g-dawg

Opportunity Cost - Players Falcons couldn't draft because of Kaleb McGary trade-up

147 posts in this topic

Good write up. I’m like you in that it was boring with no picks. But in reality there weren’t a ton of players we might have drafted. Ferguson and Harris and Crosby stand out. I prefer cominsky over Ferguson and Ollie over Harris so in the end I’m happy with the turnout. The green pick was just awesome in the sixth, I love that kid

B_84falcons, Rings and PokerSteve like this

We got players we targeted. Did we miss some targets too?....Yes, but all in all, we had a good draft and addressed some weaknesses.

There's still many talented players out there that we can bring in....Its nowhere near over building this team.

Agreed.  I actually didn't like the trade up.

But it's not even that it's wrong if one of those 10 blow up.  One of those guys probably will be great.  But we were only going to get to select one.  The likelihood that that one blows up is unlikely.

So we'd really have to know who the Falcons would have taken there.  I really wanted Khalen Saunders.  So that one will hurt my feelings if he takes off, but I have no idea if they would have even taken him.

If we hadn't traded...we wouldn't get to bet on 10 guys.  We would have had to bet on 1.  And that'd be the only fair way to judge it...pick your guy now, and see if he blows up.

2 minutes ago, Jesus said:

There seemed to be a lot of punters drafted.

A few kickers too. Looking at you Tampa Bay. 

g-dawg likes this

23 minutes ago, Dem Birds said:

Yeah and they wanted Kaleb McGary more than any of them and they got him. 

#logic

12 minutes ago, takeitdown said:

Agreed.  I actually didn't like the trade up.

But it's not even that it's wrong if one of those 10 blow up.  One of those guys probably will be great.  But we were only going to get to select one.  The likelihood that that one blows up is unlikely.

So we'd really have to know who the Falcons would have taken there.  I really wanted Khalen Saunders.  So that one will hurt my feelings if he takes off, but I have no idea if they would have even taken him.

If we hadn't traded...we wouldn't get to bet on 10 guys.  We would have had to bet on 1.  And that'd be the only fair way to judge it...pick your guy now, and see if he blows up.

Well said.   Of the 10 I highlighted, Falcons could only have bet on one.   It was hopefully the right move.

Just now, g-dawg said:

Well said.   Of the 10 I highlighted, Falcons could only have bet on one.   It was hopefully the right move.

Yeah the clear hope is McGary goes great and then you don't even really care.

For value based drafters (the direction I lean toward), the Falcons are always going to be frustrating, because they very much find their guy, and don't see others as equivalent.  If it works, I'm all good.

2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Are you talking to me? I like it

No i was talking to the poster who was mad at the trade up

g-dawg likes this

There’s not even a guarantee those specific guys are available. If we stay at 45 and the rams pick at 31, they likely pick a player that sends a small ripple effect through the remainder of the draft, someone else gets McGary instead of whomever they picked and teams targeting a RT may or may not get the guy they actually picked Friday.