like this

2 hours ago, capologist said:

100% agree.  It's fun to be in the atmosphere of the game but you see more on TV especially gamepass all-22 and I don't have to ride MARTA and I don't have to drive an hour and a half there and back...

The older I get, the less appeal to being in the atmosphere gets to me.  Maybe it’s the expense of it all.

PSLs are a pure money play. Just like the new stadium was a pure financial play. If they had found a way to keep selling single game tickets, it would have worked better. But the commitment needed for a PSL to even begin to go to games is just crazy. Do you need a PSL for Atlanta United games? 

There are still real fans there #ATLCAST has over 1000 members

That said...  It still hurts me to think about the 10-20-30 year fans we lost between the goal lines on the Falcons sideline in the Dome...

Working class people who could not pay 15-25-45k per seat...

Sometimes I feel like a soldier who fights on after seeing half of his platoon killed...

You can’t help but wonder how much stronger our fan base would be with those  “soldiers” still here...

*end rant*

NCFalconfan, putnam6 and JeffAtl like this

The Falcons are] mandating fans purchase season tickets and accompanying personal seat licenses (PSLs) that range from $500 to $45,000 per seat to get into that building, on top of the cost of admission ($55 to $385 per ticket).

There will be no sale of single-game tickets. This has been the Falcons’ public stance all along, but it never seemed realistic until now. They’ve sold approximately 55,000 of 61,000 available PSLs and they’re confident the final 6,000 will go in the next eight weeks.

Suddenly that cheap beer doesn’t sound so great.

The PSLs should make Arthur Blank a cool $250 million, according to the AJC. The Falcons will also receive $200 million in tax money on top of that along with more tax money to help with maintenance and repair over the next 30 years. The stadium cost around $1.5 billion to build, but Blank will receive all revenue from the stadium despite its status as a public venue. It shouldn’t take too long for him to recoup the money he put down.

The ticket policy makes sense for Blank from a financial standpoint, but alienating fans who can’t afford season tickets may not be the best strategy considering how much funding he’s getting from the public.

And, no, this is not a common practice with new NFL stadiums. The Vikings, who opened a new stadium in 2016, are selling single-game tickets. Same goes for the 49ers, who opened their new stadium in 2014.