Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
etherdome

A thank you from a long time fan

39 posts in this topic

This was a bad move IMO. We already brought in 2 OLineman. Both are being paid to start and Brown is only 24 years old. On top of that we gave away our 2nd and 3rd round pick. Last time we did something like this we wound up with Peter Konz and Lamar Holmes. I was ok with the pick at 14 but we gave away our 2nd and 3rd and still have no Dline or a pass rush

44 minutes ago, B_Lo_Touchdowns said:

This was a bad move IMO. We already brought in 2 OLineman. Both are being paid to start and Brown is only 24 years old. On top of that we gave away our 2nd and 3rd round pick. Last time we did something like this we wound up with Peter Konz and Lamar Holmes. I was ok with the pick at 14 but we gave away our 2nd and 3rd and still have no Dline or a pass rush

We will have a better pass rush.  Quinn will employ more sophisticated pass rush schemes.  We will also still be able to draft defenders that will add necessary depth. 

Read a little more about Lindstrom and McGary.  I did this morning.  I think we made some smart choices. 

FalconBlood likes this

49 minutes ago, B_Lo_Touchdowns said:

We brought in the guy from the saints and Hageman is still out in the wings

red falcon likes this

1 minute ago, etherdome said:

We will have a better pass rush.  Quinn will employ more sophisticated pass rush schemes.  We will also still be able to draft defenders that will add necessary depth. 

Read a little more about Lindstrom and McGary.  I did this morning.  I think we made some smart choices. 

I am with you the O-line was awful last year and so many people forget the fact. Sure the Falcons need a few more on the D-line but you cant fix it all in one draft. The Falcons took the best players on the board on a position of need. 

They are excellent picks, regardless of the nonsense chatter on here. We have invested heavily in defense on draft day for years. Rather than gripe because we are trying to fix a long standing problem, perhaps folks around here need to demand that those previous high draft picks on defense actually start earning their money. So far, I’m not impressed, by and large. 

1 hour ago, etherdome said:

I have followed the Falcons for longer than I care to admit.  And for the past decade, I have been disappointed to the point of anger over our Offensive Lines.  I can not stand an offense that can not gain two yards, on the ground, to convert a third down.  We have been that offense for far too long.  Every draft I am disappointed that we prioritized so many other positions ahead of the OL. 

That is why it was surprising to me that I did not like the Lindstrom pick.  For weeks, I have been reading about OL's and every thing I read about CL led me to believe that he was just OK....and that there were several prospects better than him.  Heck, after the Lindstrom pick, I turned the TV off in disgust and went to bed.  I was steaming that we did not draft Cody Ford, or Jawaan Taylor. 

Well, after waking up early this am and reading more about the draft, I realize that I may have been very wrong.......almost certainly I was wrong. 

Our Front Office drafted not one, but two excellent technicians with the athletic abilities to start and succeed as rookies.  I can not be happier. 

I know that there are plenty on these boards that wanted to draft defenders first.  I get the logic, but the number one priority of this team needed to be the OL.  It had to be the OL.  So, for me, this draft is already a success.  We did not draft the names that I was most familiar with, but after reading some analysis of the prospects, I believe we got the right guys for our scheme. 

Thank you, TD, for finally paying attention to the OL.  I hope these two new guys usher in a new era of tough, successful OL's.  Lord knows it's been a long time coming. 

I'm very happy they addressed the OL, but with the caliber of DL available in this draft, I just felt there were some guys that shouldn't be passed up.    I was crushed when Miami grabbed Wilkins.   I don't know if they would have picked him if he'd been available - they left some quality defensive players on the table.

I also am surprised by the move up and giving up today's picks.   Will they move up again?   I don't know - but let's just wait and see.   We still need some defensive players.    I like the addition of Clayborn and Hage could be an ace in the hole - you just never know.   I do know that if we can't get teams off the field on 3rd down - we are in for another long season filled with disappointment.

3 minutes ago, runshoot said:

2016 falcons and 2018 rams are staring us in the face! Offense will get is there, Defense will let us down.

The defense will not let us down.  Quinn is at the helm now and we will field a heathier group.  Additionally, we have added the DT from the Saints and will see improvement from Senat. 

Rejoice, Matt Ryan will get an extra second to find the open man and we will finally convert 3rd-and-short on a regular basis.   

Just now, Tandy said:

I'm very happy they addressed the OL, but with the caliber of DL available in this draft, I just felt there were some guys that shouldn't be passed up.    I was crushed when Miami grabbed Wilkins.   I don't know if they would have picked him if he'd been available - they left some quality defensive players on the table.

I also am surprised by the move up and giving up today's picks.   Will they move up again?   I don't know - but let's just wait and see.   We still need some defensive players.    I like the addition of Clayborn and Hage could be an ace in the hole - you just never know.   I do know that if we can't get teams off the field on 3rd down - we are in for another long season filled with disappointment.

We signed the DT away from the Saints.  He is probably a better DT in these next two seasons than Wilkins and Oliver.  We will also add some pass rushers later in the draft.  TD drafted two OL's that will be ready to go from day one.  Both are smart, already have excellent technique and are athletic.   

DL has great depth in this draft.  We will take advantage of that.

14 minutes ago, Tandy said:

True, I like resigning Hags/clayborn, but the real weapon may be having DQ as DC. HAVING SAID THAT I hope we add DT, LB, CB with our remain in picks.

red falcon and Tandy like this

The team made signings on both DL and OL in the offseason to add depth. They had a lot of options when it came time to pick and chose OL. Long term they have solidified the right side of the OL through the rest of Matt's (and probably Julio's) career on rookie deals. Not bad.

25 minutes ago, etherdome said:

The defense will not let us down.  Quinn is at the helm now and we will field a heathier group.  Additionally, we have added the DT from the Saints and will see improvement from Senat. 

Rejoice, Matt Ryan will get an extra second to find the open man and we will finally convert 3rd-and-short on a regular basis.   

There is no evidence that our defense won't let us down, because 3 out of 4 seasons with Dan Quinn our defense has let us down or been mediocre. Most of Matt Ryan's career and all of Matt Ryan's good years our defense has let us down. 

1 hour ago, B_Lo_Touchdowns said:

Brown is probably one of the Gs starting btw. So if that’s case we got younger and better across the OL other than OC but I think Mack is fine a few years. 

The Carpenter signing is the only one that I kinda shake my head at as that’s a bit rich for a swing OT/OG 

15 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

There is no evidence that our defense won't let us down, because 3 out of 4 seasons with Dan Quinn our defense has let us down or been mediocre. Most of Matt Ryan's career and all of Matt Ryan's good years our defense has let us down. 

I think that Quinn will employ more stunts and disguise pass rush better this year.  We will also add some more edge and DL later in the draft.  DL is the strength of this draft, mostly because of its depth.  We will take advantage of that.

Picture this:  we convert several 3rd-and-shorts every game (that we otherwise have not for the past few years).  All in all, we keep the ball 4 minutes longer than we normally do.  We effectively take one possession/game away from opposing offenses. 

That is a win. 

Geneaut likes this

54 minutes ago, nomak said:

Some people just want flash...when we get a running game back and the offense dominates because of that, others will jump on the Qiunn/TD did the right thing bandwagon. 

100% agree.  I think some people forget how fun it was to watch turner run through holes and down the field.

nomak likes this

13 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

I’m sincerely happy to see you guys this happy.

I’m impartial. Happy? No. Angry? No. Surprised? HeII yes. When I look at the off-season as a whole, I realize that we’ve never had this much offensive line depth. If the result is that they field a GREAT starting unit with the best 5 guys of the bunch, I’ll be happy. If our defense finishes 25th and Ryan gets hit 100 times again, I’m done. This is it for me. Offense better be a top 3 unit this season. And the team better make a playoff run. Or I’m officially done with this front office and coach

2 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I’m impartial. Happy? No. Angry? No. Surprised? HeII yes. When I look at the off-season as a whole, I realize that we’ve never had this much offensive line depth. If the result is that they field a GREAT starting unit with the best 5 guys of the bunch, I’ll be happy. If our defense finishes 25th and Ryan gets hit 100 times again, I’m done. This is it for me. Offense better be a top 3 unit this season. And the team better make a playoff run. Or I’m officially done with this front office and coach

Top ten defense bro. That’s all I can say. I’m not mad, sad, butthurt, nothing. Cold? Yeah. 

3 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Top ten defense bro. That’s all I can say. I’m not mad, sad, butthurt, nothing. Cold? Yeah. 

And that’s fair. Expectations are high. And they should be. I just hope Quinn knows what he’s doing bro. I want to see the defense that he put out there at the end of the 2016 season, but better. Same group of guys, much more experience. You say top 10 defense. I say top 3 offense, and MVP caliber season by Ryan or Julio

Knight of God likes this