Falcons_Frenzy

Falcons 2019 Draft Class

37 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

And we gave up our 2nd and 3rd rounders for him. Even more than Lindstrom he’s got to be a hit because that’s the only way to justify sacrificing so much draft capital 

We didn’t give up two picks to get him - I freaking HATE when people say this.

We gave up ONE pick - our 3rd rounder (#79) so we could advance from #45 all the way to #31.

ONE pick

Fernando C. and Drew4719 like this

2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

We didn’t give up two picks to get him - I freaking HATE when people say this.

We gave up ONE pick - our 3rd rounder (#79) so we could advance from #45 all the way to #31.

ONE pick

Don't hate on the ignorant.

They can't understand why...  so it's just wasted energy.

g-dawg and Drew4719 like this

2 hours ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

Honestly learned alot from this breakdown. Makes me feel better about the pick. 

Thank you

I've learned, too. Kaleb shows he is coachable. Worst-case is he isn't a quick learner vs speed and can improve vs power...but I fully expect he is our starting RT by 2020; even if he sits behind Ty for a year. That's the worst case tho. A delay in starting but definitely see him long-term > Ty no question. Worst case he is the 3rd OT for a year. :shrug: Quick-learn makes him as having a good shot at beating out Ty for 2019.

Enjoyed this video when we took him:

Edited by Ergo Proxy
Artys Arryn likes this

Ll

Atlanta Falcons
Draft picks: Boston College OG Chris Lindstrom(No. 14 overall); Washington OT Kaleb McGary(No. 31 overall); Ohio State CB Kendall Sheffield(No. 111); Charleston DE John Cominsky (No. 135); Pittsburgh RB Qadree Ollison (No. 152);Washington CB Jordan Miller (No. 172); Louisiana-Monroe WR Marcus Green (No. 203)
Day 1 grade: B+ 
Day 2 grade: No picks, no grade
Day 3 grade: B
Overall grade: B+
Draft analysis: Lindstrom will be a decade-long starter in the interior for the Falcons. Surprisingly, GM Thomas Dimitroff did not manage to move up for a defensive tackle like Ed Oliver or Christian Wilkins to meet their top need. Lindstrom is a safe pick and an upgrade over the veteran free agents the team signed, but they could have used another difference-maker on defense. Then they picked McGary, who I figured Dimitroff was targeting in the top 45 to replace former starting right tackle Ryan Schraeder. They gave up a third-round pick (No. 79) and gained a sixth-round pick (No. 203) in this deal, which isn't a terrible price to pay if McGary protects Matt Ryan as an immediate starter. In the end, they basically copied what Indianapolis did to its offensive line in the 2018 draft (Colts picked Quenton Nelson and Braden Smith). The Falcons had no picks on Friday night.

They addressed the cornerback spot with the raw Sheffield and tough-minded Miller. Cominsky reminds me of former Pro Bowler Jared Allen, who was also a fourth-round pick. Ollison is the power back they desired to join Devonta Freeman and Ito Smith, though most expected fellow Pitt RB Darrin Hall to be drafted first

Schwarzwald and Drew4719 like this

12 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

I've learned, too. Kaleb shows he is coachable. Worst-case is he isn't a quick learner vs speed and can improve vs power...but I fully expect he is our starting RT by 2020 even if he sits behind Ty. Worst case he is the 3rd OT. Quick-lean makes him a good shot at beating out Ty.

Enjoyed this video when we took him:

One of his downfalls was that he had short arms lol where?

Schwarzwald likes this

@B_84falcons

Nice synopsis on our Draft grades; from a post-draft outlook standpoint but without results yet.

Jared Allen is a lofty goal for Cominsky, but what the heck? We just drafted Jared Allen's clone! :lol:

11 minutes ago, B_84falcons said:

One of his downfalls was that he had short arms lol where?

That's the thing. Being taller lets his arms extend further from his frame. We're talking an inch maybe. I'm not worried. He is a much better athlete and bigger guy than Sam Baker.

He just needs to work on his feet for speed rushers and adjust playing the moves/counters to what defenders like to do week to week.

Man...Kaleb could become a rich man's Ryan Schraeder. Better athlete but of a similar tall build. Arm length alone doesn't really matter. He has long frame. Just needs footwork for the speed guys and learning to deal with an NFL line trying to rush off each other and keeping his assignments with teammate in check. This is why our TE signings are big; Paulsen and Stocker help our RT and run game get going while the playaction and pass game off our run game helps prevent pass blocking deficiencies from being exploited as often.

PS, these RAS scores show the difference...

Edited by Ergo Proxy

15 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

@B_84falcons

Nice synopsis on our Draft grades; from a post-draft outlook standpoint but without results yet.

Jared Allen is a lofty goal for Cominsky, but what the heck? We just drafted Jared Allen's clone! :lol:

His physical comparison is closer to JJ Watt.

3 hours ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

And we gave up our 2nd and 3rd rounders for him. Even more than Lindstrom he’s got to be a hit because that’s the only way to justify sacrificing so much draft capital 

We gave up a 3rd rounder to swap a 2nd with a 1st...

Stop over exagerating the trade..

We actually got a 6th back in return, so there was no net loss of draft capital...

Cmon...

Edited by Matt_The Iceman_Ryan
Schwarzwald likes this

Not sexy having top two picks on the OL but very solid draft with emphasis exactly where DQ said we needed it.  We might even have a couple of diamonds in the rough.  Looking forward to the start of the season.