Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
falcons007

DQ did exactly what he said on January 3rd in EOY Press conference

33 posts in this topic

Why is any one surprised the way the draft went and make it sound like TD and DQ panicked. DQ at end of the year wanted these 3 key changes on Offense, after taking over the defense. 

1.  Quinn: 'I'm comfortable at C and LT, past that, you scrub every bit of it.'

The DQ and TD went and drafted first round picks who are expected to contribute immediately. 

The falcons will most likely have 3 new players as starters on the OL. Chris Lindstorm, Either Brown/Carpenter. and McGary/ Sambarillo. 

https://929thegame.radio.com/articles/atlanta-falcons-could-look-replace-three-offensive-linemen-2019

2. DQ: I want to see more physicality and close out the game by running the ball more. Run game helps in pass protection when you hit the defense in the mouth with strong run game. 

Mike Mularky is a ground and pound guy, who is expected to help in run game from coaching staff. The Offensive Line overhaul should probably help along with healthy freeman. 

Drafted a big RB in Qadree Ollison. Ollison scouting review was a big back/blocker who can get tough yards and run between tackles to close out games in 4th quarter with lead. 

3. DQ: " Not happy with depth around 2s and 3s, got exposed when hit the tough middle of the season schedule" 

The falcons added two first round picks, Carpenter and Brown. The depth at least on paper is much better than Last years Ryan Schrader, Beedles, Fusco, Wes and Ben Garland. 

The Falcons have been investing top 1-2 rounds on defense most of the last 10 years and on skill position on offense. It is high time they invested in OL and avoid stop gap journey lineman. I am happy with the draft because Grady, Debo and Neal would be paid and offense can't get away with signing expensive top tier FA.

The off season has grown on me the more I have looked into it.

Like you mention OP and Falconaide mentioned it on another thread.The FO have been putting this information out there but like myself a lot refused to see it.

Its taken 24 hours but you can now exactly see what the plan is and how the picks fit exactly what this team is and wants to be.

Onething I love about those day 3 picks is the speed drafted good lord if they had a sprint relay race I gotta think the Falcons have some of the quickest guys in the NFL.

Really like how they attacked the draft. Just wish they spent their limited money in FA a bit better. 

Oline was a big problem last year but so was the pass rush. 

One unit got a huge upgrade. The other not so much. Both are very, very important if you want to be playing in the new year. 

6 minutes ago, Bobby.Digital said:

Really like how they attacked the draft. Just wish they spent their limited money in FA a bit better. 

One unit got a huge upgrade. The other not so much. Both are very, very important if you want to be playing in the new year. 

You noticed the money being thrown around to FA DL??? We couldnt afford any of them because we had to address depth and several positions. 

We did upgrade the DL.  Davidson is a massive upgrade over journeyman McClain. Hageman brings rotational depth and he seems motivated to be more than just that. Odom another solid guy who has experience starting in NFL. DQ dedicating his time to being the DC is an upgrade over Manuel. Another massive one. 

I think you will see Senat develop, Crawford was overused and will be more effective as nickel rusher in less snaps. Grady has shown he is still on an ascent. I think this team will look vastly different on defense. 

Thanks to Blank...he is making Quinn do what he does best. 

14 minutes ago, Bobby.Digital said:

Pass rush has been a problem for last 10 years.  I guess DQ is betting on improvement like second half of 2016 when he took over the defense. It’s an unknown, we will see. 

Bobby.Digital likes this

29 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

But but they didn’t pick the guy High on my draft board after watching YouTube videos. 

THEY DIDN'T?!?! TIME TO CLEAN HOUSE!! Fire TD DQ SP and blank must sell the team how dare they??!

falcons007 and Falcon@Denmark like this

Posted (edited)

20 minutes ago, Stryka said:

You noticed the money being thrown around to FA DL??? We couldnt afford any of them because we had to address depth and several positions. 

We did upgrade the DL.  Davidson is a massive upgrade over journeyman McClain. Hageman brings rotational depth and he seems motivated to be more than just that. Odom another solid guy who has experience starting in NFL. DQ dedicating his time to being the DC is an upgrade over Manuel. Another massive one. 

I think you will see Senat develop, Crawford was overused and will be more effective as nickel rusher in less snaps. Grady has shown he is still on an ascent. I think this team will look vastly different on defense. 

Thanks to Blank...he is making Quinn do what he does best. 

We had money to go after pass rushers.

For example, Justin Houston is making 14 mil while we're paying Vic 12.8. 

Matt Ioadonnis was signed for 7 mil per and would have been the perfect interior pass rusher to bring in on a budget. 

We instead decided to spend most of our money on the oline (Brown, Carpenter and TY) then used our first 3 picks on olineman. Overkill imo and definently a bit of a miss (planning wise) on the FO. 

Also I specified pass rush for a reason. Our run D will be better forsure. However there's a legitimate argument that our pass rush got worse. Odom has never recorded a sack in the NFL, Clayborn is coming off a 2 sack season and Hageman has been out of the game for 2 years. 

For a team that was 25th DVOA rushing the passer (22nd in sacks) addressed the positon like we're top 10. 

I have no idea how the FO is comfortable with what we have rushing the passer. But mabry DQ can work some magic and get us to where we need to be. We'll see. 

Edited by Bobby.Digital
Vandy and Flying Falcon like this

With debo, neal, rico and kazee we will get better at defense and maybe get somo coverage sacks... I dont care much about sacks I want TURNOvERS... we will be better at that regard with this guys healthy again...

falcons007 likes this

4 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

The off season has grown on me the more I have looked into it.

Like you mention OP and Falconaide mentioned it on another thread.The FO have been putting this information out there but like myself a lot refused to see it.

Its taken 24 hours but you can now exactly see what the plan is and how the picks fit exactly what this team is and wants to be.

Onething I love about those day 3 picks is the speed drafted good lord if they had a sprint relay race I gotta think the Falcons have some of the quickest guys in the NFL.

I am excited about the fast CB, they have a year to back up behind Kazee, Tru and Oliver.

kiwifalcon likes this

3 hours ago, Bobby.Digital said:

Matt Ioadonnis was signed for 7 mil per and would have been the perfect interior pass rusher to bring in on a budget. 

We instead decided to spend most of our money on the oline (Brown, Carpenter and TY) then used our first 3 picks on olineman. Overkill imo and definently a bit of a miss (planning wise) on the FO. 

Also I specified pass rush for a reason. Our run D will be better forsure. However there's a legitimate argument that our pass rush got worse. Odom has never recorded a sack in the NFL, Clayborn is coming off a 2 sack season and Hageman has been out of the game for 2 years. 

For a team that was 25th DVOA rushing the passer (22nd in sacks) addressed the positon like we're top 10. 

I have no idea how the FO is comfortable with what we have rushing the passer. But mabry DQ can work some magic and get us to where we need to be. We'll see. 

I believe the team just had enough of Ryan being hit as many times as he was last season, and if youre going to fix something.. Make **** sure its fixed.. And imo quinn and td did that. If Ryan goes out a few games, dosnt matter who we have on the dline, we're gonna get some L's.. FO made some very educated decisions and I believe they are the correct ones 

TD knows he is partially responsible for the coordinators getting fired.  This offseason he knows he has to fix his mistakes. 

The outside tosses, jet sweeps  ,etc. On 3 and 4th down. 

TD fault: building an OL incapable of blocking long enough to pick up negative yards without Ryan having ball knocked out his hands. 

Sark fault- relying on WRs and TEs to provide blocking in run game. Unable to be creative (maybe use a DL at fullback ,have TE cut inside to help C seal DT, Fullback crash down on DE, have Shraeder pancake chasing LB / Safety. 

TD fault- building defense strictly to fit 1 scheme.  

MM fault- having defense wait and react to keep  any runner that can run faster than a 7.00 and ability to stop  breaking 6 tackles by defenders running past the play.

MM- maybe have VB in middle spying RB allowing him a key to become 4th pass rusher. Have DBs for runners inside to VB and Campbell. 

Some fault to the players for not being very good. 

Now you have run blockers, run stoppers, pass blockers ,pass rushers

Coach with history of building smashmouth OL (jville MJD, Atlanta,  only good thing about tenn.

Defensive coach with a little success using different talents to field a respectable DL in Seattle. 

Anyone who really knows what will happen (besides the team having quality options on any play) like believing their own lies.

Will the team win the SB? IDK as long as the offense haters ,defensive haters, and  TD blamers are wrong. 

Maybe this can really become a place to TATF for actual discussion and not CNN/FOX football channel 

Falcon Blitz and falcons007 like this

5 hours ago, Bobby.Digital said:

We could have done that if that was the plan but it wasn’t.

I think there n the defensive front the plan is sell out on the run make sure they get this in order before anything if we do our fast 4 get more opportunities that’s my thinking on the defense.

I also think the Oline expenditure has more of a eyes foward line of thinking in the age stakes and financial stakes also.Theyve also grabbed 2 very physical guys and Ergo Proxy had a very good explanation in another thread explaining this.

Also think the plan will be more Ball control and short yardage focus.Keeping the defense fresh and off the field.

If the offense can come and do this I think this releases the part of the game you are concerned about.

falcons007 likes this

I love defensive picks but have mentioned several times that we haven’t drafted OL high in years. 

I think a lot of people wanted OL before Carpenter/Brown signings but then forgot about it.

After that, people wanted THEIR choice for OL. 

A lot of people LOVED Lindstrom in the second, so why not the first? People were banging the table for Ford, but when I looked it up, Lindstrom is actually BIGGER than Ford and has better measurables. 

So, I’m sold. The CBs are iffy to me. Love the high ceiling of Cominsky. Day 3 could be a bust, but I think we nailed our first two picks. 

6 hours ago, NeonDeion said:

I love defensive picks but have mentioned several times that we haven’t drafted OL high in years. 

I think a lot of people wanted OL before Carpenter/Brown signings but then forgot about it.

After that, people wanted THEIR choice for OL. 

A lot of people LOVED Lindstrom in the second, so why not the first? People were banging the table for Ford, but when I looked it up, Lindstrom is actually BIGGER than Ford and has better measurables. 

So, I’m sold. The CBs are iffy to me. Love the high ceiling of Cominsky. Day 3 could be a bust, but I think we nailed our first two picks. 

The draft boards of guys watching YouTube videos and team draft boards are entirely different. Instead of saying they were wrong, the argument is player was over drafted.

14 hours ago, falcons007 said:

But but they didn’t pick the guy High on my draft board after watching YouTube videos. 

Haha, I literally laughed out loud here. 

13 hours ago, Bobby.Digital said:

Trying to understand the logic. You state Houston makes 14 and Vic makes 12.8. How do we get Houston for the same price? 

Matt Loanadis is a solid guy. Nothing more. Doesnt bring any more value than Davidson. Less if you ask me. Hageman is proven in this league. L. Bell got a big contract after a year removed. They didnt just forget how to play football bro. 

Jamon and James the 2 guards are temporary fixes and also here for depth. When we got hurt last year we had to rely on a 6th round pick and a journeyman at G. This year we invested into keeping our 150 million dollar QB upright but also got beef to sustain and improve the run game. The 2 FA additions are 320 plus. Lindstrom is 330 and McGary is 320. We are investing for now and the future. Armchair GMs never seem to understand that when they say teams over/under invested. 

You gotta look at more than just stats. Clayborn is a pressure creator. He gets QBs off balance. He is consistently applying pressure even if he doesnt get home. 

DQ is now the DC. He's 10 times better at generating pass rush than Manuel. He will get the best out of Vic and Takk. Means has potential too. Senat should improve in year 2. Grady is still getting better. Davidson and Hageman improve the pass D by improving the run D. They coincide. Hageman also has ability to get to QB. @gazoo posted a crazy stat where Hageman was 4th of all DL in a pass rush metric in 2016. 

14 hours ago, Bobby.Digital said:

Pretty much my thoughts as well Bobby D, it sure looks like it was OL overkill to me, and not near enough done to improve the D.  I think we are lone rangers on that take, however, so prepare to be crushed until/unless proven otherwise. 

Posted (edited)

22 hours ago, Stryka said:

Trying to understand the logic. You state Houston makes 14 and Vic makes 12.8. How do we get Houston for the same price? 

Matt Loanadis is a solid guy. Nothing more. Doesnt bring any more value than Davidson. Less if you ask me. Hageman is proven in this league. L. Bell got a big contract after a year removed. They didnt just forget how to play football bro. 

Jamon and James the 2 guards are temporary fixes and also here for depth. When we got hurt last year we had to rely on a 6th round pick and a journeyman at G. This year we invested into keeping our 150 million dollar QB upright but also got beef to sustain and improve the run game. The 2 FA additions are 320 plus. Lindstrom is 330 and McGary is 320. We are investing for now and the future. Armchair GMs never seem to understand that when they say teams over/under invested. 

You gotta look at more than just stats. Clayborn is a pressure creator. He gets QBs off balance. He is consistently applying pressure even if he doesnt get home. 

DQ is now the DC. He's 10 times better at generating pass rush than Manuel. He will get the best out of Vic and Takk. Means has potential too. Senat should improve in year 2. Grady is still getting better. Davidson and Hageman improve the pass D by improving the run D. They coincide. Hageman also has ability to get to QB. @gazoo posted a crazy stat where Hageman was 4th of all DL in a pass rush metric in 2016. 

We don't get Houston for the same price as Beasley. We pay him what he got and sacrifice somewhere else. The difference in pay is like 2 million dollars so it's not like it would be a huge sacrifice. 

Give me Houston over Vic + depth guard all day. Y'all realise how bad Vic has been over the last two seasons? He's not a threat in slightest right now. The chances of him taking some huge step foward because Quinn is calling plays are slim. You don't think Quinn was trying to unleash him the last two seasons? In his own words he's was trying.

You guys talk about Quinn like he's some pass rushing god. The highest DVOA our pass rush has ever posted under him was 15th in 2017. Highest sack total was tied for 13th in 2017. 

Davidson and Iaodonnis are two completley different players. Good interior pass rushers are much more valuable than 2 down run pluggers. There's a reason why Iaodonnis is getting paid 7.5 mil per while Davidson is making the leauge minimum. 

Also you don't take a G 14 overall to have him sit. Lindstrom is a day 1 starter. For the capital we gave up for McGrady he should be a day 1 starter as well. Those were NOW moves just as much as they're future moves. That leaves us with expensive depth in Fusco, Carpenter/Brown and TY. One or two of them is cool. But 3 is completely overkill with needs elsewhere. 

Trying to make the comparison with Hageman and Bell is crazy. Hageman was an inconsistent depth DT who at his peak could cause havoc in limited playing time with sheer athleticism. Bell is one of the best techincally refined runningbacks in the last 25 years who produces game over game. There's no question what you're getting with Bell, Hagman on the other hand who knows. Even when he was playing you didn't even know what you were getting on a game to game basis. 

Anyways it might sound like I'm a DQ/TD hater but I'm not at all. I'd resign them for 5 years right now if I could. I just think they went overkill on the oline with the dline needing big upgrades. We'll see how it plays out.

Edited by Bobby.Digital
Flying Falcon, falcons007 and Vandy like this