Looks like we're keeping Grady!

Something I thought about last night was the financial cost of certain players down the road. If we were to extend Grady(which I think we planned all along) and traded up for Ed Oliver, who's to say Ed Oliver wouldn't demand and warrant a $100 million dollar contract in 5 years. We chose the most effective positions, that would demand the least in 5 years. It also probably guarantees the core of Jarrett-DeBo-Neal stay together. I think future contracts played somewhat into the thought process of getting 2 OL on guaranteed 5 year contracts. 

Edited by LaurentRobinsonDaGawd

I think the more obvious thing that the draft so far shows us is that the Falcons have not given up on Deadrin Senat at all, like many of the fans seem to have done.  The guy hit a rookie wall last year, like a lot of rookies do, and maybe he is still going to be a player.

I don't think the Grady Jarrett deal is going to get done but hopefully him and Senat can make for a great duo in 2019 and this defense can be something a lot better than what we saw last year. Everybody is worried about the Falcons defensive line, but I am thinking the concerns are more on the second and third level of the defense.

I may be wrong but don’t the Falcons currently have 8 Defensive tackles on the roster?

Grady Senat Hageman Davison Bennett

Tuioti-Mariner Zimmer Crawford(plays both DT and DE)

Is it crazy to think we stand pat and DQ find the best 5 out of that group to do what he needs done?

To stay on topic, imo yes these means a deal for Grady will get done.

23 minutes ago, LaurentRobinsonDaGawd said:

Something I thought about last night was the financial cost of certain players down the road. If we were to extend Grady(which I think we planned all along) and traded up for Ed Oliver, who's to say Ed Oliver wouldn't demand and warrant a $100 million dollar contract in 5 years. We chose the most effective positions, that would demand the least in 5 years. It also probably guarantees the core of Jarrett-DeBo-Neal stay together. I think future contracts played somewhat into the thought process of getting 2 OL on guaranteed 5 year contracts. 

By the time Ed Oliver would have theoretically needed a contract extension from the Falcons, Grady Jarrett would be fairly old, beat up, and likely declining at that point. What you're suggesting is a non-issue. 

I think the DTs that the Falcons wanted were already gone, and the Falcons didn't want to reach for a DT at 14, especially with the recent acquisitions to the DL. You can say the Falcons reached for Lindstrom at 14, but the Falcons obviously liked what they saw in him and probably see him as a longterm fit, and that very well could happen. It's not an exciting pick, but I think it is going to work out well.

As for Grady, who knows what will happen.

7 hours ago, 4dabirds said:

I think the DTs that the Falcons wanted were already gone, and the Falcons didn't want to reach for a DT at 14, especially with the recent acquisitions to the DL. You can say the Falcons reached for Lindstrom at 14, but the Falcons obviously liked what they saw in him and probably see him as a longterm fit, and that very well could happen. It's not an exciting pick, but I think it is going to work out well.

As for Grady, who knows what will happen.

Going DL again would've been overdrafting the well there and Lindstrom was their #1 rated OG.

Meanwhile, we'd be taking the 8th DL...and probably Dexter Lawrence at that. His best trait? 1T run stopper. We got 3 of those on the roster as it is.

You mean we should've gotten Burns or Sweat? We have 3 first round DEs on the roster right now. They need to produce. DQ is betting on himself by letting us FIX THE DANG OL!!!

Reach? More like we didn't get cute and miss him!

Archer said on the radio earlier that TD had other GMs text him 'you SOB we were gonna take him' etc; ones that picked in the teens a few picks after us.

Yeah, in order to get a guy you want? Take him.

Keanu Neal 2.0

Edited by Ergo Proxy

7 hours ago, Peyton said:

I think the more obvious thing that the draft so far shows us is that the Falcons have not given up on Deadrin Senat at all, like many of the fans seem to have done.  The guy hit a rookie wall last year, like a lot of rookies do, and maybe he is still going to be a player.

I don't think the Grady Jarrett deal is going to get done but hopefully him and Senat can make for a great duo in 2019 and this defense can be something a lot better than what we saw last year. Everybody is worried about the Falcons defensive line, but I am thinking the concerns are more on the second and third level of the defense.

I don’t think he hit a rookie wall. He was great down the stretch. The thing with fans is they ain’t understand he’s a run stopper. He has rush capability but he’s a run stopper first. And the game Quinn didn’t dress him out we got run over by the saints. Quinn thought they would be pass heavy and went with pass rushers. He’ll never not dress senat again.