Selected a OG at # 14 with a

2nd round grade even though Dexter Lawrence and Montez Sweat were still available turned around and traded away our 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up for another OG with a 2nd or 3rd round grade, all this after signing two starters at OG in FA Carpenter and OG Brown to muptiple million dollar contracts unphucking believable!!! I guess were gonna carry 9 OG on this team.

Edited by Falcons&Dawgs#1Fan

He was given a second round grade by whom?  Anyone reputable?  Anyone that actually worked him out?  Anyone that actually has any real experience evalutating talent?

Come on, man.  I can see that you had other thoughts, but can you at least admit that TD and his staff might know a thing or two more than you or me? 

Sweat and Lawrence weren’t picked at pick 15 or 16 either. Grades don’t mean ****. They are guesses. NFL GMs clearly disagreed with the thought that Lindstrom was not a first round OL talent or that Lawrence and Sweat should go in the top 15. You do realize some draft grades had Lindstrom as a 1st rounder? And some didn’t. Evidently, the ones saying he was a likely 1st round pick were correct.

Also not sure who C Smith is, I assume you mean Jamon Brown?  Kaleb would be playing RT not guard. Either way, we may have overpaid a bit for some depth at guard via FA. But I like how aggressive the team has been this off-season. Overpaid to secure guard depth and "over drafted" the guys who the team wanted. One thing is for sure, the Falcons have a clear direction this off-season and have been very aggressive in carrying it out. I like it!

Edited by LTMcAuliffe

Just now, HEIST said:

Dexter Lawrence was a 2 down player at Clemson. We might've had a medical flag on Sweat.

The Sweat thing is weird. He gets the heart diagnosis, then suddenly during the afternoon of the draft it might not be true? Something is up there.

No I didn't because no one that I know is reputable.  All of those so-called experts on TV or the web sites are WANNA-BE'S.

None of them know anything.  They suspect, they guess, but none of them know anything (of substance) about these prospects and how well they fit into the various schemes teams employ. 

We draftniks do this for fun.  TD, Pioli and the rest of the gang do it to put food on the table.  They know far more about these prospects than we will ever know.  So, let's relax and hope for the best. 

I feel optimistic.  The FO made the OL their top priority.  It is about time. 

Only 25% of first round picks are considered "successful" picks three years later.  Successful means productive starters, not superstars.  Most teams will pick the BPA.  TD did something very wise.  He drafted two guys that fit our needs very well.

Our first day draft was outstanding.

Wonder why OP didn't post the link to his quote? :rolleyes:

Anyway, every team has it's own board with its own grade for the players on it. When you talk about "reaching", it's not smart to consider who has a #14 grade. It's better to consider who is the best fit that won't be there at #45. TD said that they wanted to trade down but that they had good intel that there were six other teams interested in him. I'm happy with the draft because picking OL early is like taking medicine. Sometimes it might be distasteful but you have to do it to get better. Props to the FO.

7 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

No flag on Kaleb?

I don't know the team's individual medical reports. Some teams might've had McGary off their board because they didn't like the medical. Falcon's clearly were fine with it. Maybe the same can't be said of Sweat. Or they just weren't that high on him.

4 minutes ago, athell said:

But SS and LB were glaring needs for that roster.  We have 4 quality NFL starting OG’s.  Didn’t need a 5th before addressing DT

DT was our glaring need and we just assured we can address it on Day 3