LTMcAuliffe

Most improved teams after the draft

85 posts in this topic

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001028803/article/2019-nfl-draft-most-improved-groups-across-the-league

Falcons' offensive line: It's safe to say the Falcons believe their 2018 season was doomed by their offensive line, not just poor injury luck. After spending mid-tier money on a trio of free agents (Jamon Brown, Ty Sambrailo and James Carpenter), the Falcons doubled down with two first-round picks: guard Chris Lindstrom (No. 14 overall) and right tackle Kaleb McGary (No. 31 overall). The Falcons traded up for McGary, possibly believing that he was a favorite of the Patriots, who held the 32nd overall pick, in the first round.

All of this investment in one area puts pressure on new offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter to turn the unit around in a hurry, which is great news for Matt Ryan and running back Devonta Freeman. It's as if GM Thomas Dimitroff is saying this is a Super Bowl roster, provided he can just get the line right.

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, LTMcAuliffe said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001028803/article/2019-nfl-draft-most-improved-groups-across-the-league

Falcons' offensive line: It's safe to say the Falcons believe their 2018 season was doomed by their offensive line, not just poor injury luck. After spending mid-tier money on a trio of free agents (Jamon Brown, Ty Sambrailo and James Carpenter), the Falcons doubled down with two first-round picks: guard Chris Lindstrom (No. 14 overall) and right tackle Kaleb McGary (No. 31 overall). The Falcons traded up for McGary, possibly believing that he was a favorite of the Patriots, who held the 32nd overall pick, in the first round.

All of this investment in one area puts pressure on new offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter to turn the unit around in a hurry, which is great news for Matt Ryan and running back Devonta Freeman. It's as if GM Thomas Dimitroff is saying this is a Super Bowl roster, provided he can just get the line right.

This is what the Front Office is betting on.  We'll if this was a good bet.

Edited by Chitown2ATL_Falcon
NCCooley likes this

6 minutes ago, Atlantafan21 said:

The front office better hope so and the offense returns to near 2016 levels. If not, the defense is gonna fall apart due to the lack of talent added via the offseason. 

Defense didn’t lose any key parts, they are getting back players. And DQ taking over defense is big addition. 

10 minutes ago, Atlantafan21 said:

The front office better hope so and the offense returns to near 2016 levels. If not, the defense is gonna fall apart due to the lack of talent added via the offseason. 

Vic Beasley, Keanu Neal and Takk McKinley.  Three consecutive years of drafting defense first.  

All the while, the OL was treated like a red-headed step child.  Finally, the FO makes the OL its number one priority.  I, for one, am happy for the team.  I believe that we will finally be able to run the ball and execute pass plays that gash defenses.  We will possess the ball longer and give the ball to our opposition at least one fewer time per game.  

We all want a bad a$$ defense, but more than that, I want to win now because our window of opportunity is open for only a few more years.  We can win a championship with a better OL.  We would have sealed the game against the Pats if our OL could grind down the clock.  It couldn't and we lost.  I don't want to experience that again.  

If we can get back to scoring 30+ ppg, we can go 11-5 with our eyes closed.

If we can avoid the defensive injury bug, our defense can be top-15 in scoring.

That is a recipe for a SB run.

But 26 ppg, 42 Matt Ryan sacks, starters out all over the place, and a bottom third defense and we’re 8-8.

Did we do enough to improve and get back to the former?

My personal feeling is the offense might have, but the defense probably not.

I fear another sub-30 sack season for the D, and the secondary is leaky as a fire hose.

The #1 to #3 offense still can’t carry a #25 defense. Sure that can win a division, but it’s not beating every playoff team.

Sucks, but this is my gut feeling until I see how everyone has come back from injury and how our additions on defense show out in pre/early season.

24 minutes ago, Beef said:

But 26 ppg, 42 Matt Ryan sacks, starters out all over the place, and a bottom third defense and we’re 8-8.

I fear another sub-30 sack season for the D, and the secondary is leaky as a fire hose.

The #1 to #3 offense still can’t carry a #25 defense. Sure that can win a division, but it’s not beating every playoff team.

Sucks, but this is my gut feeling until I see how everyone has come back from injury and how our additions on defense show out in pre/early season.

That secondary is what I'm concerned with the most, believe TD and Quinn will come up with couple vets once training camp comes around, roster cuts,etc.

2 hours ago, LTMcAuliffe said:

It was a SB Roster the last 3 years.  Just had bad luck with injuries last year

B_84falcons and capitan like this

2 hours ago, Beef said:

Turnover margin will tip the scales one way or the other

1 hour ago, roman42 said:

That secondary is what I'm concerned with the most, believe TD and Quinn will come up with couple vets once training camp comes around, roster cuts,etc.

They have a very good secondary. If they can keep teams playing from behind it could be mute. Let the DL eat.  And give up 10yard passes. The talent is there on D.

Stop the run. And run the ball. Clock.

2 hours ago, Atlantafan21 said:

Our offense in 2016 was the 7th best in the entire history of the NFL. Its very unrealistic to expect us to get back and/or maintain that level of production year to year, otherwise what we did that year wouldnt have been so special. I would recommend that we learn to appreciate it for what is was, which was a rare, all-time great year. We can and should be improved in 2019, we have all the tools to be dominant, but if we ever match that 2016 level again I will be very surprised.

The defense will benefit from an offense that can better control the ball. The defense will benefit from having two pro bowl caliber starters back at safety, the defensive line will benefit from Clayborn returning and Senat having a year under his belt. There is a lot of youth at corner but dang do we have some athletes at that spot, Foye, Devondre and Deion are now settled in as an LB unit. 

And dont forget the biggest addition on defense, coach Q. He will be coaching his *** off next year trying to keep his job. This defense is in his hands, I trust he will get the most out of the guys on the roster and will be very aggressive as a playcaller.

Im looking forward to the upcoming season and what we can do

2 hours ago, Atlantafan21 said:

The defense improved alot after Jones returned. We also started winning.

Were.adding Keanu Neal, Ricardo Allen, Adrian Clayborn. Its.not.the 1985 Bears  but theres enough talent. Davison is underrated bc we finally have a 1 tech to help slow tye run and see more 3rd and 5+. DQ concentraring on the.defense cannot be overstated

if healthy this defense is going to suprise those that have short term memories. 

The Peregrine likes this

1 minute ago, LightningDawg58 said:

Our offense in 2016 was the 7th best in the entire history of the NFL. Its very unrealistic to expect us to get back and/or maintain that level of production year to year, otherwise what we did that year wouldnt have been so special. I would recommend that we learn to appreciate it for what is was, which was a rare, all-time great year. We can and should be improved in 2019, we have all the tools to be dominant, but if we ever match that 2016 level again I will be very surprised.

The defense will benefit from an offense that can better control the ball. The defense will benefit from having two pro bowl caliber starters back at safety, the defensive line will benefit from Clayborn returning and Senat having a year under his belt. There is a lot of youth at corner but dang do we have some athletes at that spot, Foye, Devondre and Deion are now settled in as an LB unit. 

And dont forget the biggest addition on defense, coach Q. He will be coaching his *** off next year trying to keep his job. This defense is in his hands, I trust he will get the most out of the guys on the roster and will be very aggressive as a playcaller.

Im looking forward to the upcoming season and what we can do

Davison is an important aquisition. We needed a stout 0/1 tech.

If Hageman is hungry hes going to eat. Doesnt matter that hes been out.2 years. If he.wants it its there. Too big, too strong, too quick not to be a factor IF he wants it. I know this f.o. well enough that he must talk and act like a new man for them to give him another shot. 

Just now, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Davison is an important aquisition. We needed a stout 0/1 tech.

If Hageman is hungry hes going to eat. Doesnt matter that hes been out.2 years. If he.wants it its there. Too big, too strong, too quick not to be a factor IF he wants it. I know this f.o. well enough that he must talk and act like a new man for them to give him another shot. 

Not even gonna pretend like I know what Davison is going to bring, but if you like it I love it. Im all for a strong interior

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

3 hours ago, Atlantafan21 said:

What?!?!?!

Davidson and Hageman mean nothing? 

Clayborn isnt a good player? 

Wilcox isnt solid depth at S? 

We didnt draft anybody? 

Im confused. 

Ergo Proxy and gazoo like this

7 minutes ago, Stryka said:

What?!?!?!

Davidson and Hageman mean nothing? 

Clayborn isnt a good player? 

Wilcox isnt solid depth at S? 

We didnt draft anybody? 

Im confused. 

That's right and Grady Neal Debo are gone now too so they'll be no help with the add-ons lol.

Flyin' In DC, Ergo Proxy and Stryka like this

52 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

It was a SB Roster the last 3 years.  Just had bad luck with injuries last year

No,, I disagree, We never would have won with Sark, Never !!  The best thing that has happen this off season has been the firing of Sark and getting an OC back that we can go to a SB with.. I don't care if we had 50 picks in this Draft, without the right OC,, Forget it.. more Ls than Ws... 

Flyin' In DC and Xfactor like this

3 hours ago, Beef said:

I definitely don’t see us having the #25 defense this year. With Grady, Debo, Neal, and Rico all healthy we’re back top 10 talent alone. Add Quinn to the picture as the aggressive play caller he is makes me even more confident in the defense. The issue last year was once we lost the middle of the defense we replaced all that with inexperience and guys that weren’t ready for that role. This year experienced depth was added and a full season of starting for guys like Kazee and Foye and a second year for senat will be invaluable. I just can’t see us having another year like last year. But if the defense sustains these type of injuries again the offense won’t wilt like they did last year for a period of time.