LTMcAuliffe

Most improved teams after the draft

85 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Draftnut57 said:

No,, I disagree, We never would have won with Sark, Never !!  The best thing that has happen this off season has been the firing of Sark and getting an OC back that we can go to a SB with.. I don't care if we had 50 picks in this Draft, without the right OC,, Forget it.. more Ls than Ws... 

@Falconsin2012 is right. This was a SB roster over the last 3 years. Sark isn’t part of the roster. But even then WITH sark we were in the second round of the playoffs in 2017 and probably back in the playoffs last year had we not sustained all those major defensive injuries. 

4 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

@Falconsin2012 is right. This was a SB roster over the last 3 years. Sark isn’t part of the roster. But even then WITH sark we were in the second round of the playoffs in 2017 and probably back in the playoffs last year had we not sustained all those major defensive injuries. 

Do you like the corners we drafted? Are you content with our backup safeties? Do you think Lindstrom's size will cause him to have similar problems to Wes against huge defensive tackles with good bulk rush in pass protection? 

TheFatboi likes this

3 minutes ago, ShadyRef said:

Do you like the corners we drafted? Are you content with our backup safeties? Do you think Lindstrom's size will cause him to have similar problems to Wes against huge defensive tackles with good bulk rush in pass protection? 

I think we understand what we have as starters the picture I’ve taken from this draft is filling in the depth for the most part and insulating yourself against what happend last year.

Ill say it again it will be what happens off the field is more important to what actually happens on it.

ShadyRef and FalconsIn2020 like this

22 minutes ago, Draftnut57 said:

No,, I disagree, We never would have won with Sark, Never !!  The best thing that has happen this off season has been the firing of Sark and getting an OC back that we can go to a SB with.. I don't care if we had 50 picks in this Draft, without the right OC,, Forget it.. more Ls than Ws... 

He said roster, not coaching staff. You are right that with Sark, there was no chance of a a super bowl. However, with a better OC, the roster has the talent to win a super bowl.

Draftnut57 likes this

3 hours ago, Beef said:

If we can get back to scoring 30+ ppg, we can go 11-5 with our eyes closed.

If we can avoid the defensive injury bug, our defense can be top-15 in scoring.

That is a recipe for a SB run.

But 26 ppg, 42 Matt Ryan sacks, starters out all over the place, and a bottom third defense and we’re 8-8.

Did we do enough to improve and get back to the former?

My personal feeling is the offense might have, but the defense probably not.

I fear another sub-30 sack season for the D, and the secondary is leaky as a fire hose.

The #1 to #3 offense still can’t carry a #25 defense. Sure that can win a division, but it’s not beating every playoff team.

Sucks, but this is my gut feeling until I see how everyone has come back from injury and how our additions on defense show out in pre/early season.

I like your take on the Offense.

I disagree on the Defense. Here's why

Dan Quinn is the DC now. It matters. Coaching matters. Period.

And besides Objectively we have upgrades on Defense already:

FS Allen = The Captain; we don't allow big plays with him at FS. Just don't.

SS Neal >>>>> Richards & still better than Neas

1T Davison >>> McClain

RCB Isaiah Oliver; Rocky had a TURRIBLE season; in the words of @FalconFanSince1970 or more recently @Drew4719

MLB has Debo instead of Duke/Foye/Carter combinations for most of the season. YIKES!

Added to-

Year 2 Foye and Senat....Year 3 Kazee and Takk

AC is back and Hageman is out to redeem himself

Plus, we just addressed CB depth, got a highly sought after Day 3 DL gem that DQ is gonna mold personally...

Oh, and VB is in a contract year. If the chance at $100M doesn't motivate a professional football player nothing will. DQ is riding that contract year to an impact year for us; VB or not post 2019.

So, in conclusion the run Defense is better in the front 7 and Neal in the box helps too. Also, the Pass D will be better in the secondary ALONE. Then, you gotta think DQ can get a DL to produce as the DC. Why not? 3 first round DEs, a franchise DT that is entering his prime, and some rotational pieces inside like Crawford and hopefully Cominsky.

14 minutes ago, ShadyRef said:

I like the corners a lot. I don’t think Lindstrom will have the same issues as wes because he has elite athletic ability and he’s nasty. 

1 hour ago, Jesus said:

Defense needs turnovers. That's how Quinn's defenses work. Get the takeaways and the sacks don't matter.

***Inserts a typical Smitty out of context quote with triggered response***:troll:

Drew4719, Flyin' In DC and Jesus like this

1 hour ago, TheFatboi said:

We were the Eagles toughest out in their SB run...last year is irrelevant.  That team took the field Week 1, held Philly to 230 yards and went to IR

Anyone who doesn’t think our roster, prior to the draft, was capable of a title is mistaken.  TD has built a healthy and powerful roster.  Just thin on defensive depth

1 hour ago, LightningDawg58 said:

Our offense in 2016 was the 7th best in the entire history of the NFL. Its very unrealistic to expect us to get back and/or maintain that level of production year to year, otherwise what we did that year wouldnt have been so special. I would recommend that we learn to appreciate it for what is was, which was a rare, all-time great year. We can and should be improved in 2019, we have all the tools to be dominant, but if we ever match that 2016 level again I will be very surprised.

The defense will benefit from an offense that can better control the ball. The defense will benefit from having two pro bowl caliber starters back at safety, the defensive line will benefit from Clayborn returning and Senat having a year under his belt. There is a lot of youth at corner but dang do we have some athletes at that spot, Foye, Devondre and Deion are now settled in as an LB unit. 

And dont forget the biggest addition on defense, coach Q. He will be coaching his *** off next year trying to keep his job. This defense is in his hands, I trust he will get the most out of the guys on the roster and will be very aggressive as a playcaller.

Im looking forward to the upcoming season and what we can do

On paper I’d argue that the offense is comparable, personnel wise, to the 2016 roster. If the O-Line gels quickly then it’s better hands down. The x-factor is play calling as Shannahan called the season of his life. DK is no slouch though with a stable strong O-Line he will carve defenses up. 

46 minutes ago, ShadyRef said:

Do you know how big Lindstrom is? Kazee and Wilcox are both guys who started and were good players in the NFL. 

Let me guess....you think Lindstrom is 295 lbs.....He's 330. 

Kazee lead league in INTs. 

Trufant is still a good CB. Oliver can be one and guys we drafted are potential sleepers. 

Ergo Proxy and ShadyRef like this

1 minute ago, Stryka said:

Do you know how big Lindstrom is? Kazee and Wilcox are both guys who started and were good players in the NFL. 

Let me guess....you think Lindstrom is 295 lbs.....He's 330

Kazee lead league in INTs. 

Trufant is still a good CB. Oliver can be one and guys we drafted are potential sleepers. 

I had no idea. Can you provide a link? Most scouting reports have him listed at 309.

49 minutes ago, ShadyRef said:

Do you think Lindstrom's size will cause him to have similar problems to Wes against huge defensive tackles with good bulk rush in pass protection?

I am sure this will be his steepest learning curve. College football can't prepare you for the size speed and technique at the NFL level. But he comes from a family that has taught him physical and mental prowess. Love what a senior writer at the Draft Network wrote about him last fall: 

Because of his blend of power, mobility and technique, Lindstrom is a universal scheme fit which increases his NFL valuation. He doesn't limit the scheme in any ways and allows for multiplicity in what his offense can run.

My favorite thing about Lindstrom is that he is a finisher. When he has the chance to bury an opponent and put him on his back, Lindstrom takes full advantage.

It isn't hard to find examples of Lindstrom pancaking defenders and blocking through the whistle; it's littered throughout his tape. That mentality speaks to his competitive toughness and the demeanor the NFL wants in its blockers.

Want to see a grown man move another grown man against his will and snatch his soul? Check out this next rep. This is a terrific showcase of Lindstrom's ability to fit his hands, leverage his hips, accelerate his feet, stay square and maul in the run game.

ShadyRef likes this

6 minutes ago, vitaman said:

Thanks man. I saw he weighed much less than Jamon and Carpenter. Because of our lack of size in the middle in years past, all teams had to do was bull rush or lightweight athletic guards in to Matt Ryan's lap.

That was why I started to wonder if,  at that size, he will be Alex mack's eventual replacement plan.  But if there is overwhelming confidence by you guys that his size won't be a problem, it gets me even more excited than I already am. I know he will be very solid in the run game. Was just worried about him holding up against bull rushes in pass protection. 

Did you see his stats last year? No sacks, no qb hits allowed and only 3 hurries. And went against Clemson and their 3 first rounders. He’s a stud, his RAS grade is higher than any offensive lineman we have ever had since they started keeping that score. 

1 hour ago, Stryka said:

What?!?!?!

Davidson and Hageman mean nothing? 

Clayborn isnt a good player? 

Wilcox isnt solid depth at S? 

We didnt draft anybody? 

Im confused. 

None of those guys are difference makers, barring breakout years. Davison is interesting, but it’s not like he’s gonna come and be a force for our D. Hageman has been out of football for two years now? None of us know how he’ll do. Wilcox is a backup for a reason. And yes, we drafted nobody. Sheffield and dude from Washington that I can’t be even remember his name are developmental CBs and likely STs guys. This offseason has done nothing to add any true help to the defense. 

6 hours ago, Atlantafan21 said:

The front office better hope so and the offense returns to near 2016 levels. If not, the defense is gonna fall apart due to the lack of talent added via the offseason. 

It’s as if every fan on these boards has forgotten the injuries that decimated a solid as heck defense last season. The Falcons defense is solid. Getting Jones back at the end of the season altered the course of the defense greatly. Things improved quickly. Kazee and Oluokun made huge strides and improvements last season and will now be logging tons of snaps alongside the returning stars, Keke and Rico. Having a full platoon at our disposal and the underrated additions of Davison, Shede and Clayborn, ALL under the defensive helm of one Dan Quinn... is going to be a night and day comparison to last season’s injury-riddled debacle. 

Mark my frickin’ words. 

Drew4719 and Ergo Proxy like this

3 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

The defense improved alot after Jones returned. We also started winning.

Were.adding Keanu Neal, Ricardo Allen, Adrian Clayborn. Its.not.the 1985 Bears  but theres enough talent. Davison is underrated bc we finally have a 1 tech to help slow tye run and see more 3rd and 5+. DQ concentraring on the.defense cannot be overstated

if healthy this defense is going to suprise those that have short term memories. 

When you add a negative “not the ________.” You have already subconsciously implanted a dissenting voice. 

We have some great pieces and will continue to improve in all areas. 

I said the same thing.

what? Don’t look at me like that

6 minutes ago, SoCalFalconFan said:

It’s as if every fan on these boards has forgotten the injuries that decimated a solid as heck defense last season. The Falcons defense is solid. Getting Jones back at the end of the season altered the course of the defense greatly. Things improved quickly. Kazee and Oluokun made huge strides and improvements last season and will now be logging tons of snaps alongside the returning stars, Keke and Rico. Having a full platoon at our disposal and the underrated additions of Davison, Shede and Clayborn, ALL under the defensive helm of one Dan Quinn... is going to be a night and day comparison to last season’s injury-riddled debacle. 

Mark my frickin’ words. 

Debo and keanu coming back as well as Rico should help the defense a ton, but none of them help fix the d-line. Guys will need to step up. One or all of the dudes you mentioned have to make some sort of an impact for the defense to really be better. And of course I can only imagine what would happen if any of Debo, Keanu, or grady were to get hurt. 

Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, Atlantafan21 said:

Debo and keanu coming back as well as Rico should help the defense a ton, but none of them help fix the d-line. Guys will need to step up. One or all of the dudes you mentioned have to make some sort of an impact for the defense to really be better. And of course I can only imagine what would happen if any of Debo, Keanu, or grady were to get hurt. 

To me, Davison was part of the Saints good run Defense. Period. Senat and Davison should be just fine at 1T in base defense. We got a superb athletic hybrid DT/DE for DQ to mold as a pure pass rusher inside year 1; unless he earns the Shelby role as our heavy package DE.

You could easily argue the same for our OL regarding injuries last year.

The thing is. Which line needed a complete overhaul? OL clearly. DL needed more 'stepping up' and OL just didn't have much. The OG signings were a step 1 but not a finished job. Most people screamed it was a risk relying on Ty; and who knows had a DT we liked fell to 14 and we still trade up for McGary?

The thing is, our interior OL was worse the past 2 seasons than Schraeder; before his collapse, in part due to injuries themselves but also failed OG level of play like Wes or the depth behind Levitre 2 years running. Lindstrom basically becomes what everyone thought Garland could be..

Our run game died when Levitre and Fusco went out...yes in part due to Free. Thank goodness we didn't just sign a couple guys and hope it stuck like in 2018 or think Wes would finally be the long-term answer at OG. No, we overturned it completely with Lindstrom and will get the best starters and depth because of it.

The cost is DL needed more guys to step up. OL like Wes or Ty long-term was questionable. At least with the DL you have a rotation need anyway. Can't really play rotate the OL unless they are talented and experienced enough to move around at the NFL level. Think Lindstrom in 2-3 years being our C or maybe sliding over to RG. If McGary is a quick learn or starts by 2020 at the latest? That's a set OL for years.

DL has 3 former first round DEs. They need to step up. We weren't going DE at 14 apparently. That's the rub here and the bigger question. Our pass rush depth. Run defense? Davison alone is a big improvement from McClain for our system. Just because it's not the mold of Poe does not mean it won't work. Dude was the 1T for Saints elite run defense this past year.

Oh, and remember DQ had a little note near the end of 2018 or in his post-season interviews. He said the DL not being tested by our OL every week in practice hurt them for gamedays. Now we just got 5 additions to the OL this offseason and let RS go in favor of Ty. The DL will finally be tested. Big dudes and superb athletic draft picks that fit Zone; including upgrading our ability to play Inside zone.

I see McGary as an upgrade to Ty as a ZBS RT fairly quick in his physical testing alone but I can't evaluate what coaches will be working with him on to translate to the NFL. Lindstrom was obviously the more NFL ready guy. The RAS scoring does not usually lie. Lindstrom is miles and miles better than Wes entering the NFL. We aren't converting small school decent athletic OTs with short arms to OG anymore. McGary was basically the same grade as Lindstrom. High-end RAS scoring.

To me, if DQ is betting on himself as the DC and lighting a fire up on VB in a contract year...getting more hands on with Takk...Cominsky....Senat and Crawford...like he helped Hageman, etc? We're gonna be fine with Davison and GJ as the base DT interior.

Run the ball and stop the run. Those were our primary football 101 goals. We're MUCH better equipped to run the ball right now and that plus some natural improvements from better coaching and year 2 Senat....and signing Davison/Hageman/AC will build the internal practice for being better on game day at the basics.

The only question is pass rush really. It's only natural the run O and run D will improve. Pass protection is a close 2nd since the unit needs to protect itself by running the ball early in the year while gelling in understanding responsibilities and scouting how teams will attack our OL when its obvious to pass. The protection schemes for starting 5 OL and the pass rush for our DL rotation is hopefully the area of improvement we get to focus on; presuming the aforementioned basic run/stop run are covered. Looks like those won't be a question.

And, if the CB situation with Isaiah as a starter somehow struggles we need the well for NB or boundary corner we got some talent there as well. Rico and Neal are major additions. Pass D and run D. We didn't get beat deep hardly ever with Rico and he helped the entire secondary be in position. We had a major enforcer in Neal. Debo for a full season and year 2 Senat/Foye will help the front 7 a lot with the DL additions. Hopefully, we won't need the well on Safety depth.

Edited by Ergo Proxy

Posted (edited)

15 hours ago, Atlantafan21 said:

The front office better hope so and the offense returns to near 2016 levels. If not, the defense is gonna fall apart due to the lack of talent added via the offseason. 

You have to see we are adding back Neal, Allen and Jones.

We got Davison, Clayborn, Hageman, Odom to compete with our incumbent DL.

Quinn has made it his personal mission to get Beasley back on track.

Oliver gets his shot as a high pick last year.

and there is no reason to believe Senat, Kazee, Oluokun, and McKinley won’t improve with another year under their belts.

Now we have added the two long and fast corners and DL Cominsky to coach up, we’ll see what they can contribute early.

I think this defense can perform top 15, good injury luck aside, it will just take some good preparation, coaching and personal development.

Edited by FalconBlood
Tim Mazetti likes this

15 hours ago, Atlantafan21 said:

Exactly. If the offense goes 3 and outs, our defense is gonna suffer greatly.

Tim Mazetti likes this

15 hours ago, Beef said:

If we can get back to scoring 30+ ppg, we can go 11-5 with our eyes closed.

If we can avoid the defensive injury bug, our defense can be top-15 in scoring.

That is a recipe for a SB run.

But 26 ppg, 42 Matt Ryan sacks, starters out all over the place, and a bottom third defense and we’re 8-8.

Did we do enough to improve and get back to the former?

My personal feeling is the offense might have, but the defense probably not.

I fear another sub-30 sack season for the D, and the secondary is leaky as a fire hose.

The #1 to #3 offense still can’t carry a #25 defense. Sure that can win a division, but it’s not beating every playoff team.

Sucks, but this is my gut feeling until I see how everyone has come back from injury and how our additions on defense show out in pre/early season.

A lot of "Ifs" there, Buddy.

15 hours ago, FalconKick said:

Imagine, for a moment, Matt Ryan dropping back, surveying the field, making a sandwich, checking his Twitter account, and finding Julio wide open 25 yards downfield. Beautiful isn't it?

Only if he can get the ball downfield.

1 minute ago, Flying Falcon said:

A lot of "Ifs" there, Buddy.

There’s literally only 2 “if’s” in my entire post.  So whatever you say, idiot.