falconidae

Loved the draft, is this the one that pushes the Falcons over the top to winning the super bowl?

46 posts in this topic

I hope so, it's not only my friend 70 that needs rest.

With the Oline they signed in FA, the first two picks and the big back they drafted late added to the already loaded roster, Ryan should have the best Oline he's ever had. Plus the depth to withstand injuries. Wouldn't be surprised to see him put up huge numbers this year, while the run game kicks tail too. ####, Ryan might have enough time in the pocket to finally get the deep ball to Julio delivered in stride.

Way too many times over last 3 years, even though the Oline was highly rated, when the falcons were in an obvious passing or obvious running situations-3rd and long or 3rd and 1, they couldn't get it done. The entire Oline would collapse on Ryan or the RB would get stuffed at the line.

If they can  bring in an extra lineman, Stocker as a FB, hand the ball to Ollison and consistently gain 3 yards on 3rd and 1, this offense will be mighty hard to stop. I doubt I'm the only one who worried the last few years when they got 8 yards on 2nd and 9 and were left with 3rd and 1.

Same with 3rd and long, if they can give Ryan time to find the open man, he'll do that too.

They obviously expect Lindstrum and McGary [ and Carpenter & Brown] to make the difference in those situations.

With the pieces they drafted 3rd day on defense, the fact  they should be playing with the lead much of the time, plus DQ calling the plays; defense could be a nice complement to the offense.

IF DQ can coax good years out of Vic, Takk and Senat, this defense can be surprisingly good.

As disappointing as last year was, Falcons were considered a super bowl team going into the season last year.  Hopefully, this is the year they make it back, and win it.

How about we watch these guys play a snap first before declaring its the best oline Ryan’s ever played behind.

People REALLY need to bring down the expectations for two rookie linemen.

Mathews was a top 10 pick and we all know about the family history... and it still took him a minute to figure it out.

Rookies are going to struggle.

I think it would be wrong for anyone to think we shouldn’t be in the preseason conversation of the teams who have a reasonable chance to win a Super Bowl. 

Ryan was so accurate in 2016 because he had a pocket to step up into when we were in passing situations/3rd downs.  Even when heat was coming off the does he was able to step up, throw and hit his targets without hands in throwing lanes and defenders in his face as he released.

Our offense is going to be one of the best offenses in the league this season, I have no doubt.

This brings us to defense. Too many forget how well our defense was gelling in 2017.  It was all starting to come together, starting to click, the. Next season we get decimated by key injuries to our stars and signal callers. We get those guys back, I like our DT rotation much better this year counting Hagemen (DQ mentioned Hagemen in post draft Press conference when was saying he thought our DT rotation was strong). We also brought back Clayborn and signed Davison.

We do need Oliver to step up. Our secondary is my only concern. But if he plays at least well, our defense with DQ running it can be top 10 in points allowed, especially since our offense should be able to control more of the clock.

Yes, it’s realistically possible this year. 

PokerSteve likes this

I think the player this is most dependent on that doesn't get talked about enough is Freeman. If we get the injury bug Freeman, we aren't going deep. If we get the Pro Bowl Freeman, we will. 

Vandy likes this

23 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

How about we watch these guys play a snap first before declaring its the best oline Ryan’s ever played behind.

Mathews was a top 10 pick and we all know about the family history... and it still took him a minute to figure it out.

2 rookies starting on the OL is rarely a recipe for success.  

And please don’t cite Indy as it’s not applicable.  

4 minutes ago, Power I said:

I think the player this is most dependent on that doesn't get talked about enough is Freeman. If we get the injury bug Freeman, we aren't going deep. If we get the Pro Bowl Freeman, we will. 

Ollison The Destroyer begs to differ...

Super Bowl this year? IDK. I expect Lindstrom to hit the ground running but McGary beating out Sambrailo out the gate isn't a given. Ty wasn't bad to end the season and I don't think they'll rush to get McGary out there is Ty really beats him. But I think this is a draft that keeps the window open for the next five years because you're going to reduce your OL cost going forward. Ty, Carpenter, and Brown were all signed to short term deals with the team flexibility to keep them longer. Mack will have to be replaced as well. At that point, your most expensive OL is probably Matthews, but not for lack of talent. From here, I think they start going defense heavy again. It sets us up well. I think SB 2020 though. 

11 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

ESPECIALLY if you look at who these rookies are going to have to face.

Some of the best dline men in the league are on the schedule this year.

Posted (edited)

People pounding the table for a 1st round DT forget that Senat played really well and was graded even better. If he takes a big jump forward and Grady playing for his big deal, we should be fine another year with what we got at DT. Also Clayborn, Chominksy, and Crawford can all kick inside on long 3rd downs. Davison was brought in to help against the run. Don’t forget Hageman the wildcard. 

Edited by shock

37 minutes ago, vel said:

Super Bowl this year? IDK. I expect Lindstrom to hit the ground running but McGary beating out Sambrailo out the gate isn't a given. Ty wasn't bad to end the season and I don't think they'll rush to get McGary out there is Ty really beats him. But I think this is a draft that keeps the window open for the next five years because you're going to reduce your OL cost going forward. Ty, Carpenter, and Brown were all signed to short term deals with the team flexibility to keep them longer. Mack will have to be replaced as well. At that point, your most expensive OL is probably Matthews, but not for lack of talent. From here, I think they start going defense heavy again. It sets us up well. I think SB 2020 though. 

Schraeder didn’t take long and he was a ufda. All the kid knows football. As long as he’s ready to take over for Ty if something happens we are ok. He struggles against speed rushers and that’s Vic’s only move. Hopefully that will give him valuable experience. 

Ergo Proxy, gazoo, vel and 1 other like this

On 28/4/2019 at 4:21 PM, Sun Tzu 7 said:

As opposed to the veteran clowns who have been strugging for years....................NOPE!   These guys ARE the best line Ryan has ever played behind even though they have never played a snap together.  First time in the modern era that an NFL team can put a former number one draft pick at each position on the line!  

Well done guys!  I am immensely pleased with this draft!

gazoo likes this

I liked the draft but so many questions have to be answered on defense. Will our safeties return to form? Can we generate a consistent pass rush? Will Trufant show some of his former glory? Do we have enough depth? 

For us to win a SB, all of those questions have to be answered with a yes imo. 

Flying Falcon and Vandy like this

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 4:04 PM, falconidae said:

I hope so, it's not only my friend 70 that needs rest.

With the Oline they signed in FA, the first two picks and the big back they drafted late added to the already loaded roster, Ryan should have the best Oline he's ever had. Plus the depth to withstand injuries. Wouldn't be surprised to see him put up huge numbers this year, while the run game kicks tail too. ####, Ryan might have enough time in the pocket to finally get the deep ball to Julio delivered in stride.

Way too many times over last 3 years, even though the Oline was highly rated, when the falcons were in an obvious passing or obvious running situations-3rd and long or 3rd and 1, they couldn't get it done. The entire Oline would collapse on Ryan or the RB would get stuffed at the line.

If they can  bring in an extra lineman, Stocker as a FB, hand the ball to Ollison and consistently gain 3 yards on 3rd and 1, this offense will be mighty hard to stop. I doubt I'm the only one who worried the last few years when they got 8 yards on 2nd and 9 and were left with 3rd and 1.

Same with 3rd and long, if they can give Ryan time to find the open man, he'll do that too.

They obviously expect Lindstrum and McGary [ and Carpenter & Brown] to make the difference in those situations.

With the pieces they drafted 3rd day on defense, the fact  they should be playing with the lead much of the time, plus DQ calling the plays; defense could be a nice complement to the offense.

IF DQ can coax good years out of Vic, Takk and Senat, this defense can be surprisingly good.

As disappointing as last year was, Falcons were considered a super bowl team going into the season last year.  Hopefully, this is the year they make it back, and win it.

LOL...

Flying Falcon likes this

On 4/28/2019 at 4:21 PM, Sun Tzu 7 said:

The vet signings of Brown, Carpenter and Sambrailo should make it to where we don't have to necessarily count on the rookies if they're struggling.  It's not like it was a few years ago where our first rounders had to play because we didn't have anything else.

It's certainly a debate whether this is the best allocation of resources or not, but I can understand the strategy when you need to replace 3/5 of the line on a team trying to win now.  Fix it long term in the draft but bring in some vets to help in the short term.

If you don't end up needing them, that's a good problem to have.

4 hours ago, Power I said:

It would be nice if they kept Tevin Coleman as an insurance policy. 

4 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Of course it is, if Indy can do it, then the Falcons can do it. and, before you say it, they don't have to do it the same exact way. 

Whatever you think about how the Colts managed it, they did manage it and that means it's possible for the Falcons.

There have been several examples last few years that show the Olinemen can  be productive early.  Particularly  early draft picks. No reason to think that Lindstrum and McGary can't do that.

5 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

The Colts did it just last season.

2 hours ago, PK Manley said:

The vet signings of Brown, Carpenter and Sambrailo should make it to where we don't have to necessarily count on the rookies if they're struggling.  It's not like it was a few years ago where our first rounders had to play because we didn't have anything else.

It's certainly a debate whether this is the best allocation of resources or not, but I can understand the strategy when you need to replace 3/5 of the line on a team trying to win now.  Fix it long term in the draft but bring in some vets to help in the short term.

^The correct response. Good job. Looking at or hyper-focusing on the rookies only and forgetting the veterans we got would be a bad take. This OL will work one way or another. I’m not concerned with it over the course of the year. Maybe a few games and gelling? Okay, but we are set up to be reaching fire mid-season and peaking come playoffs.

Also, Defense should be much better with the pieces added, pieces coming back, and year 2&3 players.

DQ about to show why coaching matters moving to full-time DC.

6 hours ago, droopy1592 said:

Schraeder didn’t take long and he was a ufda. All the kid knows football. As long as he’s ready to take over for Ty if something happens we are ok. He struggles against speed rushers and that’s Vic’s only move. Hopefully that will give him valuable experience. 

^Finally, the real reason Vic was kept around for revealed!

oHM3bhj.gif

15 hours ago, PK Manley said:

Yes but are we talking about quantity or quality?

We definitely know what we have from a quantity standpoint but not necessarily quality.

I'm just saying people need to really temper expectations.  Before we even get into the rookie aspect let's not forget the Falcons are changing 3/5 of their offensive line in one offseason.  Swapping out one guy is one thing.  Changing over 1/2 of your oline in one offseason is tough.

The more an oline plays together they better they get.  Next season no one on the oline will be playing next to someone they've played with before.  There is zero familiarity.  Now add that two of those guys could be rookies and facing JJ Watt and Aaron Donald who ragdoll All Pro linemen.

Don't get me wrong.  I appreciate the approach but I don't expect the oline to really get into a groove until the 2nd half of the season and I fully expect growing pains early on.

That's why I'm saying let's take it easy on the SuperBowl and 'greatest oline ever'