32wood84white

What is everyone struggling with?

39 posts in this topic

Early in the off season TD spoke about guard becoming a prime position that you may have to spend prime money for to get in Free Agency. We didn’t hand out monster contracts but contracts in the PAST that would scream starter.

Now we turn around and take what the Falcons obviously believe to be two first round talents and if you listened to TD’s and DQ’s interview, they have no issue letting the best 5 win even if that means one of the guards we signed is on the bench with their price tag. As TD said, they don’t want to be in a position as they were last year where injuries could come into play.

So im kind of lost on the confusion. We don’t have what could be 5 solid starters and trash depth, we have what could be 5 solid starters with legit depth. We haven’t had legit depth in years at O line and **** last year we didn’t even have 5 solid starters.

I thought we all learned you can never have enough talent at offensive line. And in one night that went out the door.

The problem is now you have all this money tied up at guard where only 2 people can start. Jamon Brown 3 year Deal prettyt good sized contract. James Carpenter 4 year deal again pretty decent money, you have schwiezer eho is good depth and Brandon Fusco who you already paid 2mill signing bonus  and played well for us until he got hurt.  So now you have all of the ASSETS that we had this offseasone into 3 OGs and 2 RTs  and then signed a bunch of ow level Dlineman and just expect the defense to be great cause Quinn is going to be HC/DC makes no since. 

FalconsIn2012 likes this

1 minute ago, ukfalc said:

Never underestimate the obsession that AFMB has with DE’s, CB’s and WR’s.

DTs, RBs, Safeties then DEs for me sir. Thanks.

in this draft

They think projections by folks like Kiper about where a player will go mean something. Most common complaint is they were "overdrafted" because the poster thinks they would have been available later.

I was stunned by the second OLine player selected at 31 myself, I was sure they were going defense there.

When Blank said they weren't done with the Oline, he wasn't kidding.

FalconBlood23 likes this

Some people are never going to be happy, unless the Falcons draft who THEY think the Falcons should draft.  IMHO, I think addressing the O Line early was a good strategy. 

Weren't there people on here complaining that Matt never had enough time to throw the ball, and that he was getting hit too much?  So the Falcons addressed the O Line.

Weren't there people on here, as well as draft pundits, that were saying that this draft was "loaded" with defensive line talent?  With that said, there's still time......Easy guys....

12 minutes ago, FalconofShadows said:

The problem is now you have all this money tied up at guard where only 2 people can start. Jamon Brown 3 year Deal prettyt good sized contract. James Carpenter 4 year deal again pretty decent money, you have schwiezer eho is good depth and Brandon Fusco who you already paid 2mill signing bonus  and played well for us until he got hurt.  So now you have all of the ASSETS that we had this offseasone into 3 OGs and 2 RTs  and then signed a bunch of ow level Dlineman and just expect the defense to be great cause Quinn is going to be HC/DC makes no since. 

If we were in this situation with the roster last year before our starting guards went down, we probably would have made it to the playoffs. MR2 was in MVP form even without a run game. We have tons of defensive players returning from injury. If anything, this time will look a lot like the 2016 team.  I wouldn’t be surprised if we put up ~500 points.  

Posted (edited)

21 minutes ago, 32wood84white said:

So im kind of lost on the confusion. We don’t have what could be 5 solid starters and trash depth, we have what could be 5 solid starters with legit depth. We haven’t had legit depth in years at O line and **** last year we didn’t even have 5 solid starters.

Who do you seeing the offensive line starters?    Do you see the first round picks as instant starters or phased in gradually?

Edited by JeffAtl

The problem is that no one suspected this is what they would do.  Although many were zoned in on the Falcons taking an OL with #14, nobody was clearly identifying Chris Lindstrom as the person it would be.  And, nobody was predicting the Falcons would trade up for a 2nd OL in the first round, especially one named Caleb McGary.

This board, the media, and every "expert" are now overwhelmed because TD pulled moves nobody saw coming.

2 minutes ago, dyrtysouth2000 said:

Some people are never going to be happy, unless the Falcons draft who THEY think the Falcons should draft.  IMHO, I think addressing the O Line early was a good strategy. 

Weren't there people on here complaining that Matt never had enough time to throw the ball, and that he was getting hit too much?  So the Falcons addressed the O Line.

Weren't there people on here, as well as draft pundits, that were saying that this draft was "loaded" with defensive line talent?  With that said, there's still time......Easy guys....

Please.....don't confuse people with logic and common sense. It's insulting to their emotional attatchments to certain players or draft wants.

I have no problems building up the trenches.

I've just been waiting for them to do that with the defensive line and pass rush for several years ever it seems.

Also I've seen this movie.  Score points in the regular season get into the post season then watch the lead slip away because the other team makes key stops and turnovers in the 2nd half and the Falcons defense doesn't.

Falcons response?  Draft more offense....

At the end of every season I find myself saying they need to improve the defense... and most of the time they invest heavily in the offense.

6 minutes ago, FalconofShadows said:

Remember the super bowl when the offense ground to a halt because 2 Olinemen went down and the center was playing on a broken leg?

Remember the 17 playoffs where LeVitre went down and the OLine play suffered badly?

Remember last year when both starting guards went down and the RT's play went south?

Falcons do. What they have, assuming they got it right with the 2 first rounders, is the best OLine depth in the league. Every team wants to have 8 starting quality Olinemen, Falcons do.

Fusco can be cut this year  and save 3 mil in cap room, Cutting Wes saves another 2 mil. Ty can be cut next year for a 1 mil cap hit, 4 mil in savings.  Carpenter can be cut next year for  2.7 mil cap hit.

Yeah, not what I would have done, but Quinn did say after the season that the only Oline that were safe were Jake and Mack. Blank said recently that they weren't done with the Oline. They weren't kidding.

red falcon likes this

6 minutes ago, JeffAtl said:

Who do you seeing the offensive line starters?    Do you see the first round picks as instant starters or phased in gradually?

Truthfully Jeff I have no clue. But I truly believe this year when DQ says there’s gonna be a battle, the best 5 will play. At least this year, we hopefully have good players battling where as the last few years we’ve had depth battling for a starting position.

And to me the even better part is we now have 5 preseason games to figure it out. What a great advantage that is.

FalconBlood23 likes this

8 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

I've just been waiting for them to do that with the defensive line and pass rush for several years ever it seems.

Also I've seen this movie.  Score points in the regular season get into the post season then watch the lead slip away because the other team makes key stops and turnovers in the 2nd half and the Falcons defense doesn't.

At the end of every season I find myself saying they need to improve the defense... and most of the time they invest heavily in the offense.

The falcons have never done this in the dimitroff era. They have never invested in the offensive line for free agency and the draft. This is different. 

red falcon and NeonDeion like this

37 minutes ago, 32wood84white said:

Early in the off season TD spoke about guard becoming a prime position that you may have to spend prime money for to get in Free Agency. We didn’t hand out monster contracts but contracts in the PAST that would scream starter.

Now we turn around and take what the Falcons obviously believe to be two first round talents and if you listened to TD’s and DQ’s interview, they have no issue letting the best 5 win even if that means one of the guards we signed is on the bench with their price tag. As TD said, they don’t want to be in a position as they were last year where injuries could come into play.

I thought we all learned you can never have enough talent at offensive line. And in one night that went out the door.

Thomas Dimitroff is an Idiot and will probably be 10 and 6 this year.

16 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

In rounds 1-3 of the last 6 drafts prior to this year: 4 offensive picks, 12 defensive picks. 

6 minutes ago, 81KJW said:

Thomas Dimitroff is an Idiot and will probably be 10 and 6 this year.

So, why are all the picks posters don't like TD's fault and all the picks  they do like because of DQ and Pioli?

NeonDeion likes this

1 minute ago, ukfalc said:

You need to switch to alcohol free beer.... less sugar   ;-)

You mean, free of alcohol, or free alcohol? 

Among fans, the draft is and always has been, an exercise in shiny object obsession. If it's not a glamour position, it's not worth taking. Meanwhile, the most consistent franchises historically invest in their OL regularly, even if no one gets excited about it. 

ukfalc likes this

1 minute ago, thanat0s said:

Among fans, the draft is and always has been, an exercise in shiny object obsession. If it's not a glamour position, it's not worth taking. Meanwhile, the most consistent franchises historically invest in their OL regularly, even if no one gets excited about it. 

Me? 

thanat0s likes this

I'm fine with our first pick although I wish we'd traded up before dolphins to get wilkins.  he would have helped us have a dominant def line with grady which would have helped our very thin CBs and our (to my mind) highly questionable DEs (esp beasley).  

I just don't understand our second pick, given his very mediocre assessments, and why we had to move to the 1st round to get him.  so many better players to move up for, esp. on defense.  why not get one good OL with our first pick, then move up for a high quality defensive player in the late 1st / early second round?  

couldn't we have given up our 3rd or even 2nd round pick and instead moved up in the first for a more elite player than either of our picks?