tl;dr

McGary vs. DOL

117 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-football/ex-husky-teammates-defend-first-round-nfl-draft-pick-kaleb-mcgary-following-critical-atlanta-article/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=article_inset_1.1

Not quite sure how to get the article to pop up like others do, so here is a link.

DOL is terrible and that's not really a secret, but this was a pretty crappy thing to write just after he got drafted. 

Still, it's nice to see his teammates come to his defense. 

Here ya go..

Ex-Husky teammates defend first-round NFL draft pick Kaleb McGary following critical Atlanta article

Matt Calkins

Originally published April 28, 2019 at 9:25 am Updated April 28, 2019 at 10:07 am

You’ve just been picked in the first round of the NFL draft, and are happier than you can ever remember. It wasn’t long ago that you were battling a heart condition while living in poverty, so you’re celebrating like a Powerball winner.

You get to Atlanta, ready to introduce yourself to the city whose fans have already smothered you with support. Then, a careless newspaper article slams you with an anonymous source.

This is what former Huskies offensive tackle Kaleb McGary just experienced. Less than 24 hours after he realized his dream, the Atlanta Journal Constitution published a story about how he’s “socially awkward,” will “struggle being a big city,” and once “pissed off” his UW teammates by cutting the cord to the speaker system in the weight room.

We don’t know the source, and it’s doubtful we will. But there’s no doubt that the piece stained the rookie’s red carpet.

“Up until that point, I’d felt so welcome by the fans and stuff, and it was actually really cool,” McGary said. “Then all of a sudden it’s like, ‘Oh this guy’s really an *******.’ I was like, ‘Ouch, man. I’ve been here a day!’ “

In a story that gave a “D” grade to Atlanta’s first-round draft choices, AJC reporter D. Orlando Ledbetter talked to an “AFC personnel executive” about McGary and fellow Falcons first-rounder Chris Lindstrom. When asked if there was any “dirt” on either of them (and who asks that?), the executive responded with this.

“(McGary) has been socially awkward. It’s going to be a stretch for him coming in and because he’s not a bad kid, he’s just socially awkward. He’s from a small country town. He just struggles…He’s going to struggle being in a big city for a while.”

No stuff out on social media like Nick Bosa? Ledbetter asked, referring to the former Ohio State defensive lineman who was drafted second overall by the San Francisco 49ers and has been scrutinized for some tweets about political subjects.

“No,” the executive said of McGary. “He’s done some stuff that’s just been socially awkward. One day they play country music and one day they play R&B in the weight room. It was country day, and one of the blacks turned on R&B. (McGary) got pissed off and cut the cord to the whole speaker system in the weight room. All of the whites and blacks were pissed off at him because they couldn’t listen to (any) music. Socially awkward stuff. Not racist. He just has to grow up stuff.”

Uh … can you see why McGary might be ticked?

An anonymous source would have been fine if the info had been solely related to football. But it’s not OK when you’re dissecting a man’s character. And even if the source had gone on the record, he doesn’t seem to know much about the guy he’s slighting.

For starters, Seattle is a “big city” with about 200,000 more people than Atlanta, and McGary has been here for five years. Pretty sure he’s adjusted.

Second, McGary was one of the best quotes on the Huskies — and suggesting he might be socially awkward is an easy way to make a former teammate chuckle.

“That guy is not socially awkward. That guy is one of the best guys I’ve ever been around,” Huskies guard Nick Harris said of McGary. “I have the most fun with that guy. Whoever wrote that does not know what he’s talking about.”

Added Huskies left tackle Trey Adams: “I’m sure the guy who said that is probably socially awkward.”

I reached out to Ledbetter, who seems like a nice enough guy, but he didn’t want to comment on anything in his piece. He just asked that it be known that, after the story came out, he asked McGary about the cord-cutting incident in person, but Kaleb declined to comment. McGary wouldn’t elaborate with me, either, but said to ask former teammates.

Fair enough.

According to Adams, “white-boy Wednesdays” is when UW players listen to country and rock music in the locker room. But on one particular Wednesday five years ago, a player insisted on playing rap, which prompted McGary to pull out a buck knife and cut the auxiliary cord.

Weird? Yes. But Adams said it was a joke and added that players were laughing.

Former Huskies defensive back Kevin King tweeted that he appreciated McGary taking the action he did in that situation, adding “that’s the type of o-lineman you want! He’s a GREAT teammate and better man.”

Former Huskies receiver John Ross came to his defense as well.

“Story not accurate,” Ross tweeted. “And this was like five years ago. Let the man live his moment.”

Can’t really put it better than that.

McGary lived in an RV in Fife after his family lost its farm during the Great Recession. He’s had three procedures to repair the heart arrhythmia that almost cost him his career. Then on Thursday, when the Falcons took him with the 31st pick, he became the first Husky lineman to go in the first round in 26 years.

There was no reason to sully that.

Fortunately, McGary seems to have moved on. In fact, the support he’s received has almost heightened his dream come true.

“I actually feel pretty good about everything, though, because a lot of my fans have had my back on it,” McGary said. And my teammates, Kevin King, John Ross, they leapt to my defense. It’s awesome. I can’t tell you how good that makes you feel inside.”

Sounds about right. McGary is 6 feet 7 and 317 pounds.

He’s always gonna be the bigger man.

OMG what a flaming &s@le DOL is. What a prick. This is gutter level character assassination using an anonymous source to even mention the word  racism  in respect to that incident and to smear his person like this.

Don’t ever forget the AJC selling Sunday papers outside the GA Dome before a Saints Game that had full double page “GO SAINTS” handouts in them. 

The AJC doesn’t represent its fans . If the hometown Panthers, Saints, Bills or Eagles newspaper had done that they would have been out of business within a year.

Can they please fire this troll? He was probably butthurt we didn't take who he wanted just like Gurley all over again. Falcons need to ban him from press conferences and force the AJC to move on from him. This was incredibly douchey and disrespectful. Let this kid have his moment. 

7 minutes ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

That kind of bush league bull crap should get DLed fired. He’s a second (or third) rate writer to begin with and then to publish this BS? AJC should be ashamed of this and of DL

The beat writers for other papers in NFL cities are in whole monumentally smarter, provide far more insightful and in depth analysis, and don’t hang out in sewers to dredge up filth and smears like DOL. listen to DOL trying to bring politics into it, probably assuming he’s said positive things about Trump so he can create controversy for the kid who just wants to play football and destroy opponents.

i don’t get really POd that much, but this really is another low spot for the AJC

7 minutes ago, Dem Birds said:

Can they please fire this troll? He was probably butthurt we didn't take who he wanted just like Gurley all over again. Falcons need to ban him from press conferences and force the AJC to move on from him. This was incredibly douchey and disrespectful. Let this kid have his moment. 

May be AJC doesn’t want to pay a real reporter. 

10 minutes ago, gazoo said:

The beat writers for other papers in NFL cities are in whole monumentally smarter, provide far more insightful and in depth analysis, and don’t hang out in sewers to dredge up filth and smears like DOL. listen to DOL trying to bring politics into it, probably assuming he’s said positive things about Trump so he can create controversy for the kid who just wants to play football and destroy opponents.

i don’t get really POd that much, but this really is another low spot for the AJC

i'm impressed you can actually understand what he's saying

gazoo, m2Falcons and gkgrimes like this

16 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

I am convinced DOL posts here on TATF. Some of the WTF posts here match with DOL.

And I think I know exactly who it might be.

falcons007 and gazoo like this

Fire this piece of trash. How much more unprofessional are they going to allow him to be? Meanwhile guys with conviction like Jay Adams get canned, but this piece of **** always gets a pass? 

DOL has been an embarrassment to this franchise for a decade. **** this idiot.