Smitty on Lindstrom

Geneaut

Well, CBS doesn’t love the picks, must be run by AFMB posters :lol:

McGary over Ford was surprising to me I must say, but not as surprised as Howard to Houston in round 1. 

Edit: I was just poking fun based on letter grades, which I felt compelled to explain in my follow up post...sorry for those I offended.

4 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

McGary over Ford was surprising to me I must say, but not as surprised as Howard to Houston in round 1. 

I kind of got the idea they understood the picks without being overly excited about them. I didn't hear any of them sound like they were surprised about it from the standpoint that they disliked the picks.

I also got the impression that they think the OG position is going to be addressed more often in future drafts by NFL teams. 

Edited by Geneaut

Everyone has been pretty unanimous that Lindstrom was one of the cleanest OL prospects in the draft - maybe he would’ve been there 10-15 picks later, maybe not. There is a LOT more diversity in opinions on McGary and where best projects to play and how long it will take. I was thrown off by that one, but what do I know. Hate that we have no picks in 2-3 where so much of the talent in this draft is.

Hopefully these guys crush it early and are staples on the line for a decade. We’ll see, but I’m still looking for impact defensive help. Haven’t seen it yet this offseason. 

12 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

where did you get that they don't love the picks?   if you listen to what they SAY - instead of just looking at the grade,  they liked it a lot - especially Lindstrom.    With McGary, they just questioned him over Dalton Risner.

Prisco said "something is up" with Jawaan Taylor - and I agree.   There must be something - drug or off field issues - work ethic - something?  He should have gone somewhere in the 1st round.

Falcons Fans: "Td is an idiot he never invests on the o-line, he never spends first round picks on the line (except for Jake)  fire TD!!!"

Also Falcons Fans: "What the **** is TD thinking, we already signed two veteran guards why is he investing so much draft capital on the line??  why did we trade up in the first round for a tackle and spend a 14 pick on a guard that may or may not have been available later?! fire TD!!!"

Edited by Dr Long Shot

1 minute ago, jfalconsp said:

Everyone has been pretty unanimous that Lindstrom was one of the cleanest OL prospects in the draft - maybe he would’ve been there 10-15 picks later, maybe not. There is a LOT more diversity in opinions on McGary and where best projects to play and how long it will take. I was thrown off by that one, but what do I know. Hate that we have no picks in 2-3 where so much of the talent in this draft is.

Hopefully these guys crush it early and are staples on the line for a decade. We’ll see, but I’m still looking for impact defensive help. Haven’t seen it yet this offseason. 

Quinn/Dimitroff seemed to suggest that a few teams within 5 picks behind them might have been sitting on Lindstrom.   I don't believe he would have made it to #20.

Just now, g-dawg said:

Quinn/Dimitroff seemed to suggest that a few teams within 5 picks behind them might have been sitting on Lindstrom.   I don't believe he would have made it to #20.

Yeah I saw that, and if he was their guy then you have to pull the trigger. Based on the presser I think they panicked a little thinking there wouldn’t be an OT they liked left if they didn’t trade back up. Jury is out on that one.

1 minute ago, Dr Long Shot said:

Falcons Fans: "Td is an idiot he never invests on the o-line, he never spends first round picks on the line (except for Jake)  fire TD!!!"

Also Falcons Fans: "What the **** is TD thinking, we already signed two veteran guards why is he investing so much draft capital on the line??  why did we trade up in the first round for a tackle and spend a 14 pick on a guard that may or may not have been available later?! fire TD!!!"

it's kind of funny, isn't it.

I always have my "favorites" like we all do - but I understand I have limited access to information that doesn't bound Dimitroff and Quinn who have probably 100 fold more information than me - doesn't mean they make the right pick - or - that my thoughts are wrong if different - but I like the picks and the philosophy of building the O-Line through the draft.   I feel GREAT about Lindstrom and I am not as sure about McGary but I am hopeful there.

2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I don’t either. I don’t think we overdrafted Lindstrom at all. I rather like McGary and agree worst case scenario move him inside and roll with brown or Ty at RT. Overall, I like this draft

1 minute ago, jfalconsp said:

Yeah I saw that, and if he was their guy then you have to pull the trigger. Based on the presser I think they panicked a little thinking there wouldn’t be an OT they liked left if they didn’t trade back up. Jury is out on that one.

Kiper, Jr. had Lindstrom mocked to Packers at #12.   I believe Lindstrom was going Top 25 for sure and most likely Top 20.  Lindstrom wasn't a reach.

McGary?  they might have reached a little but he probably wouldn't have made it to #45.   If he pans out, it won't matter.

4 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

where did you get that they don't love the picks?   if you listen to what they SAY - instead of just looking at the grade,  they liked it a lot - especially Lindstrom.    With McGary, they just questioned him over Dalton Risner.

Prisco said "something is up" with Jawaan Taylor - and I agree.   There must be something - drug or off field issues - work ethic - something?  He should have gone somewhere in the 1st round.

Scroll down to my other post...

Sports Illustrated Grades/Comments:

14. ATLANTA FALCONS: G CHRIS LINDSTROM

When the Falcons paid meaningful money to guards James Carpenter and Jamon Brown in free agency, analysts like yours truly scratched their heads and wondered if this meant the team was moving to more of a north-south inside zone running game, rather than the east-west outside zone game around which they’ve built their offense. Carpenter and Brown, after all, are downhill maulers with limited lateral agility. Lindstrom, on the other hand, is dripping with athleticism. He’s expected to be an excellent outside zone blocker, which suggests the Falcons will indeed remain an outside zone running team. Carpenter, though not suited for that system, at least survived in it for many years as a Seahawk. Brown also played in it as a Ram and could be moved to right tackle, a position he played effectively during the 2017 offseason in L.A. The Falcons, who entered this draft with few needs and a ready-to-win-now roster, upgraded at a critical position.

GRADE: A-

31. ATLANTA FALCONS (VIA LOS ANGELES RAMS): T KALEN MCGARY

The Falcons took two first-round offensive linemen in one draft … and that’s after signing a pair of what looked like would-be starting guards in free agency. Assuming this is it for O-line investments, we now know where the Falcons stand (if not going into camp, then likely coming out of it): Chris Lindstrom will be the left guard and Kaleb McGary will be the right tackle, leaving Jamon Brown at right guard and James Carpenter in a somewhat expensive backup role. OK, it all makes sense now, though if you wanted to nitpick, you could say this is a lot put into one part of the roster, given that Atlanta’s four-man pass rush could use a bit of a boost.

GRADE: B-

14 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

it's kind of funny, isn't it.

I always have my "favorites" like we all do - but I understand I have limited access to information that doesn't bound Dimitroff and Quinn who have probably 100 fold more information than me - doesn't mean they make the right pick - or - that my thoughts are wrong if different - but I like the picks and the philosophy of building the O-Line through the draft.   I feel GREAT about Lindstrom and I am not as sure about McGary but I am hopeful there.

I'm no expert on college football but Lindstrom looks like a stud to me. If we come out with a pro-bowl guard and a decent starter at right tackle out of this draft than how can anyone say it's anything but a massive success? Basically have been looking to shore up those positions for what seems like forever.  As far as spending too much on the line in free agency, we didn't sign anyone to a monster contract, we signed one vet that seems like he can be a decent left guard for us and another that seems like a project at right guard, both to short term deals with little cap penalties after year 1 if we choose to cut them. I don't see the issue here.

Clearly Brown will compete for Lindstrom for the starting job and whoever wins will likely be a massive upgrade over what we had last year. McGary seems like more of a project so it's completely logical we have Sombrailo out there to start with the hopes that McGary can take over within the next two-three years. Either way, we now have more depth at o-line than we've ever had with the potential to be building a line with three or more pro bowl caliber players. 

Also, RIP Fusco and Wes... ye shall not be missed.

Edited by Dr Long Shot