D.B.N.

Here is why we are upset

34 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Because we will either be paying $20+mm for backups or we drafted bench warmers in the first round. We needed impact players in the first, and while these guys may turn out to be great OL, were still paying $20+mm for backups. On the flip side, if we use our recently acquired FA OL, we drafted bench warmers at 14 & traded back up to draft another bench warmer at 31.  

Edited by D.B.N.
Ovie_Lover likes this

Just now, Yo_Lover said:

That 20m could have gone to Justin Houston and Bruce Irvin.

Exactly, but it went to Brown/sambrilo/Carpenter. Either way our free agency is looking worse and worse. 

Just now, D.B.N. said:

Exactly, but it went to Brown/sambrilo/Carpenter. Either way our free agency is looking worse and worse. 

You didn't need to start a new thread.  Everyone can hear you screaming from the other thread.  I get it, I just don't agree with you.  Is that OK?

2 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Assuming Houston or Irvin had any interest in playing here.

Houston isn't even a scheme fit and people are still crying over him? He was released because he didn't fit a 4-3....

Dwight Freeney came from a 3-4 

1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Last I checked Justin Houston isn't Dwight Freeney so I'm not real sure why that matters.

You're right, outside rushers from a 3-4 can never succeed in the 4-3. It's never happened, never gonna happen. Good thing the Colts run a 3-4, oh.. wait.. they run a 4-3.

Btw we also use 3-4 fronts. 

Just now, 1989Fan said:

Weren’t Freeny and Mathis ends in a 4-3 primarily?

They were. I think Freeney played one or two years in a 34

13 minutes ago, D.B.N. said:

Because we will either be paying $20+mm for backups or we drafted bench warmers in the first round. We needed impact players in the first, and while these guys may turn out to be great OL, were still paying $20+mm for backups. On the flip side, if we use our recently acquired FA OL, we drafted bench warmers at 14 & traded back up to draft another bench warmer at 31.  

The offensive line is different when it comes to the draft.   You have to invest and plan for the future more than any other position group.  Bargain hunting hasn't been working.  Our qb is too important not to protect him. 

Look at the Patriots...look at the Saints

1 minute ago, Yo_Lover said:

You're right, outside rushers from a 3-4 can never succeed in the 4-3. It's never happened, never gonna happen. Good thing the Colts run a 3-4, oh.. wait.. they run a 4-3.

Btw we also use 3-4 fronts. 

Does it seem smart to take the gamble that he could be the same player in a 4-3 on top of injury concerns now also??

That's a lot of gambling for a high dollar free agent.

13 minutes ago, E. T. said:

You guys need to view the post 1st rd presser. It will provide everyone answers as to why they did what they did and what they are prepared for.

Could you summarize?  Can't watch at work.

I've heard that the expectation is that Carpenter the two picks will start.  Is that true?

7 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Does it seem smart to take the gamble that he could be the same player in a 4-3 on top of injury concerns now also??

That's a lot of gambling for a high dollar free agent.

Does it seem smart to gamble our defensive line on a guy who was out for 2 years, a guy with 3 career sacks, and two guys who are hurt every year?

1 minute ago, Yo_Lover said:

Does it seem smart to gamble our defensive line on a guy who was out for 2 years, a guy with 3 career sacks, and two guys who are hurt every year?

I like how you dodged the question and also dodged the fact that you were wrong about Freeney playing in a 4-3 lol...

1 minute ago, JeffAtl said:

Could you summarize?  Can't watch at work.

I've heard that the expectation is that Carpenter the two picks will start.  Is that true?

Quinn is excited about the position battle that will take place in camp. Quinn said the best man will start. Quinn and TD said they are prepared for any FA to be a backup if it comes down to that. They both said they are more comfortable about the depth situation this year versus last year. They feel they had to jump on the best and more prepared olinemen early. Oline was and is priority.

thanat0s likes this

2 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

I like how you dodged the question and also dodged the fact that you were wrong about Freeney playing in a 4-3 lol...

I responded with another question to show you it goes both ways but since you wanna lick markers I'll play.

Houston 5 games missed in the last 2 years. That's hardly "injury concerns".

And how was I wrong about Freeny playing in a 4-3? We run a 4-3 do we not? So he played well in a 4-3.

32 minutes ago, etherdome said:

Would you have paid $20M last year for back-ups that could step in and afford Ryan the time to complete plays?  Would it have been useful to be able to run the ball in short yardage situations?

Guys make up your mind 

I just love watching our guards and right tackle get pushed into our Qb’s legs. 

Actually I don’t. I hate it when our own players tackle our quarterback. 

I’m good with the picks and am glad they’re actually finally trying to address the issue. It’s about dam time. 

Jumpin Jehosaphat and kschreck like this