My Take: On the Draft- Are We Shortsighted?

When reading the comments and the reaction of the fans, one couldn’t help seeing tthe shortsightedness of the fans. 

The Falcons had a pool of players to go after and this based on their research and resources. This process starts weeks before the draft starts—this is not like an overnight and on the go process. The fans are always dramatic and want the big names that get hyped up by the media and within NFL circles. Some of this hype is well-deserved based on the talent, but many times it is like steroids for hype and national attention. 

When you peel the process, the best teams go for pragmatic solutions. You invest in players that fit your style and believes. The Falcons KPI (Kep Performance Index/marketing world will know what I mean) or benchmarks are based on this:

Character 

Athletism 

Data/Analytics 

Agility 

Smartness

Expert Take-Scouting 

Coaches 

After using your benchmarks, you come up with a pool of players that fits those KPI’s or benchmarks. The Falcons selected those players based on data, analytics, and scouting take. This has nothing to do with TD making the decision over DQ or DQ taking the lead. The decisions are based on a cumulative basis. 

The Falcons knew that rhe OL was a major obstacle for the team. What is your biggest investment and your most important asset? It is Matt Ryan and protecting him was the main priority. You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to know that if you protect Matty Ice, you will get an offense that is going to be deadly and scoring points. The Falcons running game was affected by the shortfalls within the OL trenches. Finally, I bet Arthur Blank advised TD and DQ to make the OL a priority based on his take. 

The Falcons decided that protecting Matt Ryan and the running game needed a major facelift. The Falcons added two smart big guys to help that cause. Strategically, this makes sense in the long run. If you have a great offense, you can win many games with an average defense. The Falcons don’t need to be a Top 10 defense to win the Super Bowl, but a Top 15 will suffice. 

The fans need to realize that the Falcons added two major pieces to the offense that will be cost-effective and with the option of a 5-year contract. Tom Brady always excelled because it was hard to get to him and he had a great pocket protection. Matt Ryan needs pocket protection to be a great QB. 

The Falcons don’t have that many holes and some of the fans exaggerate the situation. The Defense will improve dramatically with DQ on the helm. He is going to push players like VIC and Tak. We will add couple of more pieces to the defense via the draft to solidify the team. 

In summary, The Falcons got bigger and beefy in the trenches which is something we haven’t seen in a longtime. The OL should become one of the Falcons most improved unit and it will help the Offense to be a Top 5 offense with weapons like MR, Julio, Freeman, Sani, Hooper and Calvin. We need to believe in the process by logic and not emotions. The Falcons are primed to be one of the best team in the NFC next year and a team that is one of the most talented. 

Keep the faith and #RiseUp...

I wanted to double dip on the OL at the start of the off-season. I thought this OL needed a face lift and also some cheaper, younger players. After FA, I thought it wouldn't happen. I still thought drafting a RT in the 1st still was a strong possibility because I thought we were closer to being 1 player away from an elite offense rather than 1 player away from being a good defense.

I think if we can have a Top 3 offense, and a Top 15 defense that can starting making turnovers then we have a really good recipe for success. If we can follow the blueprint of the 2016 Falcons, the 09 Aints, and the like, we could really go far.

22 minutes ago, stingbee said:

When reading the comments and the reaction of the fans, one couldn’t help seeing tthe shortsightedness of the fans. 

The Falcons had a pool of players to go after and this based on their research and resources. This process starts weeks before the draft starts—this is not like an overnight and on the go process. The fans are always dramatic and want the big names that get hyped up by the media and within NFL circles. Some of this hype is well-deserved based on the talent, but many times it is like steroids for hype and national attention. 

When you peel the process, the best teams go for pragmatic solutions. You invest in players that fit your style and believes. The Falcons KPI (Kep Performance Index/marketing world will know what I mean) or benchmarks are based on this:

Character 

Athletism 

Data/Analytics 

Agility 

Smartness

Expert Take-Scouting 

Coaches 

After using your benchmarks, you come up with a pool of players that fits those KPI’s or benchmarks. The Falcons selected those players based on data, analytics, and scouting take. This has nothing to do with TD making the decision over DQ or DQ taking the lead. The decisions are based on a cumulative basis. 

The Falcons knew that rhe OL was a major obstacle for the team. What is your biggest investment and your most important asset? It is Matt Ryan and protecting him was the main priority. You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to know that if you protect Matty Ice, you will get an offense that is going to be deadly and scoring points. The Falcons running game was affected by the shortfalls within the OL trenches. Finally, I bet Arthur Blank advised TD and DQ to make the OL a priority based on his take. 

The Falcons decided that protecting Matt Ryan and the running game needed a major facelift. The Falcons added two smart big guys to help that cause. Strategically, this makes sense in the long run. If you have a great offense, you can win many games with an average defense. The Falcons don’t need to be a Top 10 defense to win the Super Bowl, but a Top 15 will suffice. 

The fans need to realize that the Falcons added two major pieces to the offense that will be cost-effective and with the option of a 5-year contract. Tom Brady always excelled because it was hard to get to him and he had a great pocket protection. Matt Ryan needs pocket protection to be a great QB. 

The Falcons don’t have that many holes and some of the fans exaggerate the situation. The Defense will improve dramatically with DQ on the helm. He is going to push players like VIC and Tak. We will add couple of more pieces to the defense via the draft to solidify the team. 

In summary, The Falcons got bigger and beefy in the trenches which is something we haven’t seen in a longtime. The OL should become one of the Falcons most improved unit and it will help the Offense to be a Top 5 offense with weapons like MR, Julio, Freeman, Sani, Hooper and Calvin. We need to believe in the process by logic and not emotions. The Falcons are primed to be one of the best team in the NFC next year and a team that is one of the most talented. 

Keep the faith and #RiseUp...

ok Gazoo, I know its you.

I wish the best for these players but history shows when you are extra focused on certain players or certain positions, you can be blind to better players at other positions. 

Last years draft was one of the only where the Falcons truly played the board and picked the highest rated players available regardless of position and it looks like that worked out well. 

2 hours ago, jwickha2 said:

I wanted to double dip on the OL at the start of the off-season. I thought this OL needed a face lift and also some cheaper, younger players. After FA, I thought it wouldn't happen. I still thought drafting a RT in the 1st still was a strong possibility because I thought we were closer to being 1 player away from an elite offense rather than 1 player away from being a good defense.

I think if we can have a Top 3 offense, and a Top 15 defense that can starting making turnovers then we have a really good recipe for success. If we can follow the blueprint of the 2016 Falcons, the 09 Aints, and the like, we could really go far.

If you look at the last 2 picks for the defense, the Falcons picked players that fit their blueprint and what DQ is seeking— athletism, Work ethics, Speed and coachability. These are player that could contribute in 2 or 3 years. You are building the pipeline. 

9 minutes ago, stingbee said:

If you look at the last 2 picks for the defense, the Falcons picked players that fit their blueprint and what DQ is seeking— athletism, Work ethics, Speed and coachability. These are player that could contribute in 2 or 3 years. You are building the pipeline. 

Exactly

14 minutes ago, stingbee said:

I mean, I thought after all of the guys Quinn has developed, that we might stop worrying about them taking the guys who have the canvas Quinn wants, but here we are...

I've never seen a place with worse knee jerk reactions than this forum.

Also consider that it was the injuries that prevented this team from having a top 10 D a year ago.

It was the offense that was stuck. So now the OL just got a lot better.  Losing Alford and having an overrated Beasley is what concerns me on defense.  I think we can overcome losing Coleman at RB. We are going to be fine.

3 hours ago, Summerhill said:

I wish the best for these players but history shows when you are extra focused on certain players or certain positions, you can be blind to better players at other positions. 

Last years draft was one of the only where the Falcons truly played the board and picked the highest rated players available regardless of position and it looks like that worked out well. 

You mean missing the playoffs?

1 hour ago, B3TD said:

I mean, I thought after all of the guys Quinn has developed, that we might stop worrying about them taking the guys who have the canvas Quinn wants, but here we are...

I've never seen a place with worse knee jerk reactions than this forum.

Half a *** **** century, zero Super Bowls. Need rest.

source.gif

1 hour ago, jm_falcons said:

Also consider that it was the injuries that prevented this team from having a top 10 D a year ago.

It was the offense that was stuck. So now the OL just got a lot better.  Losing Alford and having an overrated Beasley is what concerns me on defense.  I think we can overcome losing Coleman at RB. We are going to be fine.

Losing both guards and your starting running back for the year didnt help the offense.  Ranked 27th in rushing yet our offense was ranked 6th overall and 4th in passing

Defense needs more depth as well as our lines on both sides

Hoping we filled those holes this offseason

My Final Thought: The Falcons basically picked up players that met their blueprint or KPI. They went after players that checked their benchmarks. This team definitely added major depth and playmakers to the team this offseason via FA and draft. 

Freeman and Matt Ryan will see major dividends from this year’s draft and offseason. The running game and the passing game could be something special. The running game stats  will definitely jump big time. I wouldn’t be surprised to see us back in the Top 10 in rushing as well.