j105

Curious for others opinions post-round 1

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Let's be real, there are three groups every draft. The naysayers will shout doom and gloom and say that we made the worst choice they have ever seen(how this is possible every year escapes me.) Their NFL experience is typically several games of Madden each week. 

Meanwhile the draft homers will act like the FO are geniuses and that every pick is the next Peyton Manning at their positions. They will cherry pick scouting reports from some fat guy in his bathtub on a laptop who happened to love the player and writes about them at midnight each night. 

Then you have group 3 who actually want to analyze the picks despite realizing that without 3 years to judge it will be pointless. This is the group I want to hear from. But the others are welcome too lol.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

So personally, I'm a bit skeptical about the direction we went. Let me tell you why:

1.) I think we have up way too much to move up. Now maybe I'm mistaken, but I'm thinking a second and third would have got us up to Detroit if we had sent out first as well. Obviously no one knows for sure, but if I'm a GM wanting to take a trade down I'll certainly make that trade. Move back a few spots to midround of first and gain two high level picks? No brainer

2.) I think the Dolphins chumped us. No way in my opinion Wilkins wasn't on our board. I think we chose to be aggressive at the wrong time.

3.) We have heard time and time again this is a depth draft along the lines, so why sacrifice our high round picks like that? Just doesn't add up to me

So I guess I'm curious if anyone else is thinking on these levels. But that said, if we gained 2 8+ year starters then no one will bat an eye. I'm just peeved that we chose to be aggressive in an odd manner and spot. It seems out of character for TD. 

Thoughts?

Edited by j105

On a side note, anyone else really peeved at the draft coverage by NFL network this year? The norm is they go to commercial while we pick.

This year they not only cut to commercial, they didn't even highlight or scout the pick at all! I have never witnessed that before. They came back from commercial and Rich went straight to the Redskins QB situation. Has a team ever had a first pick not analyzed like that???? 

4 minutes ago, j105 said:

On a side note, anyone else really peeved at the draft coverage by NFL network this year? The norm is they go to commercial while we pick.

This year they not only cut to commercial, they didn't even highlight or scout the pick at all! I have never witnessed that before. They came back from commercial and Rich went straight to the Redskins QB situation. Has a team ever had a first pick not analyzed like that???? 

I've noticed this as well. There seems to always be a commercial break when the Falcons select. 

j105 likes this

1) We were never going to select 9 people this year. But we STILL HAVE 7 picks left, and I think we will be trading up, maybe twice. The trade value chart is not an exact science and we now get a 5th year option on an athletic OL our front office loved.

2) We got a good starter who the Saints are sad to see go in Davison. Have an intriguing upside signing in Hageman and the continued development of Senat. It’s possible our DT group has taken a big step forward this year, and our front office may think just that.

3) We have a great track record of selecting guys in rounds 4-5, Rico, Kazee, Campbell, Jarrett, Freeman, etc. We may very will hit on these 4 picks we have in rounds 4-5. Depth is still going to happen.

I love prioritizing the OL. Protect Ryan and open holes for freeman and good things will happen for Atlanta.

It's a mixed bag of emotions. I think alot of people (myself included) believed if the Falcons selected a RT, DT, CB in the top 3 rounds they were set to compete for a superbowl. After the 1st round it looks more like a 2/3 year plan. I just need someone to tell me who the RT is. I'm concerned we drafted two guards. 

3 minutes ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

It's a mixed bag of emotions. I think alot of people (myself included) believed if the Falcons selected a RT, DT, CB in the top 3 rounds they were set to compete for a superbowl. After the 1st round it looks more like a 2/3 year plan. I just need someone to tell me who the RT is. I'm concerned we drafted two guards. 

It might be possible that a lot of people have no idea what they are talking about.

VTCrunkler and Shelley#37 like this

22 minutes ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

McGary is a RT

54 minutes ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

I've noticed this as well. There seems to always be a commercial break when the Falcons select. 

Well that I expect, as well as the occasional player missing in regards to breakdown or scouting by the network but this was our first selection! I've never seen them just blatantly ignore it. They said the name, cut to commercial then didn't even bother to explain or look at the selection. Like wow. 

Falcons_Frenzy likes this

37 minutes ago, A-TowN.- said:

McGary is a RT

That's what he's listed as yes. The knock on him is pass protection. I feel like he will be a guard.

1 hour ago, FalconBlood said:

1) We were never going to select 9 people this year. But we STILL HAVE 7 picks left, and I think we will be trading up, maybe twice. The trade value chart is not an exact science and we now get a 5th year option on an athletic OL our front office loved.

2) We got a good starter who the Saints are sad to see go in Davison. Have an intriguing upside signing in Hageman and the continued development of Senat. It’s possible our DT group has taken a big step forward this year, and our front office may think just that.

3) We have a great track record of selecting guys in rounds 4-5, Rico, Kazee, Campbell, Jarrett, Freeman, etc. We may very will hit on these 4 picks we have in rounds 4-5. Depth is still going to happen.

I love prioritizing the OL. Protect Ryan and open holes for freeman and good things will happen for Atlanta.

Good points. Vastly disagree with the Hageman part. Good players don't get cut, at least not usually. The guy was always an experiment and it failed. Bringing him back tells me that we are worried about DT because that is a Hail Mary move by the FO. Which brings us full circle with the Dolphins potentially snagging our guy.

Hitting on late picks is fine, but why mortgage higher selections rather than later ones? If they do trade back into the second or third, the team just keep borrowing draft debt for seemingly no reason. 

FalconBlood likes this

Watching the TD post draft interview I got the impression that we missed out on 'our' guy. Either he didn't fall (Wilkins, Jonah Williams or Bush) or a pre-arranged trade up didn't materialise (Detroit for Oliver). 

Lindstrom felt like the fall back option but they obviously like the guy and didn't think he'd be there in the 20's. 

FalconBlood likes this

49 minutes ago, j105 said:

Good points. Vastly disagree with the Hageman part. Good players don't get cut, at least not usually. The guy was always an experiment and it failed. Bringing him back tells me that we are worried about DT because that is a Hail Mary move by the FO. Which brings us full circle with the Dolphins potentially snagging our guy.

Hitting on late picks is fine, but why mortgage higher selections rather than later ones? If they do trade back into the second or third, the team just keep borrowing draft debt for seemingly no reason. 

Hageman wasn't cut because of his play. He was phenomenal in the SB run. If he can get his personal life squared away,  I think he can still be a contributor for us. Maybe he got a taste of the real world and will come back hungrier and more determined than he was as a draftee.

1 hour ago, RubberDucky said:

Hageman wasn't cut because of his play. He was phenomenal in the SB run. If he can get his personal life squared away,  I think he can still be a contributor for us. Maybe he got a taste of the real world and will come back hungrier and more determined than he was as a draftee.

He always had the ability, or maybe potential is the better word, just not the drive. At least that's what it seemed like. They knew that risk when they selected him though. Hopefully the time away did some good. 

2 hours ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

That's what he's listed as yes. The knock on him is pass protection. I feel like he will be a guard.

Did you read the post on NFL scouts on Mcgary? Said he has one position. Right Tackle. Won some lineman of the year award in the PAC-10. Played in a pro style offense.  Said he is a 8 year starter in the NFL. 

Hope this scout is right 

1 hour ago, OilFuturesTrader19 said:

Did you read the post on NFL scouts on Mcgary? Said he has one position. Right Tackle. Won some lineman of the year award in the PAC-10. Played in a pro style offense.  Said he is a 8 year starter in the NFL. 

Hope this scout is right 

That would be awesome.

Initially I was like WTF but after some reflection I like the picks, or at least the reasoning behind the picks for now. The offensive line is our only weakness on that side of the ball. Fixing the line means more time for Matty to carve up defenses add to that actual holes for Free and Ito to gash defenses and you’ll get a near unstoppable pick your poison offense reminiscent of the Super Bowl run. We’d only need an average defense to make a deep playoff run. Besides the defense always had more gaps to fill than I was comfortable with just makes sense to focus on bolstering the teams greatest strength.