Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vel

Kaleb Mcgary: Why understanding scheme and technique is important in player evaluation

54 posts in this topic

On 4/29/2019 at 5:41 AM, Falconsin2012 said:

We don’t know that, bro.  Hopefully he is.  But we addressed the Guard position as nauseum in FA.  We have 4 quality starting OG’s.  Is Lindstrom better..he will be soon.  But we have a SB window next year.

If we were willing to waste draft capital, go get Ed Oliver.  That was an area of need.  Move up for Wilkins.  That helps next year.  

Regardless, just my uneducated opinion.  No worries

I mentioned this a couple of days before the draft there was just too much noise about us being connected toWilkins and Oliver and I myself bought into alot of it.

I then mentioned it a couple of days out no way we are letting the world no who we really want so EO & Wilkins were just noise and we went completely opposite.

The FA thing buys these draft picks time if they are good enough to start we have easy outs next off season.If they take there time to develop we have NFL starters to hold it down until they are ready.Alot will say we over payed here but it’s pretty smart really.

MSalmon and FalconsIn2012 like this

I'm a Gators fan and watched a lot of Jawaan Taylor once he started climbing boards and it seemed the Falcons would have a need at RT or OG. I still like Taylor and he gets the job done well but he blocks very passively compared to McGary. McGary tries to completely bury guys on every play. 

Ovie_Lover, Stryka and Drew4719 like this

4 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

I'm a Gators fan and watched a lot of Jawaan Taylor once he started climbing boards and it seemed the Falcons would have a need at RT or OG. I still like Taylor and he gets the job done well but he blocks very passively compared to McGary. McGary tries to completely bury guys on every play. 

That's the thing. McGary is taught to take the fight to guys vs the traditional wait and react/catch type. That's his game and that's how he plays and it works for him. It's not always pretty, which is what threw me off initially. But once you understand that he knows he will lose some fights and he's putting himself and the QB in a position to still survive if he loses, then I can live with that a lot better. I'd rather my OT losing 5-7 yards from the QB versus backing up into his lap 2-3 yards from him. 

Plus, McGary is just nasty. Like you said, he's literally trying to put a guys dlck in the dirt every snap. I love it. 

Stryka and Drew4719 like this