Monolith2001

Our RB situation

18 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

So I've been pouring over film trying to get familiar with all of our picks.  The fact that we picked up TWO RBs (Green will be a RB) caught me totally off guard.  Our current RB room looks as follows:

• Devonta Freeman
  • Ito Smith
  • Brian Hill
  • Jeremy Langford
  • Kenyon Barner
  • Qadree Ollison
  • Marcus Green

I was shocked that we got two more RBs.  It didn't make sense at first but DQ has laid out specific roles for both guys saying that QO will be four-down back and specifically calling out Green as a Teco replacement (it hit me watching film why this could be awesome).  Assuming Free is healthy, this almost immediately puts Langford and Hill in a tough spot.  Barner would need to be cut as one would assume Green will be our returner.   Even Ito would be inactive unless Qadree will be a FB or we start carrying four RBs + FB on the 53.

I was one who was fine with rolling with the guys we had but QO looks every bit the "big back" we wanted but I am so enamored with Marcus Green.   We have a speedy runner with pretty good vision and balance who literally has the hands of a WR...and can return punts....I LOVE THIS PICK!!!  Thoughts on RB situation.

Edited by Monolith2001

Curious to see if Ollison gets some looks at TE.. He's played it before and has good hands. Either way, im a big Ollison fan.. Came out of the same program as Conner which is known for producing exceptional rb's

falcons007 likes this

We also supposedly signed RB Tony Brooks-James out of Oregon as a UDFA.

EUGENE — Tony Brooks-James is headed to the Southeast.

The former Oregon running back signed as an undrafted free agent with the Atlanta Falcons.

Brooks-James had 21 kickoff returns for 548 yards last season and his 26.1-yard average return ranked 21st nationally. He also had 57 carries for 306 yards and four touchdowns last season, but also had four fumbles, two of them lost, with three coming on kickoff returns.

12 hours ago, Monolith2001 said:

So I've been pouring over film trying to get familiar with all of our picks.  The fact that we picked up TWO RBs (Green will be a RB) caught me totally off guard.  Our current RB room looks as follows:

• Devonta Freeman
  • Ito Smith
  • Brian Hill
  • Jeremy Langford
  • Kenyon Barner
  • Qadree Ollison
  • Marcus Green

I was shocked that we got two more RBs.  It didn't make sense at first but DQ has laid out specific roles for both guys saying that QO will be four-down back and specifically calling out Green as a Teco replacement (it hit me watching film why this could be awesome).  Assuming Free is healthy, this almost immediately puts Langford and Hill in a tough spot.  Barner would need to be cut as one would assume Green will be our returner.   Even Ito would be inactive unless Qadree will be a FB or we start carrying four RBs + FB on the 53.

I was one who was fine with rolling with the guys we had but QO looks every bit the "big back" we wanted but I am so enamored with Marcus Green.   We have a speedy runner with pretty good vision and balance who literally has the hands of a WR...and can return punts....I LOVE THIS PICK!!!  Thoughts on RB situation.

I’m breaking with not quoting as this is so good a write up. I love it!

Monolith2001 and Knight of God like this

12 hours ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Curious to see if Ollison gets some looks at TE.. He's played it before and has good hands. Either way, im a big Ollison fan.. Came out of the same program as Conner which is known for producing exceptional rb's

Throw him out wide with Julio in the slot next to him. Go ahead NFL cover that.

12 hours ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

4 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Throw him out wide with Julio in the slot next to him. Go ahead NFL cover that.

Marcus Green was a WR, he may give fits to the LB with wheel routes out of back field or motion to slot before the snap.

I’m going to go out on a little bit of a limb here and say that our RB depth at season’s start will look a little something like this:

Jacquizz Rodgers
Jacquizz Rodgers
Jacquizz Rodgers

3rd down back: Jacquizz Rodgers
Short yardage back: Jacquizz Rodgers

I could be wrong though. 

falconsd56 and NWFALCON like this

10 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

The last time that DK was here we carried 4 backs + a fullback so  I could see that happening again.

Say what you want about the offseason.... Training camp is going to have some very very interesting  battles

I heard Quinn say in the post draft press conference that we would indeed carry 4 backs though I would guess that one would be inactive game days.